Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: driving lights

driving lights

Fed ex truck backed into me today breaking among other things one of the clear round lights on front cladding. Anyone replace those with either fogs or driving lights that they would recommend?

I dont know the thread off the top of my head, but I know several people have.

Search for HID and driving lights.

You've caught me mid-research into possibly this same project. Sorry to hear that your needs are a bit more "pressing" (yeah, I said it), than mine.

I'm looking for ~3-inch FOG - specifically fog - lamps, meaning they toss the right beam pattern and all, not just any old lamps that fit. It's hard to get reliable information from certain vendors that don't know, let alone explain, the differences in these things.

I was considering a pair of these round HID fogs from a vendor called... brace yourself... "Blinglights." So you can see why I have trust issues.

Where in NY are you Daly?
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Can someone, whose VX is not in the shop, please post the measurements of the socket for these lamps? There are 2 important ones, the overall diameter of the hole, and also the interior diameter of the lip that holds the lamp in place.

Socket depth would be good too, but less likely to be a concern.

Thanks,
    -V

Scott why don't you upgrade those old lamp with a not-to-expensive pilot fog lights ?

If you are interested i can drive by your house or meet elsewhere to show you mines
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    You've caught me mid-research into possibly this same project. Sorry to hear that your needs are a bit more "pressing" (yeah, I said it), than mine.

I'm looking for ~3-inch FOG - specifically fog - lamps, meaning they toss the right beam pattern and all, not just any old lamps that fit. It's hard to get reliable information from certain vendors that don't know, let alone explain, the differences in these things.

I was considering a pair of these round HID fogs from a vendor called... brace yourself... "Blinglights." So you can see why I have trust issues.

Where in NY are you Daly?
    -V

Daly & V-
    Somebody tried those Blinglights and they didn't fit...can't recall who it was....Mark was it you???

Have you seen what I had put in there? "Vision-X" Solstice SoloPrime, 860 lumen each. They're a bit pricey but awesome bright and LIFETIME warranty! And I don't get flashed on the highway. They come in both 20 and 40 degrees. I got the 40 degree light pattern. The "fins" on the back aid in keeping them cool, and lasting longer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180623853919...84.m1438.l2649

YOU CAN JUST SEE A ROUND WHITE SOLID SPOT ON THE LENS, THAT'S THE ONLY THING THAT TELLS YOU THEY'RE NOT OEM:

http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solsti...106/index.html

That round opening is approx 2.5" wide. The Vision-X are 2",s o my guy put some gasket of some kind around them to fit snug. I also had him use the OEM lens covers, and he had to cut them down but everything looks OEM...until I turn them on...

Another member tried the ones on ebay that look almost identical to the Vision-X, but later said they both failed (I don't know specifics).

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...&postcount=651

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...&postcount=654

Here's pics of the lens cover and the socket, I can't measure mine since it's been cut down in length. These might just give you rough idea.
    To remove the lenses, turn 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Mine were really tough, guess 9 yrs of crude in the gasket kind of cemented it in. But I used one of those rubbery things you can use to open jars...it worked...plus you need small fingers to get in the rim.
    These were some tower LEDs (38 LEDs about $20 each on ebay) I first tried, really bright, but one self-destructed when pbkid touched it...hehe IIRC the LED tower was 1.5" long. It didn't hit the inside of the lens.
    (And one tip...do NOT try to remove all that dirt and thick grease on the pigtail connector on the back ...that's what keeps it sealed and water-tight.)

Then I saw the Vision-X and really wanted them, so I just removed these towers. They were fine, just wanted these instead.

Last edited by VX KAT : 02/01/2012 at 08:26 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks Kat. If you ever want to upgrade your lamps, looks like your diamond shines brighter than all the other bulbs put together!

I've been considering the Vision X lamps too, but prefer to get a true fog instead of a driving lamp. It's all part of a lighting "strategy" I'm scheming.

Still need those exact measurements if there's anyone out there who can do it. It's not an emergency, as I'll get my own rig back in a day or so, but it would let me close out this one browser tab and shopping cart one way or the other.

-V

driving lights

Moncha did a how to write-up here on converting those useless lights to Hella Micro DE's and I did a follow-up mod write-up here converting them to HID's

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=42
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

^^^

Which are awesome and a wellspring of knowledge from which I shall gratefully draw.

BUT... I'm looking at a few different styles of lights and need the measurements before I buy. I'd go out to the garage and look myself, if only the shop weren't taking its sweet time getting the work done.

No big deal though, it should be too much longer now. (At least that's what I keep telling myself.) And I've never been less upset about a snowless NY winter.

-V

I have to Vision X lights mounted in the little holes next to the license plate and I love them, great customer service too.

Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

I like those vision light bulbs too.
    But i had to replace both fog lights housing because they melt down after replacing the OEM bulbs for 100watts during the summer.

I did order a set of the angel eye BlingLights, but I haven't installed them yet. The quality seems pretty good as the housing is metal with glass lenses. The first set that I ordered was too big, even though they said that they were for the VX. I emailed the guys that I bought them from, told them I needed one that was 3" or 3.5" in diameter (can't remember which) and they sent them over quickly. No shipping charge for the swap (from what I can remember) and no charge to swap to a different size.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I did order a set of the angel eye BlingLights, but I haven't installed them yet. The quality seems pretty good as the housing is metal with glass lenses. The first set that I ordered was too big, even though they said that they were for the VX. I emailed the guys that I bought them from, told them I needed one that was 3" or 3.5" in diameter (can't remember which) and they sent them over quickly. No shipping charge for the swap (from what I can remember) and no charge to swap to a different size.
    Wow, my memory must actually be working!......wohoo! ....I just didn't know the second half of the story that they exchanged them for you.

Hella Micro DE's with HID bulbs

I went the Moncha road, awesome upgrade:

It does look quite intimidating, doesn't it.

But to me it also imparts a distinctly "street" feel to the front end. Very slick and not quite in balance with the more off-pavement look I'm attempting to achieve.

Closing out my own request in this thread, I was able to get the measurements (roughly, but close enough to count) of those sockets. I'm going to replace the OEM lamps and housings with a pair of true fog lamps.
    (The ones I've purchased are the 80mm 55W H3 Halogen DE Series from Hella.) I plan to disconnect them from the lighting controls on the stalk, and wire them to an Isuzu OEM fog lamp switch to be placed in the fuzzy
    hole blank plate I acquired last year. The other two switch location will also sport OEM fog switches - already acquired - to control two banks of auxiliary lighting: a pair of driver beams mounted to the safari bar, and four
    on the roof - a pair of spots at the inboard position and a pair of floods at the outboard position.

I love it when a plan comes together. When it begins, I'll be sure to document everything in a fresh thread.

-V
    Last edited by Vendetta : 02/02/2012 at 09:34 PM Reason: Formatting, 'cause Kat's pics blew out the margins. :)