Thread: Too much of a good thing?

Too much of a good thing?

So I've been going on about how long the shop's been taking with VX, right?

Turns out, while it was in there, they completely replaced my front cladding. As in, brand-freaking new replacement.

Remember, it went in for some minor fender damage and a broken right marker light. And back in like October someone had hit the front left and broken the left turning lens, but I replaced the lens already and there was NO meaningful damage to the cladding at all.

So... why maybe too much of a good thing? Because I was going to (still am) treat the cladding all around with showroom new. And now I'm concerned that it won't come out a match, or even soak in as well on the front piece. It still has that new slickness to it.

The other thing is that I wish I knew what they were planning, I would TOTALLY have warehoused the old cladding. (Actually, I would have swapped them and warehoused the new one.) The old cladding would have been 95+% perfect after Showroom New.

I love that they went the distance, but I just hate a missed opportunity like that. Oh well, life goes on...

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Maybe they still have it and it hasn't hit the trash or recycle yet??? Worth a call.
    That is an interesting turn of events....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Oh I already emailed the shop manager, trust me. It's doubtful they'll have it though. Judging from the paperwork, this was replaced back like 6 weeks ago. Let's see what Monday brings.
    -V

Maybe I missed something, but what happened to your VX to be at a shop for 6 weeks?
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Have you seen it in person yet? The body shop in Denver replaced my front cladding back in October and I was stunned that it was a nearly exact match to the rest of the cladding. I don't know if they sprayed or dyed it (or maybe they just got lucky and found a used piece somewhere) but you can barely notice the difference.

I have, Mav. I got it back on Friday, and didn't even notice it until late Saturday. I thought my cladding had faded more than it actually did, I guess. Probably from looking at too many pictures here.

My concern is that the new piece won't absorb the SN and match the rest of the panels when I'm done.

-V

So since it's brand new and you'll need to trim it to fit your (I presume) bigger tires, why not do a test on the those triangles vs. a hidden spot elsewhere on the cladding? Maybe the inside of the rear door?

That's good thinking. I was going to do the cladding restore before the lift/tires, but I guess I could wait until afterwards.

The shop replaced my nose cone too (& I didn't think it was needed). Glad I told them ahead of time that I wanted all parts when they were done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Unless you have not kept up on conditioning the cladding since you bought it you might have a proboblem. bought mine new in early 2000 and not a week has gone by without treatment to the cladding, yep 13 years old and one owner MEEEE lol lol !