• Top of the World

2 11.76%
  • Elephant Hill

4 23.53%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Moab VX Run

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I'm leaning towards Top of the World so far, even if it does take awhile - Sue is right, I am NOT driving all the way to Utah only to come home without that picture! However I am a little scared that I might forget to drop her out of 1st when I let go of the clutch. I'm imagining Wile E. Coyote vanishing in a little puff of smoke way down below...

It's kind of a pain in the *** but yes you can. The plates fit so snug that tightening and loosening the bolts can be time consuming, but it can be done without anything other than an allen wrench.
    It's definitely worth running Top of the World, I was just suggesting it may be better to go later in the week with a smaller group. It was difficult to get a picture on the "ledge" because there were so many VXs blocking the trail. I actually skipped the pic because we were at the ledge for a while and I was ready to head down. It was still fun though & i'm down for any trail... but I voted Fins and Things

If I had the skid plates, I would remove them before hitting the trails. Better safe than sorry and there are plenty of helping hands at the stoop.

FWIW, I will say that my preference will generally be guided by the quality of scenery rather than the characteristics of the trail. That's not to say I will tackle something very difficult just for pictures - I'm just saying I would prefer trails with better views given the same level of difficulty.

Sounds like Fins and Things with a run on Top of the World later in the week might be best for me. But I defer to you guys of course.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Can you remove the skid plates at the stoop and leave them off until the end of the week? I remember someone removed their skid plates the year I went to avoid damage.
    And my skids were even a bigger PITA than Mav's for some reason. My shop had to do both, but the front was a bear. He had several vice-grips pinching the front closer to the cladding, and involved lots of pushing too.
    But you're right, there's plenty of willing "helpers" that could get it back on so I'm not adverse to removing it.

Tomdietrying used to pop his off and on really easily, maybe that's who you're thinking of.

IDEA: We can get a smaller group together for TOTW for Wed or Thursday
    EDIT>>>>>Great minds Mav...I didn't see your post moments before mine with same suggestion....

And come on...is there many pics better than this in life?

UM....ROB (DUMKE)...YOU FORGOT TO GET IN YOUR VX......

THAT'S BETTER ROB...ER, UM CAPT MORGAN......

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

You really had to post the one where I looked constipated? I was soo skeert hanging over the side because of the wind I just couldnt doo et.

I see your Captain and raise you another one

And Jo's alternate view from atop his VX is awesome.

Weather was the craziest thing up there. It went from cold/cloudly, to rain to snow to sun in a matter of 20 minutes? IMO Best view out of all the trails I have been on so far
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

As far as views...it is safe to say, pick any trail, stop anywhere on chosen trail, look in any direction you choose on said chosen trail and the scenery will be AWESOME!!!!!!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

I love the pic of Greg strapp'n a jeep up outta the abyss @ TOTW...

And Billy say no lie...everywhere ya look, it's like you're in a real life roadrunner cartoon...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Billy, we should do rose garden hill up one day! Greg saidnimcould drive his while he gets pics!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    saidnimcould

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    Billy, we should do rose garden hill up one day! Greg saidnimcould drive his while he gets pics!
    Going up the hill...that would be very challenging but I bet a locked VX could do it. I just remember one big rock ledge that Gizmo got his bumper hung up on. It would be fun to try.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Elephant Hill is a bit of a trek......
    jo
    Ive actually never done elephant hill, i just know that it was Todd's favorite trail to lead and I thought it would both be a good ode to him as well as a great trail for the beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Jack, I think for a group as large as the VX run, Elephant Hill would be a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg day.
    Ya, I dont really have any reference for elephant hill, so if someone who has done it will chime in, we can then make an educated decision.

As far as views...it is safe to say, pick any trail, stop anywhere on chosen trail, look in any direction you choose on said chosen trail and the scenery will be AWESOME!!!!!!
    Couldnt agree more Billy

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Just about any of the trails that Jack suggested can be run, scratch free, in a stock VX. Just take your time.
    That was kinda the idea with the trails that I mentioned, except maybe klondike bluffs. Its an amazing trail, but might be better run with a small group of guys and gals who dont mind a pin stripe or two.
    Ill definately be running it this year, anyone who wants is welcome to join me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    Also if anyone knows how to get to said trails include that as well. In 2010 I do remember a certain person (not naming names)taking us to Posion Spider instead of Steel Bender.. HAHA man I cant wait, Moab is right around the corner.
    Why do you have to drive over me with the bus all the time Burt? Always playing bus driver, arent you?
    Ill be happy to let someone else lead if they like, i just thought i would help the group figure out which trail they would like to do....

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

1) Jack and everybody...why don't you give a ROUGH estimate of time including to/fromfor each of the 5 you listed (say we have 15 VXs or something like that).
    I can try, but its hard to tell because it really depends on how 'gun shy' the new comers are.
    Klondike bluffs- 22 miles from town, so its a drive to and from the trail, probably 8 hours round trip
    Elephant hill- also about 70-ish miles from town each way, so it would definately be a long trip as well. probably like 10 hours, maybe not the best 'first day' for newcomers.
    Gold bar rim- only about 2 miles from town on paved roads, probably around 5-7 hours for the whole trip, this may be the best pick for the group. Fairly easy trail with lots of optional stuff for the bigger guys to play on and the newcomers to watch, plus it has an amazing view to eat lunch at. The only downfall is that this trail has one obstacle that cannot be bypassed and you will make contact with your front lower cladding and rear gas tank skid. (see below for pics)
    Fins and Things- only a couple miles from town, but requires everyone to buy a park pass to get to the trail head. The great thing about this trail is that everything on it is easily do-able with a VX, Sue, you can attest to the ease of this trail. The other great thing about this trail for a large group is that there are multiple spots that you can exit the trail if anyone is done for the day. Plus, like billy said, it gives you access to the park for a couple of days, so anyone who wants to run hells revenge, porcupine rim or just plainly see the park, now has access. Also, a very good option for a large group, including advanced or beginners. This trail can vary from 3-7 hours.
    Top of the World- The great thing about this trail is that it has the best view i've seen in moab, plus we know that we can get 20+ VX's up it. The only downfall to this one is that it is a long trail, and it really doesnt have any difficult obstacles for the more advanced guys of the group. However, it is a good break in for first timers, and the more advanced guys of the group can always run rose garden afterward. (with a VERY small group this time, 33"+ tires ONLY)

Gold bar rim-
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I did Elephant Hill a few years back with BigSwede. We had 6 or so vehicles in the group and it was still an all day affair. I think we left town around 8ish and got back around 5 or 6. That was with a stop for lunch at hells kitchen, hiking the cracks and viewing the green/colorado river confluence...all must do's. With a large group I can see this trip going into darkness.

And for those that don't know the photo above...
    That is the one and only Tone on the waterfall on Gold Bar Rim in a stock Mercedes AMG with low profile street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Why do you have to drive over me with the bus all the time Burt? Always playing bus driver, arent you?
    Ill be happy to let someone else lead if they like, i just thought i would help the group figure out which trail they would like to do....

Awww I sorry.. I was mearly poking at you because its fun. I have been on several of your excursions and enjoyed each and every one of them. Lots of laughs and fun times and memories to be had by all. UGH now I must get out and see whats stuck under my bus tire one moment.....

Ok think I got it. Jack you do a good job sir

Going up the hill...that would be very challenging but I bet a locked VX could do it.
    I would bet a non locked VX will make it up!

I would bet a non locked VX will make it up!
    Sounds like a challenge Billy, too bad you won't be around this year.