Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear door handle

Rear door handle

My Australia license plate is too wide, i had to bend it to fit where it's supposed to, so i can't access the rear door handle anymore, i use the key to pull it open, but i'm afraid of breaking it, so: I thought about removing the oem lock and replacinf with a hot rod style handle, with the key on it, this way i can lock and unlock and open it easily just turning it not having to keep it locked all the time. I appreciate the community's input, this is just an idea for the future, but i decided to share with you guys. Will.
    maybe like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-Ol...sories&vxp=mtr

or like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-NOS-tr...sories&vxp=mtr

Errrr........No; I can sympathize with your delima, but that T-Handle method would look like total crap on the back door and take away from the beautiful clean lines of the VX. I'd just live with it and open the rear door slightly ajar with the factory key. Then grab the outside right edge of the door sill with my finger tips to open the rear door the rest of the way without putting continued stress on the door key.

If not, then I'd figure out some way to mount a lateral skinny grab handle using only the top factory license plate bolt holes, so the lateral grab handle would be centered directly above the rear license plate. Perhaps some type of skinney chrome bathroom cabinet handle from a hardware store could be retrofited to bolt-up using the top license plate bolt holes as mounting points. This method would look a lot more clean and centered on the VX and not look shoddy like the lame T-Handle idea.

Just my 2-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Errrr........No; I can sympathize with your delima, but that T-Handle method would look like total crap on the back door and take away from the beautiful clean lines of the VX. I'd just live with it and open the rear door slightly ajar with the factory key. Then grab the outside right edge of the door sill with my finger tips to open the rear door the rest of the way without putting continued stress on the door key.

If not, then I'd figure out some way to mount a lateral skinny grab handle using only the top factory license plate bolt holes, so the lateral grab handle would be centered directly above the rear license plate. Perhaps some type of skinney chrome bathroom cabinet handle from a hardware store could be retrofited to bolt-up using the top license plate bolt holes as mounting points. This method would look a lot more clean and centered on the VX and not look shoddy like the lame T-Handle idea.

Just my 2-cents.

That's what i'm talking about! opinions are welcome, i still think it's handy because i could open and close the door without having to lock/unlock all the time, but yes, it would interfere on the clean lines of the VX. Let's see what other members have to say. Thank you Riff Raff!

Install a receiver hitch - buy a SuperBumper - make a bracket to attach the license plate to the SuperBumper - mount full size spare to rear door to hide the OEM license plate recess (spare gives you sump'n to grab when opening/closing the door).

EEEEEEZZZYY!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Install a receiver hitch - buy a SuperBumper - make a bracket to attach the license plate to the SuperBumper - mount full size spare to rear door to hide the OEM license plate recess (spare gives you sump'n to grab when opening/closing the door).

EEEEEEZZZYY!!!
    Looks awesome, i would do it if i lived in USA, impossible to get these parts around here, or someone that would help me to adapt, everything here is "illegal" a no one likes to get involved.

Is it illegal to have a copy of your license plate made to fit the OEM recess (pretty sure that's kinda what they do in England - but may be a different case since the plates stay with the vehicle forever)?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I would suggest installing a door popper and an electric release. Lots of good information on that here. Even if you don't do the electric release the door popper will push the door open when you turn the key...

Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

...or, just keep on keeping on.

11 years and I've never used the "handle" at all. To the point that, last summer, I noticed it and did a double-take having forgotten there was even a handle to begin with. I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course - and then use the door's edge to finish the job.

11 years.
    -V

PS: I'm installing a popper anyway. LOL
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Suction cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course
    X2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    ...or, just keep on keeping on.

11 years and I've never used the "handle" at all. To the point that, last summer, I noticed it and did a double-take having forgotten there was even a handle to begin with. I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course - and then use the door's edge to finish the job.

11 years.
    -V

PS: I'm installing a popper anyway. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    X2
    Took me about a year to see we had a handle on the back door... so yeah, pulling the key works fine.

Braas, all the mentioned options are good (except your handle idea ). You can also mount a big spare tire on the back door, thats what I use for a handle .

Hi Will, not sure how much too big your rego plate is, but I cut about 15mm off each end of my plate to make it fit inside there perfect.
    I used a dremel to make the cuts, and if you didn't know it was cut, you wouldn't see it.
    I didn't cut into any of the numbers, so still legal.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Took me about a year to see we had a handle on the back door... so yeah, pulling the key works fine.

Braas, all the mentioned options are good (except your handle idea ). You can also mount a big spare tire on the back door, thats what I use for a handle .
    I've got a half key on my keyring that only works on the back door...

Pulling on your key works for a while, but...

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Hi Will, not sure how much too big your rego plate is, but I cut about 15mm off each end of my plate to make it fit inside there perfect.
    I used a dremel to make the cuts, and if you didn't know it was cut, you wouldn't see it.

PK
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!! This is probably the very best solution of all. Thanx, PK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post

PK
    That's why i always come to this site, to "consult the oracle" hehehe! It's better this way, i'll try that. i found out that there's some room for fingers where the license plate lights are, so no big deal. Thank you