Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trans fluid??

I got my VX about 3-4 yrs now. I had the trans fluid changed immediately as part of a check list of things I did. I haven't changed it since. I've been told that since it's been so long that I should change it or it will kill the transmission. Is this true?
    ---------

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    I got my VX about 3-4 yrs now. I had the trans fluid changed immediately as part of a check list of things I did. I haven't changed it since. I've been told that since it's been so long that I should change it or it will kill the transmission. Is this true?
    Trans fluid and filter in transmissions is just like engine oil in engines. There's usually a timeframe/mileage recommended by the manufacturer for when they should be replaced.

Transmission fluids and filter changes for automatic transmissions are generally recommended at around 60k miles (after new, or, since they were last replaced), but individual driving conditions and type of fluid can change those time periods and mileages.

Atilla mentioned to "be cautious" before agreeing to a transmission flush. To elaborate, there have been several posts here where people suspect that a flush may have lead to failure of their transmissions. Some advice says to avoid it unless you know it's been done on a regular basis.

You may have already read this, but just in case others read this thread in the future, I thought it was worth mentioning. Search for "transmission flush" for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Atilla mentioned to "be cautious" before agreeing to a transmission flush. To elaborate, there have been several posts here where people suspect that a flush may have lead to failure of their transmissions. Some advice says to avoid it unless you know it's been done on a regular basis.

You may have already read this, but just in case others read this thread in the future, I thought it was worth mentioning. Search for "transmission flush" for more details.
    This is what I've heard. I got the Proton 3-4 years ago with 25k miles. It now has 94k miles. I had the fluid changed once when I first got it and haven't changed it since. Would it be ok to change now you think?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    With 70,000 since the last change, now would be a good time to change the fluid and filter. I bought mine with 150,000 miles and changed the filter and fluid to Amsoil Synthetic ATF with only good things to say about the trans performance since then, no horror stories or doom and gloom! I would NOT flush it though, too many reported problems with that procedure, usually resulting in transmission failure...
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I would NOT flush it though, too many reported problems with that procedure, usually resulting in transmission failure
    X2

I have the fear of doing a change, only because in the past, the vehicle always ran funny afterwards. I bought all the parts then I was reminded how things run after filter changes. Has anyone experienced any problems after the filter and fluid change?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmayer40 View Post
    I have the fear of doing a change, only because in the past, the vehicle always ran funny afterwards. I bought all the parts then I was reminded how things run after filter changes. Has anyone experienced any problems after the filter and fluid change?
    I had the Check Trans Temp light come on ONCE only a few hours after I had the work done. I posted here and a few others had the same thing. It has not ever come on again and it runs/shifts great.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Mine actually shifted smoother after the filter change, it was a slight change - but perceivable. The filter was very very dirty, very clogged. I never had the temp light issue - and the job went smoothly, except removing the old gasket from the pan mating surface. (it took a long time). Support the transmission with a jack, drop the crossmember with a socket and a breaker bar, drop the pan, remove the old gasket, change the filter, put a bead of RTV on the mating surface and set the new gasket, then put the pan back on with the new filter installed. Repeat for the second pan, then refill the pan with ~7 quarts of synthetic ATF.

Wash the pans with brake cleaner to remove the metal shavings which inevitably coat the bottom of the inside of the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayer40 View Post
    ...Has anyone experienced any problems after the filter and fluid change?
    I changed my own filter and fluid to synthetic not long after purchasing my VX and haven't had any problems. My VX doesn't get subjected to much severe duty though (towing, extensive off-road 4x4 usage, etc) so a VX operating under those conditions will also require more frequent trans fluid and filter servicing.

I have always been told that rtv or the likes is a no-no on trans gaskets. If small pieces of it dry out and break free they clog the small passageways and cause problems by restricting/blocking fluid flow.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

The filter is right on top of the pan, and I didn't see any small passageways in the area that isn't beyond the filter, but I'll keep an eye out. The bead size I used should not have exceeded the mating surface, even when pressed.

Ok I have two v-cross I did transmission flush this weekend.. one went good but the 2nd one slipped on me after 5 min test driving.. it shifted violently coming out of 1 st gear then rev high and shifted hard again from 1st to 2nd.. I got nervous and stopped went thru each gear with brake on and turn off and back on and it seemed ok... I went home and parked it.. any idea what might have happened. Did I over fill??
    Last edited by molivares : 02/27/2012 at 10:24 AM Reason: typo

You did a flush? Did you read through this thread at all? Flushing and changing fluid are different things. Flushing involves actively cleaning out the transmission, while changing fluids is just replacing the fluid in the pans after you turn the truck off.

You may have under-filled. If you open the fill port (the higher of the two bolts) and cycle through the gears with the engine warm, you should see a very fine drip when the fluid is at the right level. No drip, and you should add fluid (and cycle through gears). If you overfilled it, just let it drain from the fill port until its just a trickle.

Thanks, Yes I meant changing fluids.. So ether overfilling or under filling would cause this and did I cause any damage to the transmission from this skipping ?