Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trans fluid??

most likely no

Trannys are tough little SOBs and if this is the only damage you did you should be okay. It is always best to read directions first then ask any questions then after feeling fully confident you know what you are doing and have everything you need (including thinks like new gasket for the fill drain bolt) set aside enough time for the repair then start.

All together now Thanks Dad
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by molivares View Post
    Thanks, Yes I meant changing fluids.. So ether overfilling or under filling would cause this and did I cause any damage to the transmission from this skipping ?
    Dude...just fill it to the proper level, & then worry about over/under filling...

What I'm say'n here is ...R-E-L-A-X......

You're gonna be OK...

Just do this...

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    The VX has two transmission pans, the first is just behind the oil pan, and the other, larger one is behind the first. I had to buy the smaller pan gasket online (from ebay) as it was not available in any of the stores I checked. This smaller gasket is in principle re-usable, but mine was torn when I first changed the fluid.
    So.. I missed this little fact and ASSumed that it was a "rubber style" re-usable gasket... BAD ASSumtion! The gasket broke up into 10-12 segments, half of which were on the oip pan and the other half was on the tranny!

I desperately need a this "small pan" gasket and no local parts store/chain has (Felpro part number TOS 18756). Does anyone know equivalent gasket from another manufacturer?

Overall, it took me about 2 hours to clean off the gasket from the pans and from the transmission! Leaving the x-member in place and trying to work around it would have been an nightmare! I am glad I moved it out of the way (about 5 min without air tools).

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    My local CarQuest has everything I have needed for my VX's! I just picked-up the complete timing belt kit for one of 'em and it has everything, belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, gaskets, everything...While I was at it, I also got a trans filter and gasket plus the front pan gasket, they had them in stock; the counter-guy even asked if I also wanted the valve-body filter for the front pan...I didn't even know there was one (It's mounted above the valve-body, can't see it). The sweet thing about dealing with my local parts guy is that if there is a problem, he fixes it now!! There may be cheaper places online but I sure wouldn't want to lose that kind of local service...
    Vixer Fixer

It wont be the first time ive asked a stoopit question...but here it goes. How are you guys "SUPPORTING" the transmission??
    My tranny is starting to slip going from 3rd to 4th gears. Wanting to do the transmission drain and filter, and the TOD box, but cant figure out where to put a jack to support it all while I have the pans out. and I DO want to take the crossmember out.....I just hate pain in the neck bolts falling, not starting, ect... any help on this support problem?

Leon, could you check that Felpro gasket number please.....my carquest guy said that number does not come up in his Felpro book/computer. I don't want to take a chance when changing tranny fluid and not have this gasket on hand
    Thanks!

Yes... I am pretty sure that is the number, I think that quoted it about 20-30 times on the phone today .

BTW, I also found that ATP makes a version ATP EG12. But I couldn't find ANY local sources for ATP.

I was so desparite, I even tried Honda Passport and Acura SLX gasket (Honda PN 8-96014-234-0, retail $30) to no avail...

In the end, I bought 22"x11" Felpro gasket making material and made my own gasket for $7, so far, no leaks. Took me about 30 minutes to make it. Considering that I spent 2-3 hours trying to find a premade gasket, I should have gone with homemade one to begin with .

As for supporting the tranny, I just put the floor jack under the transfer case.

Floor-jack under the transfer is how I do it, no big deal...why are you dickin' around with homemade gaskets, they are readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Floor-jack under the transfer is how I do it, no big deal...why are you dickin' around with homemade gaskets, they are readily available?
    Did you read my posts? I live in one in most dence populated areas of the country, with DOZENS of autopart stores and dealers around me. I called EVERY KNOWN source! I have friends who work behind parts counter who searched their suppliers and other stores. Eventually I came to a conclusion that if I want my running next few day I had no choice but to make my own gasket!!!

4L30E maybe a common tranny, but that secondary, small pan (which goes by 5+ different names!!! ) is unique to Isuzu version. If you going to take it off: order the gasket ahea of time!!! They are, indeed, readily available... but inly if you have a 1-3 dad to spare!

BTW, the new, premade gasket is now on order! At first sign of my home made gasket leaking, it is going in!

Sounds like the only thing that's dense around your neck-o-the-woods is the parts-counter people...I live in bumm-f@#ck, fricken no-man's land and can get 'em over-the-counter! Time to move...

Thanks for the support answer. But I agree, what the he k IS the small pan called? I've read sellinoid cover, transfer case cover...others I have wrote down, but not in front of me.
    Anyway, again thanks for the support confermation.... I bought about supporting it there bat wasn't sure.

I wouldn't worry about the name, as everyone calls it something different, just get the PN I listed

Isuzu officially refers to it as the "adapter case oil pan", nothing to do with the transfer case. My CarQuest guy referred to it as the "valve-body oil pan". I'd go with Isuzu's name but hey, what the heck do I know...?

Well, I called around this morning to all the parts stores in town, and nobody could look up those numbers....considering scotts suggestion of moving. The carquest guy suggested going to a Transmission shop! DUH... Went to my local transmission shop, he also called it the valve body pan, and he made a call, and it will be here around noon today! 3 bucks!! don't have a part number yet, but I will post it when I get it!
    What is nuts about all of this, When I looked up all the numbers Leon gave, they all popped up on the internet, but not at the parts stores. Good on you Leon!

Right, time to move to bumm-f@#ck, MN

Every local store that carried Felpro, could see my part number, but they all had to order it! A few insisted on looking it up by the application, they found an "Upper Oil pan gasket" with 12 bolts, but that is NOT a correct pan/gasket!

BTW, after 200 miles and 3 passes on the race track, the home made gasket is holding-up great!