Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Panel Air Filter for VX?

Question Best Panel Air Filter for VX?

Been digging around the site for awhile now and there are surprisingly few recent threads on this topic. K&N is an obvious aftermarket option, but I've read the threads here (and elsewhere) discussing the potential for throwing codes due to oil on the MAF sensor. There are lots of posts about aftermarket cone intakes, but I'd rather stick with the stock air box, so obviously those are out. Years ago Tone sold Green Air Filters on his site, but I just checked and the only filters they list for any 2000 Isuzu are for the Hombre (). And Amsoil's website only offers you the generic Wix filter, so none of their high-performance panel filters are an option.

So my question is what are panel filter alternatives are out there, and which do folks think are best? I'm not against ordering the OEM part if it's the right answer, just thought I'd do a little digging first.

Thanks!

These are highly regarded in Motorsport and performance tuning circles...

..http://www.bmcairfilters.com/carbon-...d_pr3_4_1.aspx

Quality piece of kit...don't worry about fitment, just go for the universal Carbon Dynamic airbox and cold air feed pipe (for 6 cyl and V8 engines) and make your own induction hose/pipe back to the throttle body

Subaru Forester STi (310 bhp/330 Lbs/ft) JDM heaven

37 views and only one opinion? So unlike us... I would have thought someone would jump in by now and state that the OEM filter is the pinnacle of cleaning technology and specially designed for our VX's, and that someone else would have replied that K&N was the end-all-be-all of reusable filters. I'm so disappointed.

I've been continuing to search and haven't found any alternatives beyond those listed above (OEM, K&N, WIX). I'm sure Fram, Purolator, etc. offer generic alternatives as well, but I'm mostly trying to find somebody who still makes a performance filter other than K&N. I will post if I find something, otherwise it's probably another OEM filter for me.

Found another option but looks like it's just a K&N knock-off; it's reusable but requires oiling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kool-Blue-KP...item415fd39fa2

Maybe there really isn't any improvement to be had from the Advance Autoparts model X to the K&N cone filter. It seems that these engines aren't very tunable from a free-hp standpoint. Is that what you are looking for?

We were tired of oiling our Green & K&N filters, (and always had the fear of it messing up the MAF too), so I got Amsoil's nano airfilter for Dave's FJ. Sounded like the perfect solution, super high performance but no oiling.
    They never offered it for the VX.
    But, after a few months some critters got in it, chewed up the paper and nested in it! When I went to replace it, found it had been d/c'd......

So I've been using an OEM and he's back to using his K&N....

I don't know how the OEM compares to the Wix, but it sure sounds good when you read about it on Amsoil's site. I did buy a Wix for the VX, just haven't used it yet.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I used a green performance filter for a long time and was very happy with it. Im guessing finding it is a matter of finding the right cross reference. Unfortunately I sold mine so I can't check the part number.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I bought a K&N drop in for mine. Part # 33-2064. Haven't gotten around to putting it in yet though. I bought the K&N drop in because I already own a K&N Intake kit for my Hummer and I immediately noticed improvements with it. They are subtle, but there nonetheless. So far, I'm a believer in K&N.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Been running a oiled morgan tec since, I guess one of my first mod's. Never (yet) had a CEL.

I do when I remember to, give the MAF a spraying with MAF cleaner every other oiling
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Found another option but looks like it's just a K&N knock-off; it's reusable but requires oiling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kool-Blue-KP...item415fd39fa2
    I love the chart that states it is also available for a 2002 Vehicross.

I noticed that too H3 - but did you know there IS a valid VX VIN that comes up in Isuzu's computers as a 2002 model? I wonder if manufacturers just query some sort of reverse-lookup VIN database to populate those drop-downs...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench I've been a K&N fanboy

well...practically since I WAS a boy.

I've run them on most everything, from my old Bultaco MX bike, to a VW Thing, & currently, the VX.

Yeh, I occasionally throw a cel...but I treat that as a "time to douche the MAF" reminder light...

It's usually right after cleaning/re-oiling the filter, as I've always been of the "more is better" mindset... (just check my "all U can eat waistline")

For me, it's worth the extra effort to gain a few ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    Maybe there really isn't any improvement to be had from the Advance Autoparts model X to the K&N cone filter. It seems that these engines aren't very tunable from a free-hp standpoint. Is that what you are looking for?
    Nah, I know simple filter upgrades rarely net anything more than a few "butt dyno" HP and a slightly different sound. I'm mostly looking for something that's at least as good as stock but cleanable/reusable. Amsoil and AEM both offer reusable dry filters, but apparently not for the VX. I'm not convinced that they don't sell products that would fit though, but unfortunately their sites don't seem to have a page that lists dimensions for all their filters.

Looks like AutoPartsWarehouse carries the Green filter:
    I don't have my box so can't confirm model #.
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQG512116.html