Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...

And so it begins...

I am going to start collecting parts to make the VX trail ready! I hope to have her ready for her first trip to Gilbert, MN in late May

Here's what I am looking at (UPDATE 3/12/12):
    1. 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers - ordered - going to use the stock rims for now. (still working on fitment) They seem to be in pretty good shape and the current tires are holding air like champs. I am still looking for rims I like, but it isn't my top priority.
    2. SS Braided Brake Lines & a replacement set of CV boots (just to have on hand) from Independent4x4 or EMPI
    3. OME 913s - ordered
    4. Rancho RS9000XL F&R - IN my Possession!

Things I want but are not going to happen in the next few months:
    - Rowhard skid panels F&R
    - Belly Skid plates

Reminder, the VX will not be my normal trail rig as the Jeep is my off road baby (less expensive and more readily available parts). I want the VX to be capable, but she will mostly be my "mall crawler" (aka "tar baby")

I am open to suggestions, so if there is something important I am missing let me know. Otherwise, I hope this plan comes together!

PS - Duluth got another 10+ inches of snow today and I STILL haven't taken the VX out to play in it
    Last edited by jeeperkate : 03/12/2012 at 03:33 PM
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

Good luck with the mods, Kate. And better luck keeping them just to that list. One thing always leads to another and another.

And another.

Regarding your OME springs. Have you read Rickshaw's ridiculously helpful thread on the matter? After researching this thread and others related to the 913s and 912s, I opted for the 913s. The lift is right for me, but the ride is still compromised by my worn out factory shocks. I should look into replacing those like you are.

I'm jealous of your snow. Have fun out there! I'm living vicariously through members like you this winter.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

I did read Richsaw's post and I was leaning the way of 913s, but recently had someone convince me to go with the 912s. 913s are WAY easier to get ahold of and I can always put a spacer on it if I want to go bigger some day. I guess I am still up in the air on springs too. DARN IT, why do these decisions have to be so difficult?!?!?

When I went to lift my Jeep I had this same problem. I went with the smaller lift and have been very happy with it (3.5" Rock Crawler Long Arm if anyone is interested). It took me 3 months to make that decision....ugh crap

Thanks for the info V!

There are more than a few heeps with 2 inch lifts running 40's
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate View Post
    a replacement set of CV boots (just to have on hand) from Independent4x4
    I recommend not going with the mecatec boots Indy carries. Before Moab 2010, I replaced my inner boots with mecatec thinking they would work well and keep my CVs in good order. I only had a 2" lift & both mecatec boots ripped ON THE WAY to Moab. After 2 days in Moab, I destroyed the CVs and needed a full axle (inner/outer) replacement. Just FYI.

I have yet to rip an EMPI boot, so they get a thumbs up from me.

Where do you get the EMPI boots?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Not sure but the boots are in the EMPI catalog. I ordered several half shafts from EMPI when I was making repairs but ended up using a set of VX OEM half shafts instead. I needed to replace the old OEM boots, so I swapped out the EMPI boots onto the OEM CVs and haven't had any issues.

Well, I have been busy today since it is SOO beautiful up in Duluth today!

I took the IAC off again and sprayed everything down with carb cleaner as V had recommended earlier. It choked on the carb cleaner on the first start-up but no problem after that. I put in some Seafoam in the gas to run through. I added the VX's first stickers (a little splash of pink) and I did the Mother's restoration on my headlights! Unfortunately, my cordless drill batteries were only partial charged so I need to go over them one more time with the buffer thing. I had also hoped to spray down the MAF today but didn't quite get to that. I will save that for another day.

The big brown truck has visited my house a few times this past week as well. I have new shocks in my possession as well as a Griot's waxing/polishing kit. I saw the results some others got with that kit and was extremely impressed so I went for it!!

Here are some pics - stickers & headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Not sure but the boots are in the EMPI catalog. I ordered several half shafts from EMPI when I was making repairs but ended up using a set of VX OEM half shafts instead. I needed to replace the old OEM boots, so I swapped out the EMPI boots onto the OEM CVs and haven't had any issues.
    Awesome, thanks for the tip. I haven't ordered anything yet when it comes to the CVs. I did check the OEM boots today and they look to be in very good shape, but I figure I will need extras on hand just in case once the lift goes in it causes trouble!

However, what didn't look in very good shape was the front diff. There appeared to be quite a bit of gunk all around the front passenger side of the diff - I am wondering if I have a bad seal or something. Ah, well I will have to check the fluid next time I have a nice day.

Thanks for all the help!

913s are WAY easier to get ahold of and I can always put a spacer on it if I want to go bigger some day.

It took me 3 months to make that decision....ugh crap
    Is that the trick? I've got some 912s coming that, as far as I can tell, have been hanging out in Australia for the last month or more... Point is, unless you know people who have OME springs /in stock/ then make your decision soon, 'cuz you're going to want that 3 months for shipping time.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Things I want but are not going to happen in the next few months:
    - Rowhard skid panels F&R
    - Belly Skid plates
    FYI, rowhards plate's look great on the VX, but they offer no physical protection, they are made of fiberglass. a belly pan and sliders would be much better protection for the VX.... just my 2 cents...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    FYI, rowhards plate's look great on the VX, but they offer no physical protection, they are made of fiberglass. a belly pan and sliders would be much better protection for the VX.... just my 2 cents...
    So far, the only "real" steel belly skids custom made for the VX are the ones from Kilby enterprises. We did a group buy about 2 yrs ago, and I believe I saw a post here fairly recently about getting another one going. (I'd have to search for that thread). The one issue some mentioned was we wish they'd counter-sunk some of the bolts, which you'll notice in one of the pics.

Here's what they looked like NEW:

and USED:

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue, do you have a car lift at home or do you hang out in the bay when your VX is at the mechanics? I see more pictures of your VX up in the air than anyone else.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Sue, do you have a car lift at home or do you hang out in the bay when your VX is at the mechanics? I see more pictures of your VX up in the air than anyone else.

Yeah Mark, we gotz us a lift right in the garage.........don't ya recall how much it took us to get just the pulley system installed in the garage so we can lift the roof rack & spare on/off ......j/k

Yes, I take my camera every time I know something's going to be done on my underside...and my private mechanic shop lets me go in/under (even though I know his insurer would have a wee bit of an issue with that....
    that's how I got the CV boot pics too.

remember my 3Cs.......cats, cameras, cars....my 3 fav subjects in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    So far, the only "real" steel belly skids custom made for the VX are the ones from Kilby enterprises. We did a group buy about 2 yrs ago, and I believe I saw a post here fairly recently about getting another one going. (I'd have to search for that thread). The one issue some mentioned was we wish they'd counter-sunk some of the bolts, which you'll notice in one of the pics.
    Thank you to both of you. I definitely just want the Rowhard plates for show and would love skids for the real offroad fun Not sure if I will go to full skids or not, really just depends on how I end up using the VX. I definitely want to try it out off-road, but I am just not sure how hard I want to play. If I do decide to play hard then I may just have my fab friend whip something up for me...it's so nice having a fab friend

On another note, OME 913s were ORDERED today..YAY

Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65R18s were ORDERED and paid for today, however the shop is going to wait to bring them into stock until the VX is ready for them! Hopefully that won't be too long

Next up - order SS brake lines and a whole lot of INSTALL...woot!