Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Optima Red Top Battery

Originally posted by jim.LR>AR
    I decided on the biggest cranking amp energizer . reason : 1100 cranking and 900 cold cranking . 80 bucks compared to 150 for optima.
    Ah, but if you roll over, will your battery spill the liquid all over? Betcha didn't think about that!

ya know Wy, rolling over never crossed my mind. I tend not to risk the vehicle like that.

Not to mention the extra vibration that our truck produces on and offroad that is harder on non-Optima style batteries.

Battery just died (Interstate brand installed by dealer when VX was brand new - original battery was DOA) Off I go to check Costco for Optima.... another day another hundred off the wallet
    Andrey

Red one is $109, Yellow 159, and Blue $134 (clearance) at PepBoys. I've notived that red has more cold crancing amps then yellow as well as longer replacement (3 years vs. 1 for yellow)

Any suggestion which one to get. I've seen red ones in Costco for $99. Website of Optima is not very informative on sizes, fitting etc.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

Yellow if your running a lot of accesories and play your stereo with the car off for a long period of time. Red if you don't need that.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Blue and yellow are the same, except blue has both regular automotive terminals and the screw-top terminals from the yellow. For size info on yellow/blue see my post earlier in this thread.

got one for $99.99 at Costco - red top model 35. The 34 model has more juce 980 CA but Costco does not have it (only AutoZone $119) or PepBoys. Mine got 910 CA... not sure if I should sweat over this. They also had blue top for $143.

Had to put on the red base too. Well, looks nice and starts are a bit faster.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Went back to Pep Boys today ... told them I didn't get the red plastic plate, and my battery is about 1/4" too short for a snug fit.

The guy went in back and brought one out for me.

Ahhh.. much better...

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    FYI, Optima was bought out by Interstate a couple years ago. Interstate as a spiral cell battery just like the Optimas but under the Interstate name. It's a lot cheaper. You wouldn't be paying for the premium Optima name.

When I replaced my battery with the smaller size red top from Costco, I had to use the plastic base to boost the height, but also, the 2 metal braces on the Vx battery holder "cross bar" were spaced a little too wide apart for the battery. Anyone else have this happen and what did you do? I wedged in a few wooden shims, but they may just bounce out...

This is the Battery I use. Same technology as Optima ( Spiral Cell)
    With XTRA terminals on top not the side. ( Easier to attach READYWELDER Leads if necessary). Fits VX perfectly.

http://autosupplyusa.com/34deepcycbat.html

Dragon Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    So... I go to Costco the other day to get oil for the turkey fryer...
    .. and there onthe shelf is about 6 Optima redtops...

The very same Costco that I called and asked if they had Optima batteries. The very same Costco that the saleperson went over to the battery shelf to see what they had. Only to come back and tell me that they do not carry them, and never had at that location. So I ended up paying $115 at Pep Boys...

Granted, it is only $15. But my point is, why is there so much incompetence today?

Originally posted by Spike
    So... I go to Costco the other day to get oil for the turkey fryer...
    .. and there onthe shelf is about 6 Optima redtops...

The very same Costco that I called and asked if they had Optima batteries. The very same Costco that the saleperson went over to the battery shelf to see what they had. Only to come back and tell me that they do not carry them, and never had at that location. So I ended up paying $115 at Pep Boys...

Granted, it is only $15. But my point is, why is there so much incompetence today?
    lotsa right people are still out of work - lotsa wrong people are still at work .... go figure

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Minimum wage, non-unionized "Sales associates"...you get what you pay for.