Here's the deal ...

I bid on a set of 20" rims a few months ago - and stopped at 1000.00. Someone else won those rims at like 2200 bucks. They re-appeared on Ebay a week or so ago, so I bid somewhere in the neighborbood of 1275 - and I WON! at 1226.00 Apparently the previous buyer/bidder skipped out.

<<--- Insert problem here

I was in Dallas the day the auction ended and could not get on the internet until two days later - when I did, I saw messages from the seller freaking out thinking I was skipping out too - I sent email telling him I definitely wanted the rims and would paypal him when I returned to Atlanta within 2/3 days. He sent a message asking me to call him.

<<-- Insert bigger problem here

When I called, he said that since I didn't respond the same DAY the auction ended, he freaked and called the next bidder inline and told him he really wanted 1500 for the rims/tires, but would let them go for 1400 if he was interested. He was. BUT since I had told the dude I still wanted the rims - he said he wanted to give me first crack at the 1400.00 price - saying it was the ethical thing to do.

I told him, I felt I won the auction at 1226 - a really - REALLY good deal. That deal was closed, I did not skip out and was prepared to pay that day. He said he would not accept less than 1400, despite the winning bid on Ebay. ( this was a no reserve auction ) He did not want me to post negative feedback for him, because he would have to post negative feedback for me. Now I'm confused. When Ebay notified me I was the winner, it said I had 3 business days to contact the seller ... What did "I" do wrong ? Am I wrong ?

<<-- Insert opinion here