Thread: Only in a JEEP

Only in a JEEP

Jeep Wrangler "Death Wobble" report prompts members of Congress to investigate

Chrysler issued the following statement regarding the accusations:
    Chrysler Group vehicles meet or exceed every applicable government safety standard and have excellent safety records. All manufacturer vehicles equipped with a solid axle are susceptible to vibration and, if experienced, it can be corrected by performing minor maintenance items, such as properly balancing or changing the tires, or a front end alignment, installing a new steering dampener, or by tightening or replacing other loose or worn parts. In fact, most reported incidents – in all manufacturer vehicles equipped with or without a solid axle – are often linked to poorly installed or maintained after-market equipment, such as lift kits, oversized tires, etc. This is not a safety issue, and there are no injuries involving Chrysler Group vehicles related to this allegation. Indeed, the name you've given to this condition has no basis in fact.

What years are they talking about?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

The two members of Congress describe the problem as "a powerful shaking of the steering wheel and front wheels after a driver hits road bumps at speed," affecting 2005-2010 model year Jeep Wranglers. The news report says NHTSA has received over 600 complaints about wobbling and vibrating in Jeep vehicles since 1995, "mostly Wranglers." Indeed, YouTube is rife with videos of shaking Wranglers

600 hundred complaints in 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by ibmx2 View Post
    The two members of Congress describe the problem as "a powerful shaking of the steering wheel and front wheels after a driver hits road bumps at speed," affecting 2005-2010 model year Jeep Wranglers. The news report says NHTSA has received over 600 complaints about wobbling and vibrating in Jeep vehicles since 1995, "mostly Wranglers." Indeed, YouTube is rife with videos of shaking Wranglers
    Considering the amount of Wranglers sold this is infinitesimal. Most likely a result of worn parts or something broken when hitting oblects in the road.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

My wife has 2011 Wrangler, only 4000 miles on it. It's wheels don't vibrate,but if you hit a section of washboard road.It will bounce around.I'm assuming it's because of the short wheel base and solid axles.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    My wife has 2011 Wrangler, only 4000 miles on it. It's wheels don't vibrate,but if you hit a section of washboard road.It will bounce around.I'm assuming it's because of the short wheel base and solid axles.
    The light weight is a factor too

Both my cherokee and grand cherokees had a stabilizer shock mounted transversely in the front. When bad, this phenomenon would occur.

These units probably just need a new stabilizer shock -- especially if fitted with oversize wheels.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Good old axel tamping, it's right out of the fourties, that's 1940's, which is where the Jeep is stuck technologywise beyond the engine and transfer case. This is why the VX has dual wishbones and torsion bars in the front, instead of four link and coils all around, like the archaic Jeep CJ.

Cj's have leaves not coils all the way around.

Either way the main problem is that the jeep 4wd system leaves the front drivetrain connected and spinning at the hubs even in 2wd. The spinning axles can start a harmonic imbalance and start to bounce around all over the place.

And ancient or not the new jk rubicon is probably the best off the shelf affordable (sorta) off roader you can buy. Solid axles flex a lot better then ifs out of the box.

Leafs or coils same difference, four link in the front sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Leafs or coils same difference, four link in the front sucks.
    If set up properly not so much.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

If its leaves then its not 4 link. Just sayin.