Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $ The Nation Fuel Cost, and VX MPG Record Thread. $

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post $ The Nation Fuel Cost, and VX MPG Record Thread. $

Hey all, I know many people write about this randomly and what not, so I felt like its time to start a new thread that was 'Just' about anyone's experience with fuel cost at any given time, VX MPG Brag or Gag Records, and share ideas to help save gas. I think this will be a very helpful little post to combine ideas to better fuel economy savings for those coming up new trips and where one also can plan good places to stop and get gas nationwide by historical experience of good gas stations. Will make the search button much easier in this topic alone. .
    Last edited by CoastieCosta567 : 03/27/2012 at 11:32 AM

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Talking

I'll start the first one, I just drove down south last night to Orlando FL area from Burnsville NC and I did an average MPG of 18mpg. The first pump was driving down hill almost all the way and did 19.5mpg, the second pump driving pretty much strait did 17mpg. With a total of 615 miles. I spend $100 in 'used' fuel. First pump was near Asheville in Arden, NC area at $3.799 and got 19.001 gallons. The second pump St. George, SC at $3.639, got 9.687 gallons.

To add the extras I forget, thanks 89Vette,
    -31" tires, added to mpg calculation. My trip-omitter reads 9/10 of every more, so meaning 10% needs to be added. (ex. 10% of 300 is 30, so add 30 to the actual reading in your dash = 330 with 31' tires.)
    -50F-60F degrees outside temp.
    -Drove 65mph the whole way, 99% HWY.
    -tire pressure at 32psi.
    -EGR code on.
    -Power mode off the whole way.
    -VX roof rack, roof basket, roof scoop, wind fairing, spare tire on top of roof.
    -Proper/average Engine temp.
    Last edited by CoastieCosta567 : 03/27/2012 at 11:33 AM

Drove 450 from Wickenburg AZ to Santa Barbara Ca, some mostly straight roads, some really hilly stuff through the desert. Used 1 3/4 tank roughly. 18mpg average. When I left AZ it was $3.83 when I got to Santa Barbara it is $4.86. I did about 70-80mph the whole way with bigger tires (power button on of course)
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

Even though there are other threads on this topic, I do think there's room for fine-tuning the topic. But, I haven't taken the opportunity to sit down and list the items I feel are necessary to make accurate comparisons.

The most obvious is what brand of fuel are you using? Even if 87-octane is the most common, I've fairly sure there can be a difference between station-brands.

Another point is how much city/hwy driving do you do?

Another is outside temps (especially is less than 100% of a trip was driven on the hwy).

Tire pressure is important.

So is running temp (is your guage in showing proper thermostat function).

Is everything else operating correctly (no codes, dragging brakes, etc...)

What's on the roof of your rig? If any kind of rack is present, that could also change MPG.

Tire diameters can also play a factor. And, do you account for that in your MPG calculations?

These are the most obvious thoughts that come to mind. Hopefully, you get the idea how many variables there can be in this type of comparison.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

- I removed my roof rack for a combo of the wind noise and a tiny boost to efficiency.

- I don't go out of my way to find cheaper gas stations, but I do find myself paying a lot more attnetion to which specific areas in my travels tend to have lower prices, and which specific stations on my regular routes have the cheapest.

- Be wary of the posted price, some of the cheaper ones are cash only, and I rarely use cash for anything. I got burned on this last weekend, pulling into a big name brand for $3.91, only to realize that was the cash only price after I started pumping. CC price was $4.01, 2.5% higher. If I had driven three more blocks there was a Valejo at $3.91 regardless of payment method.

- I have actually started to pay attention to cash back CCs, whereas previously I just played the airline points game. I used went and got a Chase Freedom Visa (no annual fee), which gave me $150 in credit just for getting the card, and gives 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter. Gas was the Jan-Mar option, which worked out well for me and the wife.

- For the first time in a while I am seriously considering giving up some vehicle freedom and a bit of time by carpooling.

Been playing with gas mileage for a couple of weeks now and the best I got was 16.5mpg up from 13.5mpg. All I did was pumped up the pressure in the stock 18's from 36lbs to 44lbs and added Lucas Fuel Treatment to the tank. This was all on secondary roads back and forth to work 18 miles each way. Next I will clean the EGR and a new air cleaner. Also the weather is a lot warmer now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osteomata View Post
    - I have actually started to pay attention to cash back CCs, whereas previously I just played the airline points game. I used went and got a Chase Freedom Visa (no annual fee), which gave me $150 in credit just for getting the card, and gives 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter. Gas was the Jan-Mar option, which worked out well for me and the wife.
    It's also a good idea to watch credit card statements. I was making a cc payment online last week and on my recent list of charges noticed that from one specific gas station where I'd topped of with my cc, I'd been charged two separate $1 fees in addition to the price of the gas itself...apparently just for using my cc. When charges like that are piggybacked in at the pump, it sort of negates any discounts in the long run that a person may "think" they're getting.

ETA: I did make a recent interstate trip, but as I was towing a 6'x12' enclosed U-Haul trailer, don't think my recorded gas mileage averages will do anyone any good in this thread.

an easy tool to keep track and compare your MPG to others is this free website: fuelly.com
    etlsport, knigh7s , jHarris, breez and myself track our mileage here.

You can even compare against other identical vehicles:
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/isuzu/vehicross
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    an easy tool to keep track and compare your MPG to others is this free website: fuelly.com

That's so cool, ill get in there add my #s, Looks like the 1999's are doing good, but yet again, that moonbuggy says they do 23mpg, ummmmm questionable, but would like to know if its true. That would be crazy cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    moonbuggy says they do 23mpg, ummmmm questionable, but would like to know if its true. That would be crazy cool.
    It can't be true. If you look at their detail page....
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imtrevonte/vehicross

You'll see their is no consistency. Everything from 3.7MPG to 57.1 MPG is listed!!! WTH!!! It would seem he/she may not enter or understand the site correctly -- as this type of variance would be impossible.

I think it's a good site. OTOH, unlike Kat's forsale check list, it lacks the details I feel are important. If you're wondering what I mean, refer back to my first post in this thread -- where I talk about the details I feel are necessary to make any type of vehicle-to-vehicle comparison.

From what I see, The fuelly site is a reasonable tool to confirm/deny EPA estimated fuel ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

Thanks KAT, just signed up. Cool site!
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I notice that 65 MPH vs. 75 MPH highway driving gives me most noticeable difference in MPG.

I typically get 12-13 MPG with the 35" tires. I can get up to 16 MPG on highways going 65 MPH.

The best MPG I ever recorded:
    - October 2010
    - Weather was cold/snowy
    - Roads were mountain highways driving between 55-65 MPH
    - I had TOD ON with hubs unlocked (until I spun out in the snow)
    - Running 32" BFG mud terrians
    - Roof Rack equipped
    - VX went 405 miles on one tank, I filled up the tank with just over 20 gallons of gas and calculated 19.8 MPG.

Just gassed up my VX, calculated 14.1 mpg, which is up a little bit. I just cleaned the Dragon air intake though 2 days ago (not many miles on that tank), so it will probably tick up to over 15 like the last time I cleaned it. Gas here in Denver is still "down" around the $3.70 mark...I guess that's good? Although I noticed one place adverstising $3.64 then with small print below "with purchase of a car wash". It used to be the other way around...you buy gas and get a discount on the car wash. Sigh.

I'll be riding my Triumph Street Triple R as much as possible, since 45-50 mpg helps clear my conscience to drive the VX

I didn't buy my VX to be a daily driver, and we have had a VERY mild (they are already talking about droughts this summer) winter this year. The few snows we had allowed the VX to prove itself as I knew it would. I really love my truckcarthing!

Back in early 00s, I recorded MANY 20+MPG tanks during long interstate drives. I used to be religious about keeping the running list in my Palm Pilot. Yes, I said Palm Pilot.

I mean, these weren't even flukes. They happened routinely. I was bone stock + roof rack and have only ever used 93 octane or greater in the tank.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I used to be religious about keeping the running list in my Palm Pilot. Yes, I said Palm Pilot.