Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Absorbers / Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    If you cut them you will reduce the vehicle's roll resistance, and also increase road noise considerably. FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    How do I know about the noise factor? If you recall, way back when I started this discussion, my spring helpers were completely MIA. The only thing left was the mounting plates and bolts. So I phoned Merlin right up and for $48.00/each I got two new ones. I put them on, and voila the truck was quieter going down the road. Even my wife, with out prompting, said what did you do to quiet things down. So, that's how we know. Before versus after, it's simple.
    I agree on the roll resistance issue, not only is it perfectly explainable (there's nothing there for the vehicle to lean on through turns) but I have driven my VX hard enough to tell the difference now that I've cut the stops. I've been debating putting the stock dampers/helpers/stops on since I now have the 1.5" Daystar spacers to soften the bumps. It is a little scary at high speed...

On the other hand I've cut the stops in two different VX's now and can tell you that in my "before versus after" experience there is no increase in road noise whatsoever. The only thing I can figure is perhaps you were hearing your suspension travel more, which for some reason is noisy on your VX?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I agree on the roll resistance issue, not only is it perfectly explainable (there's nothing there for the vehicle to lean on through turns) but I have driven my VX hard enough to tell the difference now that I've cut the stops. I've been debating putting the stock dampers/helpers/stops on since I now have the 1.5" Daystar spacers to soften the bumps. It is a little scary at high speed...
    All about your springs. The stock springs are a little too spongy to add lift and chop the bump stops without creating more body roll. The 913 coil springs would help your VX feel more stable with the bumps chopped.

I only get a little body roll on hard turns with 919 coil springs, no rear sway bar & chopped bump stops. I remember having handling issues when I had 1" spacers on my stock coil springs.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post

On the other hand I've cut the stops in two different VX's now and can tell you that in my "before versus after" experience there is no increase in road noise whatsoever. The only thing I can figure is perhaps you were hearing your suspension travel more, which for some reason is noisy on your VX?
    Well, I attribute the noise abatement to the fact that the VX pretty much rides on the spring helpers, once in motion. If you check the phantom view in the JDM brochure you'll see that the spring helper almost barely touches the rest pad when stationary. In motion, everything would have to compress turning the helper into deadening device.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Bingo!!
    Vixer Fixer

Hello! Neighbor

I just bought my VX in April 2012, originally it was in silver and I painted it to solid red. I met you once in elite highway during my trip to the south.
    Same to you, i stay in Klang!
    May I know how much you bought the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I just bought my VX in April 2012, originally it was in silver and I painted it to solid red. I met you once in elite highway during my trip to the south.
    Same to you, i stay in Klang!
    May I know how much you bought the car?
    ....who are you directing your questions/comments to?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Is it possible that our spring helpers have simply worn out over 11-13 years and gotten stiffer? Any comments from original owners? I started with stock springs and went to OME 912's and get the same jaring with both of them making me think that my helpers were never sitting directly on the axle (but that's just a guess...) I get their purpose but they just seem way to stiff. I'd like to cut them but I might try new shocks first and see what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by eblank View Post
    I'd like to cut them but I might try new shocks first and see what that does.
    Many of us have replaced the OEMs with adjustable shocks (Rancho 9000XL 9 way adjustable) and they did help the overall roughness a bit, but really had little effect, if anything, on the slamming in the rear. Even on the softest setting, I'd get the hard slam, but I then had the floating effect, every time I had to stop....like your grandfather's land yacht from the 60s ...boing boing boing....

I lifted with OME 919s and have stock shocks. LOVE the feel of the rear. Also, much taller and more travel...
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I sent my VX for auto foaming this morning. Auto foaming is to apply foam into the hollow sections of the cars body & chassis members. It helps a lot on my VX handling also reduce noise and bumpy ride feeling.
    Please refer www.autofoam.com.my

I sent my VX for auto foaming this morning. Auto foaming is to apply foam into the hollow sections of the cars body & chassis members. It helps a lot on my VX handling also reduce noise and bumpy ride feeling.
    Please refer www.autofoam.com.my
    interesting, never heard of it. Looks like it's more for soundproofing rather than suspension damping /reduction. How would it be strong/stout enough to actually damp the suspension/vibration/movement of the 4,100 lb truck?

Sound dampening, yes. Suspension changes, no.

New to forum, lack of meaningful reply, posting links = spammer.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Before i foam my VX,I was also thought that foaming is only for sound dampening. However, when I reached the foaming workshop, saw one continental car (mercedes c class year 2012) was prepare for foaming as well.
    The owner said it was his second Mercedes sent for foaming, the first one done a month ago, and this was for his wife.
    I was told by him foaming actually improve car handling. Imagine a hollow bar compare to a filled bar, which is more rigid? The rigidity actually affecting the shaking condition.
    After trying on my foamed VX, I would said.....I agree, foamed car is having better handling.
    I just share my experience for reference....

Before i foam my VX,I was also thought that foaming is only for sound dampening. However, when I reached the foaming workshop, saw one continental car (Mercedes c class year 2012) was prepare for foaming as well.
    The owner said it was his second Mercedes sent for foaming, the first one done a month ago, and this was for his wife.
    I was told by him foaming actually improve car handling. Imagine a hollow bar compare to a filled bar, which is more rigid? The rigidity actually affecting the shaking condition.
    After trying on my foamed VX, I would said.....I agree, foamed car is having better handling.
    I just share my experience for reference....
    the Mercedes is a unibody construction, and i could see foam injection possible improving body rigidity in that and changing handling characteristics. the vx is a full frame truck and injecting foam into the body would do nothing for the handling as the body and frame of vehicle are separate unlike unibody were the body is the frame.. i am sorry but i would have to strong disagree with you on your claims for the vx