Thread: Google's Self-Driving Car

Google's Self-Driving Car

Steve Mahan, 95% blind, is using one of Google's Self-Driving Cars. Over 200,000 miles have been put on the cars and only 1 accident has occurred (where someone else rear-ended the self-driving car, no fault).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQp...ature=youtu.be
    ---------

Ty

selective filming

They state that it was a highly programmed route. Show the easy portions but not where you would expect problems. How does the car know what the speed limit is and where the handicap spot is? How does this 95% blind guy get a drivers license? How does this blind guy see and recognize the person he is waving to? Did you see the parking job in the handicap spot and his driveway? It looks like a blind person did it unassisted. It never states how often and what happens when there is a computer program glitch which often happens on most software programs.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

circmand.... you negative Nancy!

I really like where this tech is going. It's just not getting there fast enough. Seems to have been in a rut for some years now.

Would be cool having a full-time DD. I might hit the pub every evening and shave on my way into work every morning.

And I do like how it is a good supportive role for disabled people who need to get out and about.

Sadly, nothing is ever cost effective and I can only imagine the $$ on this type of system when it is "A Go".

Still, awesome.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

you betcha

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    circmand.... you negative Nancy!

I really like where this tech is going. It's just not getting there fast enough. Seems to have been in a rut for some years now.

Would be cool having a full-time DD. I might hit the pub every evening and shave on my way into work every morning.

And I do like how it is a good supportive role for disabled people who need to get out and about.

Sadly, nothing is ever cost effective and I can only imagine the $$ on this type of system when it is "A Go".

Still, awesome.
    Negative is the way too be safe. remember the old Cadilac V-8-6-4? POS but sold it for 2 years to get their money out of the R&D money spent. Everyone is selling mystery items that promise increased gas mileage, 100% return on your investment, etc I like to do my part to help the buyer of this stuff not make mistakes. I doubt I would like the car to do the driving. I doubt whether politicians would do away with DUI for this. I have seen people get a DUI on horses, riding mowers and bicycles all to increase money going to politicians to spend to buy votes by giving it away to special interests.

You forgot about the people that get DUIs sleeping in the back seat of their car because they knew they were too drunk to drive and decided to sleep in the back seat until morning only to be woken up by the police because they were sleeping in their car and charge with DUI because they were drunk while in the car and because they had the keys in their possession and might have woke up and started driving so they were charge with and convicted of drunk driving.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Negative is the way too be safe. remember the old Cadilac V-8-6-4? POS but sold it for 2 years to get their money out of the R&D money spent. Everyone is selling mystery items that promise increased gas mileage, 100% return on your investment, etc I like to do my part to help the buyer of this stuff not make mistakes. I doubt I would like the car to do the driving. I doubt whether politicians would do away with DUI for this. I have seen people get a DUI on horses, riding mowers and bicycles all to increase money going to politicians to spend to buy votes by giving it away to special interests.