Thread: Trans Oil Overheating light popped on. Opinions on service?

Trans Oil Overheating light popped on. Opinions on service?

SO, this weekend, I pushed out to the desert from sea level to 4K feet with about 800 lbs of guns and freinds in the VX. 100 miles each way. About an hour in, during the steepest part, I am running hot, but not overheating, about 220. I have made this drive many times before. Then the A/T oil temp light comes on. I top the hills, and drive easy the rest of the way and the light goes off after about 5 miles (I opened the windows and threw the heater on too to pull a little more heat). I pull in and I have a dripping leak on the top of the radiator that seams to stop when it cools down, I finish our adventure and on the way back, i stop to check again. The radiator is dripping again so as I am in the middle of nowhere i put in the standard Bars stop leak. That does the trick. I get home no problem and have done short trips with no issue.

Here is my plan:
    Drain the trans and replace trans fluid.
    Flush and refill coolant.
    Oil change

Any other ideas or thoughts? This is an aftermarket radiator that i replaced about 6 years ago.

Where was the radiator leaking from? If it was the cap a new one will help keep pressure and help with cooling. If it was a hose perhaps a lower pressure cap because the one in there holds more pressure than the rest of your cooling system should. Or new rad hoses if they were leaking and are older

As for the trans, I believe thats still cooled by the radiator, so if you fix that problem, the trans should follow. Still best to get rid of that burnt fluid though.

Some have installed trans coolers, I see them around 100 bucks. You could try that but is more of a bandaid fix without solving the real problem

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Well, I did the trans service, new cap and hoses. The radiator fineally showed its leak. It looks like time for a new one. Bummer.