Thread: For engineers:Anyone take the FE exam?

For engineers:Anyone take the FE exam?

Just curious. I'll be coming up to it in about 2 years. Not sure if I'm going to take it or not. I hear benefits and I hear that it doesn't help at all. Any other VXers taken it before?
    "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. -Romans 3:28

I'm not familiar with the FE.

I took the EIT when I gradumacated. I saw absolutely no benefit so I never went back to take the PE. Maybe if I'd gone with industry rather than Government, it would have made a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Same test, new name. How was the EIT? What discipline?

I have taken the EIT and the PE exam. I'm a licensed Mech Engineer in CA. It's a great selling point and allowed me to get my Senior Engineer title faster. It's also a bigger seling point to our clients. I sign dwgs every once in a while and we get to charge more for doing that. Can't officially be the "Lyrical Engineer" without being a Professional Engineer.
    Call me a geek, or maybe even nerd, but face the facts, we da ones be rulin' this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Same test, new name. How was the EIT? What discipline?
    Picture this:

It's April and in the low 40's in Knoxville, TN & the test is scheduled to be administered in the equestrian arena (has a roof but is an open building otherwise). It's an 8 hour open book test. It was MISERABLE.

There were people showing up with 2 wheel dollies loaded down with books. I showed up with 3 books (chemistry, thermodynamics, & the study guide for the EIT (I had worked every problem in the book with notes)).

You had to get a 79 or better to pass. I got a 79. My study partner got a 78. The angels were looking after T4B that day.

BTW, I'm a EE working for DOD so I make weapons ... Baldwin makes targets

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Picture this:

BTW, I'm a EE working for DOD so I make weapons ... Baldwin makes targets
    LOL .... FIRE!!! Dude...my coworker used that blasted iPhone AP and did a video of blowing up my VX!

EE working for DOD??? I'm studying EE with a photonics concentration, and I think it'd be cool do something like that. I plan on applying to Lockheed Martin's programs and a few other related areas where I could apply optics/lasers with my EE knowledge base. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    EE working for DOD??? I'm studying EE with a photonics concentration, and I think it'd be cool do something like that. I plan on applying to Lockheed Martin's programs and a few other related areas where I could apply optics/lasers with my EE knowledge base. I can't wait!
    Spent first 20 years building the first thermal imaging sight for direct fire weapons. I coulda made more $$$ working in industry but how many of those guys could honestly say they loved their job ... I did.

Spent 4 years working with LM engineers on one of their robots.

I want a career like that! Ahhh. I pray so.

I took the EIT (FE now) my last semester of my senior year of college as it was required (to take, not to pass) by the engineering school at University of Colorado, Boulder. There was no subject to specialize in, it was a general test, and still is I think.

If you are doing well in your coursework, you should do fine on the FE. I got high marks and didn't really study beyond what I was already doing for my classes.

I was scheduled to take the PE in Mechanical Engineering a couple years ago (I have a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering Sciences), but on the day of the test I was undergoing surgery for cancer, so that plan went out the window.

I've never gotten around to rescheduling the PE, and frankly it hasn't impacted my career. I am pretty sure I could pass it though. I currently work in Oil and Gas (mostly natural gas facility design) as a Senior Mechanical Engineer and Project manager.

Oh, and **** Cancer.

I'll be taking the FE in the fall

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"