Thread: Bought my first sail boat!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    The ball looks fine...think of it like a ball and socket joint.
    It should sit in the cup and be free to move.
    The movement is for two main reason..
    1) Allow mast flex, rather than breakage.
    2) Allow mast to move in all directions so it can be centered by adjusting the stays.

STAYS....are the 3 (maybe 4) wires that are attached to the mast (part way up..or top..it depends)...
    ....and secure to the bow and to both sides ( maybe stern too) of the boat....
    ...the side ones probably go to the outer hulls given its a tri.

To begin with, mast should be set straight up and down and equal side to side....adjust the stays to do this.
    To measure side to side...use the main halyard ( the rope that pulls up the mainsail.
    Secure the main halyard.....then use it to measure from where it goes into the top of the mast
    to an identical point on the bottom adjusters (bottle screws) on either side stay....like a piece of sting!
    Adjust side stays to plumb it in the middle.

Jib

Yes...it may have clips (hanks) that secure to the Fore Stay ( not main stay cable).
    If not...it is free flying , and needs to be hoisted pretty tight.
    You should then have a jib halyard (rope!) that comes out of the front of the mast (probably 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up).
    This is secured to the top (head) of the jib and pulled to hoist the jib up.

PLEASE....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I'm ready to get in the water with this thing! But not ready to get out and go nowhere really fast...

......take it easy to start...I'm sure you will.

Wear a life jacket..take a cell phone in a waterproof bag...
    ...and a SHARP KNIFE and WIRE CUTTER just in case you need to cut stuff down.

Tell a friend/spouse where you are going and when you'll be back...
    ....and stick to it.

Over the years I have lost friends that are world class sailors.....
    ..... be VERY aware that wind and water are deadly.

Enjoy....you'll be drinking rum
    .. and answering everyone with a resounding ARRRG 'afore yee know it!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    The ball looks fine...think of it like a ball and socket joint.
    It should sit in the cup and be free to move.
    The movement is for two main reason..
    1) Allow mast flex, rather than breakage.
    2) Allow mast to move in all directions so it can be centered by adjusting the stays.
    Got it, but how do I secure the mast to that ball? I've got a pin, the one in the picture, but there's no way the mast could be straight upright and that pin be put in place. The ball is too big for the mast so sit any further down on top of it.

STAYS....are the 3 (maybe 4) wires that are attached to the mast (part way up..or top..it depends)...
    ....and secure to the bow and to both sides ( maybe stern too) of the boat....
    ...the side ones probably go to the outer hulls given its a tri.

To begin with, mast should be set straight up and down and equal side to side....adjust the stays to do this.
    To measure side to side...use the main halyard ( the rope that pulls up the mainsail.
    Secure the main halyard.....then use it to measure from where it goes into the top of the mast
    to an identical point on the bottom adjusters (bottle screws) on either side stay....like a piece of sting!
    Adjust side stays to plumb it in the middle.
    Check to all this. I've gotten it "erect" and secured with the stays, there are three and they are about two feet from top of the mast.
    Jib

Yes...it may have clips (hanks) that secure to the Fore Stay ( not main stay cable).
    If not...it is free flying , and needs to be hoisted pretty tight.
    You should then have a jib halyard (rope!) that comes out of the front of the mast (probably 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up).
    This is secured to the top (head) of the jib and pulled to hoist the jib up.
    There is a single line that runs through a block bunched up at the attach point of all the mast stays. Right in the middle of them actually. I believe this is the jib halyard, I do not have a fore stay line. I can pull the jib up the side of the mast but what do I do to secure the bottom corners? There are attach points (metal rings sewn into the jib sail?) at both bottom corners of the jib. I don't think I've got the lines to deal with those, and if I do I don't know what they are and where they go, or how to (if I have/need to) handle and turn the jib. I've seen videos of it being manipulated as needed. But can't figure out how to do it. Mostly because I can't find the lines needed!

PLEASE....

......take it easy to start...I'm sure you will.

Wear a life jacket..take a cell phone in a waterproof bag...
    ...and a SHARP KNIFE and WIRE CUTTER just in case you need to cut stuff down.

Tell a friend/spouse where you are going and when you'll be back...
    ....and stick to it.

Over the years I have lost friends that are world class sailors.....
    ..... be VERY aware that wind and water are deadly.

Enjoy....you'll be drinking rum
    .. and answering everyone with a resounding ARRRG 'afore yee know it!

Jo
    and another check for safety gear. Just picked up some new life jackets today, an emergency strobe and whistle and I'm looking for a flare gun (craps expensive) I have a nice dive knife and I'll include the wire cutters. Thanks for that.

I have one friend who is in this with me for the long haul. He and I will be the ones to know how to operate (and probably the only ones to use) the boat. I really want to get great at this, there is a race called the Everglades challenge and it looks to be right up our alley! 8 days sailing from Tampa Bay area through the Everglades and finish near Key Largo. That's next March I think. AND I'm itching for the skills to sail this little dude to the Bahamas! It's about 60 miles off shore leaving from Jupiter. AND the Dry Torgtuga Islands are about 70 miles west of Key West! Flippin awesome!

I'm already talkin like a pirate!!!