Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first sail boat!

All true!
    I was over simplifying.
    I also do not have any multi-hull experience.
    More of a powerboat-er myself, I think I have a photo of one of the many tugs I've worked on, in my gallery.
    Most of my sailing was on my friends CT 36' (hull #3) Twin (wood) masts! even the blocks were wood. Teak decks and cabin.
    Against the wind we would leave the crowds in our wake.
    He sailed it threw Panama and up the east coast. (With an extended stay in the Caribbean)
    I know he still misses it but his wife is glad to be off of it.
    In fact, it's family reasons why I no long work on tow vessels.

Just want to empathize, the importance of the Rules of the Road differ for sailboats on tack. It is not always port to port..... Around here, there are lots of weekenders that love to challenge
    Last edited by Bulldoggie : 04/27/2012 at 06:53 PM
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Now yer talking my kind of sailing....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoggie View Post
    Most of my sailing was on my friends CT 36' (hull #3) Twin (wood) masts! even the blocks were wood. Teak decks and cabin.
    Against the wind we would leave the crowds in our wake.
    He sailed it threw Panama and up the east coast. (With an extended stay in the Caribbean)
    The one below is a 1926 Scottish Built Mylne ketch that I skippered.
    Its 105 ft.. and built of 3.5 inch Burmese teak on galvanized iron frames.
    All teak deck and all teak cabin housings....LOTS OF VARNISH & BRASS.

I was lucky enough to sail her from Fremantle in Australia to San Diego..
    ..through the South Pacific/Caribbean via the South Of France and Europe
    and through the Panama etc over a period of five years.

.................................................BAY OF ISLANDS....NEW ZEALAND................................
    Sad to say, she is now a neglected wreck in Sausalito....
    ....purchased in 1992 by a fool that did have a clue what it took, both financially
    and organizationally to run a yacht like this.

I was super lucky..I had a great owner with the $$'s and trust in us to do it...
    ..I hope to see her saved some day...like when I win the lotto!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So, I set everything up in the driveway just now. The mast sits on a ball but the ball seems too big, and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Obviously something isn't right here...

and with the jib sail, does it run up the front main stay cable? I think that's what it's called... I'm ready to get in the water with this thing! But not ready to get out and go nowhere really fast...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I'm ready to get in the water with this thing! But not ready to get out and go nowhere really fast...
    I love this kind of optimism! Being impulsive is one of my stronger character traits/qualities/flaws/things.

Buying a first sailboat, coming onto the VX forums for a primer, and then getting it in the water without so much as a command of the lingo or equipment. LOL That's awesome! We've lost way too much of this inexperienced enthusiasm. I'm really enjoying this thread!

So Bob, good luck to you man. And may you go absolutely nowhere really really fast before you get blown really really far away without the skills to get back.

Although that'd make an awesome story too!

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Ha! I'll probably get tired of waiting and just get it in the water tomorrow. Impulse is my middle name! and don't worry, whatever I do the first time out will be captured on a GoPro.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    The ball looks fine...think of it like a ball and socket joint.
    It should sit in the cup and be free to move.
    The movement is for two main reason..
    1) Allow mast flex, rather than breakage.
    2) Allow mast to move in all directions so it can be centered by adjusting the stays.

STAYS....are the 3 (maybe 4) wires that are attached to the mast (part way up..or top..it depends)...
    ....and secure to the bow and to both sides ( maybe stern too) of the boat....
    ...the side ones probably go to the outer hulls given its a tri.

To begin with, mast should be set straight up and down and equal side to side....adjust the stays to do this.
    To measure side to side...use the main halyard ( the rope that pulls up the mainsail.
    Secure the main halyard.....then use it to measure from where it goes into the top of the mast
    to an identical point on the bottom adjusters (bottle screws) on either side stay....like a piece of sting!
    Adjust side stays to plumb it in the middle.

Jib

Yes...it may have clips (hanks) that secure to the Fore Stay ( not main stay cable).
    If not...it is free flying , and needs to be hoisted pretty tight.
    You should then have a jib halyard (rope!) that comes out of the front of the mast (probably 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up).
    This is secured to the top (head) of the jib and pulled to hoist the jib up.

PLEASE....

I'm ready to get in the water with this thing! But not ready to get out and go nowhere really fast...

......take it easy to start...I'm sure you will.

Wear a life jacket..take a cell phone in a waterproof bag...
    ...and a SHARP KNIFE and WIRE CUTTER just in case you need to cut stuff down.

Tell a friend/spouse where you are going and when you'll be back...
    ....and stick to it.

Over the years I have lost friends that are world class sailors.....
    ..... be VERY aware that wind and water are deadly.

Enjoy....you'll be drinking rum
    .. and answering everyone with a resounding ARRRG 'afore yee know it!

Jo

Well....
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I love this kind of optimism! Being impulsive is one of my stronger character traits/qualities/flaws/things.

Buying a first sailboat, coming onto the VX forums for a primer, and then getting it in the water without so much as a command of the lingo or equipment. LOL That's awesome! We've lost way too much of this inexperienced enthusiasm. I'm really enjoying this thread!
    ...IMO , yes & no.

I am all for 'going boldly".......just dont put others in harms way when they have to rescue you.

I've seen WAY too much of that over the last few years.
    ("Stunt" sailors trying to cross the oceans in 7 ft dinghys..
    ..14 year old kids trying to sail around the world...all needing rescue!)

The advent of cheap GPS systems means everyone is a navigator now....
    The reliance on electronics, that are inherently suspect around water..
    ... is at an all time high.

I am aware that Bob's situation isnt THIS extreme..
    ....but wind and water have have a way of winning.

Be bold...but be smart...plan ahead...
    ....but be SELF reliant, and have an emergency plan.

Jo

One last thought....!

Take a paddle ...it may come in handy.

AND....

DONT go down wind (with the wind) first...

Go upwind ( into the wind) first...
    ...or at most side to side at right angles to the wind.

It's WAY easier and safer to get blown back home if things go awry....
    ...than fight back uphill , into the breeze

If I havent scared you away completely....
    ...I'm looking fwd to GoPro viral video of your adventure!!

Jo

Awesome Bob.....and 12 months a year to use it here. A lesson or two and you'll be tacking up the Wekiva like a champ. I've been considering the outrigger and sail kit they make for my ocean Kayak. Flat as the surf is here in the summer months, I think it'd be fun. They give sailing lessons at Daytona yacht club too....should you want to try the salt water
    Enjoy your new toy

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    The ball looks fine...think of it like a ball and socket joint.
    It should sit in the cup and be free to move.
    The movement is for two main reason..
    1) Allow mast flex, rather than breakage.
    2) Allow mast to move in all directions so it can be centered by adjusting the stays.
    Got it, but how do I secure the mast to that ball? I've got a pin, the one in the picture, but there's no way the mast could be straight upright and that pin be put in place. The ball is too big for the mast so sit any further down on top of it.

STAYS....are the 3 (maybe 4) wires that are attached to the mast (part way up..or top..it depends)...
    ....and secure to the bow and to both sides ( maybe stern too) of the boat....
    ...the side ones probably go to the outer hulls given its a tri.

To begin with, mast should be set straight up and down and equal side to side....adjust the stays to do this.
    To measure side to side...use the main halyard ( the rope that pulls up the mainsail.
    Secure the main halyard.....then use it to measure from where it goes into the top of the mast
    to an identical point on the bottom adjusters (bottle screws) on either side stay....like a piece of sting!
    Adjust side stays to plumb it in the middle.
    Check to all this. I've gotten it "erect" and secured with the stays, there are three and they are about two feet from top of the mast.
    Jib

Yes...it may have clips (hanks) that secure to the Fore Stay ( not main stay cable).
    If not...it is free flying , and needs to be hoisted pretty tight.
    You should then have a jib halyard (rope!) that comes out of the front of the mast (probably 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up).
    This is secured to the top (head) of the jib and pulled to hoist the jib up.
    There is a single line that runs through a block bunched up at the attach point of all the mast stays. Right in the middle of them actually. I believe this is the jib halyard, I do not have a fore stay line. I can pull the jib up the side of the mast but what do I do to secure the bottom corners? There are attach points (metal rings sewn into the jib sail?) at both bottom corners of the jib. I don't think I've got the lines to deal with those, and if I do I don't know what they are and where they go, or how to (if I have/need to) handle and turn the jib. I've seen videos of it being manipulated as needed. But can't figure out how to do it. Mostly because I can't find the lines needed!

PLEASE....

......take it easy to start...I'm sure you will.

Wear a life jacket..take a cell phone in a waterproof bag...
    ...and a SHARP KNIFE and WIRE CUTTER just in case you need to cut stuff down.

Tell a friend/spouse where you are going and when you'll be back...
    ....and stick to it.

Over the years I have lost friends that are world class sailors.....
    ..... be VERY aware that wind and water are deadly.

Enjoy....you'll be drinking rum
    .. and answering everyone with a resounding ARRRG 'afore yee know it!

Jo
    and another check for safety gear. Just picked up some new life jackets today, an emergency strobe and whistle and I'm looking for a flare gun (craps expensive) I have a nice dive knife and I'll include the wire cutters. Thanks for that.

I have one friend who is in this with me for the long haul. He and I will be the ones to know how to operate (and probably the only ones to use) the boat. I really want to get great at this, there is a race called the Everglades challenge and it looks to be right up our alley! 8 days sailing from Tampa Bay area through the Everglades and finish near Key Largo. That's next March I think. AND I'm itching for the skills to sail this little dude to the Bahamas! It's about 60 miles off shore leaving from Jupiter. AND the Dry Torgtuga Islands are about 70 miles west of Key West! Flippin awesome!

I'm already talkin like a pirate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Awesome Bob.....and 12 months a year to use it here. A lesson or two and you'll be tacking up the Wekiva like a champ. I've been considering the outrigger and sail kit they make for my ocean Kayak. Flat as the surf is here in the summer months, I think it'd be fun. They give sailing lessons at Daytona yacht club too....should you want to try the salt water
    Enjoy your new toy
    I'll absolutely be in the salt water before summer is over! That's the ultimate goal of this boat for me. Long adventure in the open ocean! But I'll stick to the closed fresh waters for now! Sanford has a large enough lake with plenty enough air to get my skill set on.

shout if you come this way
    I don't spend nearly enough time on the water these days.
    The Redfish takes a sail in minutes....and it should be pretty fast
    once I figure it out.....only ever sailed in a bathtub myself
    I joined the Navy, and never left Florida
    hahahahahahahaha
    some sailor

Well I still haven't figured out the jib sail yet. I did find information and videos on jib sails but they were all rolling furling jibs, and I don't have that. Until then, I have to figure out if that ball is going to sit any further in to the socket bottom of the mast, just doesn't look too safe to me.

I've started some sanding on the center hull, or aka, and I'm currently trying to choose a paint scheme. I'm thinking a high gloss black underside and a light blue/medium blue top side.

Hi Bob...

Well I still haven't figured out the jib sail yet. I did find information and videos on jib sails but they were all rolling furling jibs, and I don't have that. Until then, I have to figure out if that ball is going to sit any further in to the socket bottom of the mast, just doesn't look too safe to me.

I've started some sanding on the center hull, or aka, and I'm currently trying to choose a paint scheme. I'm thinking a high gloss black underside and a light blue/medium blue top side.
    If you send me photos of the issues you are talking about...

..I'll look through them and help you figure it out.

Especially the mast ball...and the position of the stays up/on the mast...
    ...and where they hook to the boat.
    Also pics of the head (top) and foot (bottom) of the jib including a few feet
    of the leading edge (Luff) of the jib.

As for black...I'd 'steer' clear of that IIWY.
    Florida heat/black paint...not a good mix...
    ...and high gloss will last about a day!

Matt finish for underside is better...as it can be wet & dry sanded
    for "smoothness" (= speed!) ...and for cleaning.

Jo

Took waayyyy too long to finally put in the water, but I did today. With a couple friends and some help from a Brittish sounding gentleman we were able to sail down wind on a lake into a cove, turn around when we ran out of water and promptly get stuck there floating slightly backwards! The guy was on the bank watching us paddle back up wind, we brought 3 paddles for back up!, and eventually told me to steer over to the shore, kicked the other two out and took me out for an impromptu lesson on tacking! Was a really nice thing for him to do! We had a blast, even though the fight to get home was a long drawn out battle into the wind! It was seriously directly in our face as we were trying to get back to the dock to get the trailer!

Jib sail is still torn, I really lost interest in it for a few months... I'm happy I took it out today though, maybe someday soon I'll repair the jib sail and look into some rigging for it, as I was informed today that my random collection of small ropes tied together and a handfull of "D" clips I took from my rock climbing gear were poor choices for sail boat rigging!