Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My VX looks like a RAV4? R U Kidding?

Thumbs up My VX looks like a RAV4? R U Kidding?

So I hope I do not offend any RAV4 owners but I was at the mall and a guy pulled up to me checking out my ride. He wanted to know what my VX was and I gave him the scoop on my 99. He liked the look of the VX but killed me when he said it looked like his RAV4. R U KIDDING ME?? Lol. I let him down easy and said the only similarity is that they are both Japanese. The VX has its own look, period.
    Last edited by lasturbo : 04/26/2012 at 12:28 AM
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I get that ALL the time, makes me sick!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

One of my coworkers calls mine a Tracker... disgusting!

Of course, I have never actually had anyone brave enough or maybe care enough check out the vehicle or actually ask me what it is. No one checks me out
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    It was just last night, at the liquid emporium...that a young fella asked me all the same stuff, then said: "I thought that was a suzuki"...

I said: "Isuzu"

He said: "that's what I said"

I said: "No, you said suzuki"

He said: "Oh yeah, I guess I did...aren't they the same?"...

Oh don't be so sensitive, there are obvious stylistic similarities. How many two door short wheel base SUVs with plastic cladding running half way up the body are there, anyway?

im pretty sure the rav 4 was copied off of the vx when the first vx was unveiled at an auto show in japan as a concept in 1993 - the first rav 4 came out in 1994...

Beyond the obvious, the VX is a premium vehicle, the Toyota is an economy model. The VX was a limited production hand-assembled concept car come to life, the RAV 4, just another mass-produced Toyota size-option model. The VX was homologated and won major rally segments and classes, I don't think the RAV has ever even raced, really. The VX was a Japan car of the year '97/98. The RAV4 never won even a booby prize. (Cut and paste this note on your dash for future reference, for when these wanna be's come round.)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Same thing happened to me...

At Autozone the guy at the register looked at my VX through the window and said, "thats cool, is it a rav 4?"

Some people are clueless and they apparantly work at Autozone.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Beyond the obvious, the VX is a premium vehicle, the Toyota is an economy model. The VX was a limited production hand-assembled concept car come to life, the RAV 4, just another mass-produced Toyota size-option model. The VX was homologated and won major rally segments and classes, I don't think the RAV has ever even raced, really. The VX was a Japan car of the year '97/98. The RAV4 never won even a booby prize. (Cut and paste this note on your dash for future reference, for when these wanna be's come round.)
    X2

That being said however...

Quote Originally Posted by Osteomata View Post
    Oh don't be so sensitive, there are obvious stylistic similarities. How many two door short wheel base SUVs with plastic cladding running half way up the body are there, anyway?
    X2

Mine has never been mistaken for another make or model, but I've been asked what the hell it is many many times.

People who know what it is respect it. People who don't know what it is but want to know appreciate it. People who think they know what it is but don't? Well, they just proved their ignorance about two vehicles and their opinions are useless to me.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Mine too has never been confused for something else. I have had pictures taking with it. people circle it. Ask if it is still made. I even had the local teriyaki shop owner bring all that worked there out to see it and interior. haha. guess i should wax it more often

I don't see why you guys are ragging on the RAV4 so bad... IMHO a two-door first-gen RAV4 is a pretty sharp looking vehicle and shares many design cues with the VX. It's just not AS good looking or powerful as a VX.

One thing I'm curious about... did the first-gen RAV4's have AWD or 4WD with a true low range transfer case? I see a mix of AWD and 4WD on Edmunds and Wikipedia, with one article even pointing out that the drive system was lifted directly from the Celica All-Trac.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    My experience...

What is it......................................70%
    Rav4............................................15 %
    Suzuki..........................................10 %
    WOW, a VX.....................................3%
    Mumble incoherently........................2%

DISCLAIMER

No (F)actual research was undertaken in order to
    bring these figures to your attention.
    Any and all semblance of accuracy is purely coincidental.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I don't see why you guys are ragging on the RAV4 so bad... IMHO a two-door first-gen RAV4 is a pretty sharp looking vehicle and shares many design cues with the VX. It's just not AS good looking or powerful as a VX.

One thing I'm curious about... did the first-gen RAV4's have AWD or 4WD with a true low range transfer case? I see a mix of AWD and 4WD on Edmunds and Wikipedia, with one article even pointing out that the drive system was lifted directly from the Celica All-Trac.
    I was shopping around for one a while back , and I only came across AWD and FWD models according to the VIN#'s .

And here is one with an All-Track motor swap!

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=329874

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    My experience...

What is it......................................70%
    Which is why my plates say "ITS A VX"
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI