Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My VX Story

Congrats! I am really happy for you...I know how badly you wanted a VX. Hopefully one day I will join you! I lost out on mine by a few hundred dollars. I just did not have the extra cash. Good luck!
    "KILLER BEE" :

Yes I am happy to have my VX, sorry you missed out on the last one. I see there are a bunch near you maybe one of them is the one. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sear...oss&catAbb=sss

Quote Originally Posted by JMNY View Post
    Congrats! I am really happy for you...I know how badly you wanted a VX. Hopefully one day I will join you! I lost out on mine by a few hundred dollars. I just did not have the extra cash. Good luck!
    Last edited by CatFish : 05/09/2012 at 09:45 AM Reason: sp

Thumbs up

Hey Chris!!!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Your new VX looks awsome.
    I guess i don't need to check out the vx in NY for you anymore hehe.
    I remember the excitment of owning a vx for the first time....it is pure happiness ^^ ....Well, hope you enjoy your VX........

Have a great day!!!
    ... congrats again !!

Jheyson,

Chapter 4:

Update on my new VX, after getting the VX home I started to work on the non-working windows, yes both windows were not working. I need to say that this was the "WORST WINDOW REPAIR EVER" or attempted window repair, and I have done a few on other cars. I took them apart and found the passenger's side had the tabs broken off and the drivers side had multiple problems. I bought the metal replacements parts from streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) and they were good and worked great to fix the broken tab problem. However there were other problems that needed to be addressed, the tracks were too tight so I widened them as suggested in the many window fix threads, then they still did not work as good as they should so I tried the bungee trick and that did not help in my case and made the motors work too hard. I then tried the slotting of the rail mounting holes and that did help, then I trimmed some of the messed up weather stripping and that made it better. Basically I tried everything listed in this thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22345 and some of it worked to make the windows better but they still are not right but do work. I see now that I need to replace the weather stripping as it is just too messed up from being smashed and left under the glass in the wrong position for so long it wants to slip under the glass every time I roll the windows up that it is now most of the problem. Does anyone know where to get new window weather stripping? Or if you can even get them anymore?

I have also started to re-new the faded and dry cladding, and I am cleaning, polishing and waxing the neglected and sap covered paint. So far it is looking pretty good. I will post a thread of parts I will need to get it back to the condition I feel it should be in and what I will be happy with. The interior is in pretty good shape but need cleaned and conditioned as did the whole car I do not think they cleaned or waxed the VX in the last 10 years, but it is still in good shape.

Chapter 5:

I finally got the VX to the Colorado emissions testing station so I can get my VIN verification and the emissions test, when I got there I went to the all-wheel drive lane and waited about 45 minutes and I was almost up to the testing lane before a guy comes out and tells me “we cannot dyno this car because the wheel base it too short so we will need to just tail pipe test it” so he pulls me over to the regular lane to test it, the first thing I thought was why did you let me sit the the long line this whole time when you knew you were going to tail pipe it? I could have been in and out a half hour ago. Has anyone had their VX dyno tested on CO or anywhere else? He said the minimum wheel base is 95” for the all-wheel drive bay and the VX is 92” so is this just at this testing station or is this standard? I am hoping to get my plates on Monday, I hope that goes well with the CA title, I have not done an out of state title transfer before. I do have all the necessary paper work so it should go good, I hope.

So far there have been a few things to fix and refurbish but nothing I can’t handle and I am overall pretty happy with the VX and I feel it was a good deal at less than $8,200 for a 47k 2001 vehicle.

is that streetboutique guy still in business? ive tried to email him a few times with no success and his website looks kinda shady and hasnt been updated in 4 years - and wow all that testing sucks for once im glad to live in indiana where they dont even look at our cars at all as far as emissions go - but then again, we dont have any fresh colorado air either...
    Last edited by evillecutter : 05/19/2012 at 01:39 PM

you can still get the weather stripping from Merlin. I got some last year.

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    is that streetboutique guy still in business? ive tried to email him a few times with no success and his website looks kinda shady and hasnt been updated in 4 years - and wow all that testing sucks for once im glad to live in indiana where they dont even look at our cars at all as far as emissions go - but then again, we dont have any fresh colorado air either...
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowgizmo99 View Post
    you can still get the weather stripping from Merlin. I got some last year.
    Yes, Tim Parker who owns Street Boutique Customs is still in biz and will make the metal items. He used to own a VX, and I even had him install my metal tabs. He's also an inventor of several things and does some gold panning equipment that he's patented.
    He's a great guy and it's not a shady biz or anything like that.

The window strips are called "a glass run" and are still avail new from Isuzu (Merlin's our parts contact). Just like Gizmo, I bought new ones from Merlin, think they were about $60-$70 each IIRC. My rubber was also very messed up, distorted and even cut in pieces...so a new one (or used) is a good idea. Remember to lube the inner channel with something like pure silicone spray.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

thanks again

Thanks yellowgizmo99 and VX KAT, I sent in a request to Merlin for the glass runs this morning. I will let eveyone know if they are still availabe and if I get them.

I also can say the new metal tabs I got from
    streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) were great they worked good and he got them to me quick, I ordered them on a Friday and got them on the next Wednesday. Great service and product.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
    Thanks yellowgizmo99 and VX KAT, I sent in a request to Merlin for the glass runs this morning. I will let eveyone know if they are still availabe and if I get them.

I also can say the new metal tabs I got from
    streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) were great they worked good and he got them to me quick, I ordered them on a Friday and got them on the next Wednesday. Great service and product.

I've found Merlin doesn't really use email much, so you probably should try to call him to order stuff, he can also give you availability.

Here's the St. Charles parts website. It lists the same prices Merlin gives us. The glass run is part #2 in schematic.
    http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / DOOR / GLASS & HARDWARE / Run channel
    run channel Right

MSRP Core ? Online Price
    $92.93 $0.00 $78.99

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / DOOR / GLASS & HARDWARE / Run channel
    run channel Left

MSRP Core ? Online Price
    $92.93 $0.00 $78.99

I ordered the Run Channel (aka door glass weather stripping)
    The price was $78.99 each which was fine with me I am just happy they are still around for me to buy.
    VX KAT you were correct, I did need to call Merlin they do not seem to responed to the email parts requests. So if anyone wants parts from them you need to just call them and ask for Merlin.

Now I need to find the plastic part the holds the window/lock buttons on the driver side, I will go to the garage sale section and look for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
    I ordered the Run Channel (aka door glass weather stripping)
    The price was $78.99 each which was fine with me I am just happy they are still around for me to buy.
    VX KAT you were correct, I did need to call Merlin they do not seem to responed to the email parts requests. So if anyone wants parts from them you need to just call them and ask for Merlin.

Now I need to find the plastic part the holds the window/lock buttons on the driver side, I will go to the garage sale section and look for a used one.

It's like $70 new (without any of the electronics).
    I have a driver's side one with a very slight crack, that's not visible when installed.
    Check out this thread, item #7. Let me know if you're interested.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...94&postcount=1

Mine is in about the same condition so it would not do me any good to get that one I would like to get one in better condition. Thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    It's like $70 new (without any of the electronics).
    I have a driver's side one with a very slight crack, that's not visible when installed.
    Check out this thread, item #7. Let me know if you're interested.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...94&postcount=1