Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cleaning egr

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    hey i dont have a code reader so do you have a suggestion of what type/brand/model might be decent/affordable and somewhat user friendly?
    You can get one at Walmart for ~$70. Just make sure it says it'll clear/erase the code. There are some real cheap ones that just read the code.

Here's one for only $52. It has some software which some website wants you to pay to get more specific info on codes and fixes, but that stuff is free all over the internets. Some of the customer reviews say it shuts off the light with a push of a button.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3030-Innova-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-for-OBDII-Vehicles/13029622

Then you'll be able to read the codes and erase 'em and turn off the check engine light in seconds. Even while you're driving without ever lifting the gas pedal.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 05/09/2012 at 07:12 PM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    You can get one at Walmart for ~$70. Just make sure it says it'll clear/erase the code. There are some real cheap ones that just read the code.

Then you'll be able to read the codes and erase 'em and turn of the check engine light in seconds. Even while you're driving without ever lifting the gas pedal.

Mark
    X-2...

I like my Aero Force scan gauge thingy...

More expen$ive, but will do all that a code reader will, + display in real time, any 2 parameters of my choosing.

so by eliminating the pcv you keep the oil vapor inside the crankcase instead of venting it into the intake manifold - which should lead to less oil burn but more sludge in the engine since that's the entire purpose of the system is to prevent oil contamination and sludge formation...but is the vapor able to actually vent through the filter? if it is venting properly and not allowing it to build up inside you would think the filter would need to be changed often because of all the oil vapor coming through it - it does makes sense that it would burn less but are you sure that is what is best for the engine? i guess it could be kind of a wash - on one hand you would burn less oil but need to change it more often because of sludge building up faster - where leaving it alone would burn more oil but should keep the system cleaner - not to mention that adding fresh oil when needed can extend the time in between changes a bit - im also assuming you would need to plug the vacuum hose for your vent to work? do you get cel from this?
    I've always viewed it as related more to internal vacuum, and a combination of factors not limited only to the PCV valve.

Yes, the main idea behind the PCV valve is based on reducing emissions (burning off oil vapors rather than venting them to the atmosphere), and if that were all that were coming into play where a VX was concerned, then keeping it in place would be best for the VX and the environment. Plus, if oil vapor leads to sludge, venting it would seem to address that problem.

Unfortunately, poorly considered piston and ring design are also factors in this case. Over time, a lack of drain-back holes in the piston bodies leads to accumulation of oil-based sludge on some piston rings, which in turn leads to the piston rings creating even MORE vacuum than originally intended for on the intake strokes, which in turn leads to even more oil vapors being drawn into the cylinders via the intake and PCV systems. In short, a vicious cycle.

Maybe it's simply a question of catching it before the cycle ever get's started that accounts for whether a person has oil usage even if using a breather filter instead of the stock PCV system, maybe not, but I'd personally rather not risk it. Can current piston/piston-ring build-up be eliminated (Seafoam, etc)? Probably no way to really tell short of engine disassembly, but some here seem to have had some success trying that too.

very interesting thanks everyone

I have the Scangauge II
    Absolutely love it. Resets codes while you are driving.
    (I still keep getting the P 0401 code)
    I think they should be Standard equipment.
    Autozone sales 'em.
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...Gauge/_/N-26p9
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

Another scan gauge user here.

I bought an inexpensive one somewhere for less than $30. It displays codes and after the fourth time cycling clears any. I'm not sure what other options you need on something like that.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Can anyone help me with an egr question. I'm gonna order an acdelco replacement. here is this listing on ebay which states it matches. but in the description it says the gasket fits vins with the 8th letter "H". My 8th is "X". Does this mean I can't use that gasket that comes with this egr? http://www.ebay.com/itm/310382019639...S:1123&vxp=mtr
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    Can anyone help me with an egr question. I'm gonna order an acdelco replacement. here is this listing on ebay which states it matches. but in the description it says the gasket fits vins with the 8th letter "H". My 8th is "X". Does this mean I can't use that gasket that comes with this egr? http://www.ebay.com/itm/310382019639...S:1123&vxp=mtr
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

that looks right to me but im still new here - here's one cheaper

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

that looks right to me but im still new here - here's one cheaper
    Thanks for the chime in. I want that one on ebay cause its Acdelco. Just want to make sure before i buy.

hey evillecutter
    just curious... did you ever find the step-by-step egr-cleaning instructions you were originally looking for? My CEL light came on last night and it threw a p1404 code at me. I'd like to start by cleaning the egr but, like you, can't find any current instructions...
    1993 Trooper (gone but not forgotten - sniff), 1999 Vx, 2003 Yukon Denali - luv em' all.

no sorry i ended up leaving the egr alone for now - never did find a walkthrough

My Vehicross arrived to me with CE light on. Checking the codes revealed two codes:

Random misfire and EGT flow restricted

I reset both codes and went for the inspection sticker. Bad idea... as my readiness codes were not sufficient, so I got rejected. I now have 60 days to re-inspect.

I will have to drive for a while and see if the codes come back. If EGR code is back, I will have to clean it and hopefully it will do the trick.

But after I get the sticker, I wouldn't mind disabling the EGR system because it is one of the most ill-conceived emission controls devices ever made! I guess it works OK, when it works, but it deposits carbon remnants all over the intake system, causing numerous other problems! Is there a popular way of disabling the EGR? I know many engines have a "block off plate", do we have something similar for VX?
    Last edited by Leon R : 12/10/2012 at 08:05 AM

30 miles later and EGR code is back . Has anyone located resent direction on the cleaning EGR (that actually work)?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.