Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you think of the new hood scoop?

it would be slick if it was molded into the whole hood insert

making it flush
    freedom is not free~the job is never done

ZU4TWO,

OH MY GOD!
    The P 3000 lights are BAD!
    I'm the type of guy that puts fogs/drive lights on all my cars.
    Even got 4 huge drive lights on my 76 mini, who needs daylight!
    The P-3000 are the best yet.
    I was thinking about changing the 3000 marker lights to green like my horns. But I think I will change the horns to Xtreme white bulbs like my to headlights and the spotlight on the P-3000!
    thanks dude!

;eekr;
    Knowledge is power!

I like the scoop, but it kinda looks like it's on backwards to me. I guess I expect it to face into the oncoming air so it can 'scoop' up the oxygen that the engine desperately needs. Why is it facing the back instead of the front?
    Canadian VXer!

The engine has lots of oxygen, or at least scooping in more air won't increase the amount of oxygen unless you are driving like 500mph. But the engine could do with less heat, so the theory behind the rear facing scoop is to extract heat from the engine compartment.

I'm glad you like the P-3K's. They sure put out a lot of light for such a small fixture. I ended up making custom white LED "bulbs" for the marker lamps. They put out a pinpoint blueish-white light. I took the blue bulbs out and put them in my horn lights.

I experimented with facing the scoop frontwards and then backwards. It actually looked pretty good either way, but I decided on the rear facing orientation for several reasons. Being that heat rises, it seemed silly to try to cram cool air into the highest part of the engine compartment. I was also lazy and didn't want to deal with all the things that get sucked/forced into a forward facing scoop (rain, leaves, bugs, etc.), this would have required installation of mesh over the opening and a more positive water evacuation scheme. The shape of the scoop footprint also mimics the curve of the hood insert and just seemed to look better with the opening facing backwards.

As for attachment of the scoop. It came with industrial strength double stick tape already applied to the bottom. The carbon fiber is so light, that the tape works just fine at securing the scoop to the hood insert. It's been on there for several months, and hasn't come off, even at 110 ;Dp; !

Yeah, I like the blue lights too, I will change the horns to the same blue as the P-3000 marker lights!;eekr;

Depending on how busy the local cops are you may get busted for the blue lights.

True - been there, done that. Blues and reds can get you in trouble. It would take a real jerk to stop you for it since I imagine it's not a real solid true blue we're talking about here, though - at least with me I had four solid red neon tubes putting out a lot more of the offending color. Cops in Jacksonville didn't so a thing, cops in Starke had nothing better to do.

Well, then it's back to green ! ;pg;

Actually!!

There is a significant pressure wave at the hood/windshield area and the rear facing `scoop' was actually blowing cold air down on top of the engine/SC and forcing the heat and dust out the open bottom.

With the forward facing scoop inside, I would think that the reduced pressure under the hood is going to result in more dust and debris on top of the engine. the air you are syphioning out the top may cause other components to run hotter because of the reduced flow under the VX.

Just a thought.

FF