Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moab 2012: The Journey Begins

Thanks Earl. The girls (and us truth be told) are pretty pooped so we're going to hang here for the night and then leave for Moab early tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to be there by 1 or 2 - any volunteers to ride shotgun while I hunt for a good welding/fab shop? Figure if I need it fixed by Friday morning I better drop it off as soon as possible.

Suggestions much appreciated! Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed that the weld holds for another 400 miles!

Smile

Have a safe trip. You are going to have a blast!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Well we got here yesterday afternoon safe and sound and then joined the folks at the Stoop for a little while (girls were pretty pooped and at this age - 3 and 9 months - they kind of dictate our schedule). Sue was kind enough to let us store the cargo platform in the room until I find a fab shop to fix it up later in the week. I'll post pics after they fix it.

The one-way trip was 1855 miles or 30 hours of drive time spread across 4 days. The VX drank 3 quarts of oil and more fuel than I expected (fuel economy really dropped when I got to all the 75 MPH zones in Kansas) but otherwise was smooth sailing. I'm told that I officially win the "Mileage Award" despite the fact that we have some folks from Canada here this year - so if any of you guys back east are thinking about making the trek some day, it is definitely possible and worth the effort.

Mav, I was gonna say, looks like an old blind woman made those welds.

Good job on the making the trip. My VX is hardly road trip friendly. It is good for about 200 miles at most. I just don't trust it, heh.

Not comfy.

Too many mechanically unsound things (make me paranoid)

Gas mileage... bwahahahaha.... oh, about 11mpg.

After about 50 miles with the S/C, I want to turn the radio up so loud that it deafens even the drivers next to me. That "whirring" is cool for 20 miles, that's about it.

Making a road trip to FL and back in 2 months but taking the STi, which I also don't trust enough since it has been highly modded, heh. I do trust it more than the VX however. I think I am really just being a Nancy, but I also always expect the worse. The cup is always half empty, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Well we got here yesterday afternoon safe and sound and then joined the folks at the Stoop for a little while (girls were pretty pooped and at this age - 3 and 9 months - they kind of dictate our schedule). Sue was kind enough to let us store the cargo platform in the room until I find a fab shop to fix it up later in the week. I'll post pics after they fix it.

The one-way trip was 1855 miles or 30 hours of drive time spread across 4 days. The VX drank 3 quarts of oil and more fuel than I expected (fuel economy really dropped when I got to all the 75 MPH zones in Kansas) but otherwise was smooth sailing. I'm told that I officially win the "Mileage Award" despite the fact that we have some folks from Canada here this year - so if any of you guys back east are thinking about making the trek some day, it is definitely possible and worth the effort.

If I can FINALLY go next year, we could probably convoy from St. Louis without having to go out of our way.

Who knows what next year will bring....

I'm really trying to get there next year too. Not sure if anyone wants to caravan wit me though since we'll be doing the RV thing & towing the VX behind (may be a little on the slow side).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

They could draft behind you for better gas mileage!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

man that's what I was going to put, you added it while I was reading, lol.

Or just get a really big trailer and we can ALL ride in the RV.

imagine the gas savings then.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    ...imagine the gas savings then.
    From who's perspective???

RV has a Triton V10. Prolly getting 10 mpg ... downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    From who's perspective???

RV has a Triton V10. Prolly getting 10 mpg ... downhill.
    Yeah, I was looking at it from my perspective.

You rent the trailer, I'll buy the gas

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Mav, I was gonna say, looks like an old blind woman made those welds.

Good job on the making the trip. My VX is hardly road trip friendly. It is good for about 200 miles at most. I just don't trust it, heh.

Not comfy.

Too many mechanically unsound things (make me paranoid)

Gas mileage... bwahahahaha.... oh, about 11mpg.

After about 50 miles with the S/C, I want to turn the radio up so loud that it deafens even the drivers next to me. That "whirring" is cool for 20 miles, that's about it.

Making a road trip to FL and back in 2 months but taking the STi, which I also don't trust enough since it has been highly modded, heh. I do trust it more than the VX however. I think I am really just being a Nancy, but I also always expect the worse. The cup is always half empty, heh.
    I hear you, especially since my VX is now highly mechanically modded as well (5-speed being the most significant). I've spent most of the last 4 months meticulously upgrading, repairing, or replacing parts on my VX to try and ensure the best reliability possible. Here's a brief list of the bigger items:

1. New Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires (including full-size spare)
    2. Rocky Road Supersliders
    3. Rocky Road Diff Guard
    4. Air Lift 1000 coil spring helpers
    5. Had ABS module repaired (thanks for the loaner Sue!)
    6. Cleaned up O2 sensor issues (one went bad and the wiring was backwards)
    7. Installed new tom4bren hitch
    8. Upgraded lighting (HIDs, LEDs)
    9. Had a Car PC installed with touch-screen OBD II reader, GPS, internet, audio, etc.

Hence why I've been off the board a LOT lately.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I'm really trying to get there next year too. Not sure if anyone wants to caravan wit me though since we'll be doing the RV thing & towing the VX behind (may be a little on the slow side).
    We'd be slow too - the girls ride great but will generally demand a food/diaper/bottle stop every 190-240 miles. Not bad, except those stops typically take an hour to an hour and a half by the time we eat, change them, walk the dog, etc.

Btw, spent about 6 hours doing Fins and Things with the group today. Pucker factor was definitely there, although I think I was more scared for Sue on a couple of the super steep uphill climbs!

Long exhausting day but the girls did great and Mr. Kilby builds a hell of a skid plate.