Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Moab 2012: The Journey Begins

Update... made it to Wisconsin Sunday evening without a problem. Man does she drink the oil though - I've put at least 6 quarts in since we left Virginia over 3400 miles ago. Interestingly I've noticed the burn mostly occurs when driving at high speed, which in most cases were 75 MPH zones in Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and Nebraska. Driving in and around Moab, in the city, and in 65 MPH zones in the other states resulted in little to no oil burn.

Here's an updated map. We stopped in Colorado Springs on the way to Wisconsin so Mahalia could see a dinosaur museum (and the girls could take a break from all the riding).

To bad you didn't get out in any of the trails in Moab that had dinosaur tracks and one I know of has dino bones.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Btw, spent about 6 hours doing Fins and Things with the group today. Pucker factor was definitely there, although I think I was more scared for Sue on a couple of the super steep uphill climbs!

Long exhausting day but the girls did great and Mr. Kilby builds a hell of a skid plate.
    Well if Andy (Kodiak's sister) and I hadn't been having so much fun laughing and such, perhaps I would have remembered to shift back into 4Lo for Baby Lion's Back......then you wouldn't have been scared!

But hey, I was determined and the 3rd try was successful....in 4Hi !!!!!!
    I made history! I'm famous now!
    So boyz, was it driving skill or VX performance?.....maybe a little of both!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Well if Andy (Kodiak's sister) and I hadn't been having so much fun laughing and such, perhaps I would have remembered to shift back into 4Lo for Baby Lion's Back......then you wouldn't have been scared!

But hey, I was determined and the 3rd try was successful....in 4Hi !!!!!!
    I made history! I'm famous now!
    So boyz, was it driving skill or VX performance?.....maybe a little of both!
    Ooooo! Not healthy on the trannu.

Finally made it home a little after midnight last night. Google Maps shows the trip was 4,354 miles, but with in and around driving in Moab, Colorado Springs, and Wisconsin it was probably well over 5,000. I changed the oil before we left Wisconsin, and after burning 6-7 quarts over the first 3,500 miles or so we burned only half a quart on the way home. That's despite the last 200-300 miles spent climbing the mountains through southeast Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia, during which I burned maybe 1/4 quart. The major difference was that the speed limit was no higher than 70 MPH on the way back, with many of the miles at 65 or under (vs. 75 MPH through much of the lower Midwest). This seems to confirm my theory that oil burn (at least for my VX) is largely driven by how fast I'm driving, with the tipping point being right around 75 MPH. Anything less than that and I barely burn, anything over that and I start hemorrhaging oil. I also kept track of my MPG for much of the trip, so I'll post that whenever I get it off my phone.

Here's the final map showing our route. Saw a lot of America along the way, 14 states by my count. I must say I felt like it was a major accomplishment to drive a 12 year old vehicle with 95K miles and an oil burning engine that far with zero mechanical issues.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Now thats a road trip....Congrats Ashley & family!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Now thats a road trip....Congrats Ashley & family!

Jo
    X2...I won't complain about my Dallas to Moab trip again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!