Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overheating w/the AC on full blast in stop and go traffic

Overheating w/the AC on full blast in stop and go traffic

Every summer it happens, and every summer I take little steps to address it. I'm installing a WRX STi heat extractor in the hood, so I have a 18"X8" rectangle cut into the metal. I'm waiting for the adhesive fastening the fiberglass extractor onto composite hood piece to finish drying. I also removed the heat shielding on the inside of the hood. I have 2 electrics fans in place, one in front of the radiator, one behind the radiator (to eliminate the fan clutch as the cause). Thermostat has been replaced, as well.

Yesterday I was sitting in a bit of traffic, and the temp was in the 90s, so I turned the a/c on full blast to see if the vented hood would help alleviate the overheating. After about 5 mins, the familiar creep began again. Turned the a/c off, temp, once again, went back to normal.

Only happens when the a/c is on. I can sit in traffic w/out it, and it behaves just fine. I recalled this thread: http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20464 I'll be contacting them about a kit early next week. I'm pretty much done w/the heat issues.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 05/17/2012 at 02:56 PM

could be the ac comp.is siezing up and causing the serp.belt to not spin the water pump pulley which would lead to over heating,

ac comp.bearings are prolly shot

That was replaced last year.

the VX should not overheat

I had mine for years in Houston TX and Bullhead City AZ. BHC is regularly one of the hottest areas in the country often outpacing Death Valley. I saw 12 days of 130+ one summer and never over heated. Before cutting the hood I would have checked all regular components. I would have started with the radiator making sure it was flushed. Also pressure cleaned to make sure air flow wasnt blocked by all the dead bugs in Texas. I would have mad sure the 2 electric fans are facing the same direction and not facing each other and canceling each other out. I would have checked the thermostat making sure it wasn't sticking. I would have had the temperature when it was over heating with a thermal temp gun too make sure it was over heating and not a faulty gauge. Also changed the fluid too make sure it is at correct strength. I might have gone so far as to add an oil and/or transmission cooler to reduce other areas of heat.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I had mine for years in Houston TX and Bullhead City AZ. BHC is regularly one of the hottest areas in the country often outpacing Death Valley. I saw 12 days of 130+ one summer and never over heated. Before cutting the hood I would have checked all regular components. I would have started with the radiator making sure it was flushed. Also pressure cleaned to make sure air flow wasnt blocked by all the dead bugs in Texas. I would have mad sure the 2 electric fans are facing the same direction and not facing each other and canceling each other out. I would have checked the thermostat making sure it wasn't sticking. I would have had the temperature when it was over heating with a thermal temp gun too make sure it was over heating and not a faulty gauge. Also changed the fluid too make sure it is at correct strength. I might have gone so far as to add an oil and/or transmission cooler to reduce other areas of heat.
    I've previously posted about this.
    1) I've already replaced the radiator. Problem not solved.
    2) Tried the electric fans in a push pull/push push configuratoin. Problem not solved.
    3) Replaced the thermostat. Problem not solved.
    4) Changed the radiator fluid when the radiator was changed. Problem not solved.

Cutting the hood is not a big deal to me. I always thought it would look pretty awesome with a heat extractor anyway, and in the mock ups, and seeing someone else's here confirmed that. So no harm, no foul. I just want the problem to stop.

Edit: Ah, here's the thread: http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...2&postcount=17

In thinking about what Willy posted, I installed a used A/C compressor. Since the 17" FFD setup mentioned above is $289 shipped (emailed them to confirm price) and a *reman'ed* compressor is $120.xx, I'm going to try the reman'ed compressor.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 05/18/2012 at 02:57 PM

I've been using Redline since Corky Bell introduced me to it back in the 90s *lol*. No effect, either.

There are several stories about VXs overheating. My first thought was that since it had to do w/the A/C, it had to be the add'l drag of a/c compressor, so it had to be something up with the compressor. Replaced it, didn't solve the issue, so then I thought about the excess heat under the hood, which the heat extractor would resolve....or so I thought *lol*.

Since the issue pretty much happens to the great majority of the sufferers when the a/c is on, it has to be the physical a/c components. Which is why I'm going to try a reman'ed compressor this time, to officially eliminate the a/c compressor as a cause.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=ac+compressor

there is an ebay link in this thread (thanks again vxorado) that has remanufactured compressors for just over $200 which was the cheapest i found and mine works flawlessly so far (i dont think im the only one who bought one from this source once we all figured out which one we needed and a place that had the CORRECT one) - there is also some info on which model you should need with which year - hope this helps

Autozone has them brand new, not reman'ed, for $199. Got a quote this morning when I went to pick up some Lucas Oil and Techron. Part # 58956, made by Everco.

if you read the thread there is a 99% change autozone has the wrong part - you can try but every place i found had the wrong part numbers in their books (including autozone) and didnt carry the ones we need - but you can try i hope im wrong

Thanks for poking me on that one. I was reading it right after I posted my response to you *lol*. Yeah.....this looks like fun

just trying to save you some trips to the parts store - even the guy who i bought if from on ebay told me that his parts book said it wouldnt fit (even thought it was listed on the website as a fit) but i told him as long as it was the one in the picture it was the one i needed - and it was - and im pretty sure your 99 would have the exact same but to be sure you can either look on the compressor or even easier there is a sticker under your hood up by the drivers side glass that tells which model you need

Thanks for the helpful information

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Really curious to see if this fixes your problem, both my vx's have done this in stop and go with ac on in the Texas heat!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.