This is why I don't understand the fascination with going the V8 route. If you swap the auto tranny for the AR-5 5-speed you keep TOD, get a more power-capable transmission, and you can bolt up to the Ecotec turbo 4-bangers that (when tuned with the factory kit) make well over 300 HP. That gives you equivalent power plus less weight and better fuel economy.

But you guys are the experts actually turning wrenches. Is there a hole in that theory?
Yes, V-8's have nice fat torque and horsepower curves while turbo 4 bangers have to rev to the moon to get their horsepower and even then their torque is lackluster. There is also the availability and expense. V-8's are produced in such high numbers and have been around so long that practically everyone knows how to work on them or can point you to someone who can. There is a huge aftermarket and knowledge base as the GM LS series has been installed into just about anything that moves. Don't get me wrong, the ecotecs are really great engines, but the VX is a pretty heavy vehicle and you're going to be running that engine pretty hard all the time, where in the same circumstances the V-8 is going to move it around in it's sleep. The ecotec is actually quite a bit lighter too, but I can't say that really adds all that much to it's value here. What's another couple hundred pounds when the vehicle already weighs over 4,000? Gas mileage is never going to be great in a vehicross. I'm sorry, but our vehicle is just not a zippy little commuter car and never will be. We weigh twice as much and take up a lot more space. I think you're mileage might be better with a 4 cyl. but if you have to rev your engine to death every time you do anything, your mileage is going to suffer substantially.