Thread: Herculined/undercoated entire Interior = Max cargo space

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Herculined/undercoated entire Interior = Max cargo space

There are pics in the for sale form of this, but figured I put some here too. I completed gutted my VX's interior and removed all the carpet and plastic. I herculined the bed and floor all the way up to the wheel wells in the front. I undercoated everything else including the roof. This is the max amount of cargo space that the VX will give you. The whole process was pretty simple, but the smell was pretty terrible for about 2 weeks until everything cured and dried completely. I had to fabricate some sheet metal covers for the wholes in the metal, but that was the most tedious part. The first pic is of the truck with the entire interior removed.

How loud is it? I really want to do this and then add rubber mats and seats.

I will say that highway driving is louder than I expected, but not terrible. The VX wasn't quiet to begin with. I can still talk on the phone without any issue. I don't listen to the music any louder than I used to. 1 can of herculiner got the job done... I think 2-3 cans of undercoat.

Marlin did this as well and when I saw it in person I was stunned at how much space our plastic walls waste! I doubt this will ever be in my future but if your VX is a dedicated trail rig or hauling truck I think this mod is definitely worth consideration.

Nice work.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 05/23/2012 at 04:30 PM

I have had my plastic removed for awhile now, and I was more suprised with how much more space the metal interior body paneling wastes than the plastic. If youre doing it for trail rig purposes, you could easily cram in an air compressor, your first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and all kinds of other seldom use goodies in that space between the internal and external body sheetmetal. I was planning on doing cover panels as well for the holes, have you considered using Dzus fasteners for them? Also on a side note, I was planning on coating mine with a product called lizardskin. It pobably doesn't have the antiskid/wear properties of the Herculiner/Rhinoliner/Bedliner type products, but it does reduce interior heat/cold and noise. You may be able to topcoat it with the conventional bedliner products too since it has a rough finish.
    Last edited by Ascinder : 05/23/2012 at 03:09 PM
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Speaking of Merlin-stien...it has been a long time since we've heard from him. He must be deep down in the sea!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I really noticed the difference today. I was putting some parts in the back of my nice VX and couldn't believe how small the rear storage area is compared to my interior-less trail rig. After my 15 hour drive home I'm thinking about some more sound deadening though.