Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts/suggestions regarding the Moab VX ONLY run....

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Some thoughts/suggestions regarding the Moab VX ONLY run....

It will never be the same without Todd......AND Linda by his side.

It is no longer a VX only run....hasn't been for a while!

So.

If I can put the stoop chat into Cliff notes ( do correct anything I get wrong!)...

Many people drive a LONG way, and drop a load o'cash to attend the VX Moab event.
    Spending a whole day ( out of 4-5 days ) in a lengthy & slow parade on
    an easy trail...
    .....tests the patience of those looking to flex their off roading cajones!

This year Dave (Gizmo / Rodeo! ) stepped up and took the new & newer
    on a trip up Top of The World...a great and stunningly scenic beginners trail.

Many others split into small groups ..by skill level, friendship or whatever...

...and did their own thing.

It worked well...

This is not to disparage Todds VX runs...more to say, his stewardship can never be matched or repeated.

May I suggest, in concert with others who "stoop chatted "on this subject, that the VX ONLY run be retired...in HONOR of Todd.

Its his legacy, and he introduced MANY of us to Moabs beauty and pucker factor !
    At times, literally holding our hand as we bested boulders
    the size of Yugos ( well..bowling balls, but they looked HUGE!)

If others agree, I would suggest a "new / newer & those that want" type run on the Tuesday...

...led & tail gunned each year by an alternating duo of experienced VX/Isuzu drivers that would like to help newbies.

I would be happy to tail or lead next year...though for the life of me I cant pronounce Cryobatic/Crytobatic/Cytoclactic....CRUST...

...and I can never remember if the ladies pee to the left ..or the guys do!!

I hope this sums up some of the 'stoop' thoughts and chat....

All input & alternative suggestions are very welcome...

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"the ladies are always right"
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    DOHHH....thanks Steve..

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    "the ladies are always right"
    ...how could I forget that

Jo

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Id be happy to permanently volunteer myself for leader or tail gunner.

I would absolutely agree that todd's vx only should be retired, with todds legacy. But I think we should propose a 'moab 101' run rather than a vx only.

The moab 101, would be an introductory course for first timers, refresher for the experienced ones, or just a scenic trail for anyone else who wants to join. That way, anyone who wants to get right at it, can go off an start the week rough and tough
    I personally enjoy showing the new guys what thier vehicles can do, and maybe a little show of the upgraded vehicles on optional obstacles.
    Lets do it!!!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Sign me up PB! I'm not a noob to off-roading, nor to Moab, but the combination of Moab and VX is new, so I defer to people with the know-how.

I never met Todd, but obviously from the impact he made to people on this forum he was a heck of a nice guy. Let's blaze some trails for him.

This years run was Fins and Things. I lead the VX run on Top of the World 2 years ago.

I dont mind leading trails sometimes, I usually lead when we do trails here, but sometimes its nice to just follow.
    --Dave

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    This years run was Fins and Things. I lead the VX run on Top of the World 2 years ago.

I dont mind leading trails sometimes, I usually lead when we do trails here, but sometimes its nice to just follow.
    That's right...... You led me down rose garden hill ........ With no skid plates! Thank god for Xanax!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

LOL but you did great and didnt get a scratch. And you have a good story to tell.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

I say retire it.

Replacing it with a "noob run/hazing"...

The possibilities are nearly endless...& we could do water boarding, live fire exercises, simulated bomb disposal, & all kinds of other fun/funny (to the oldsters) activities...

Contests like VX lift(springs & T-Bar crank), troubleshooting codes, & so on & so forth......

Kidd-ing...

But I do think we should retire the VX run, we're all jut wheel'n buds, no need to be seperated by model or brand.

And most figure out rather quickly, what skill/build level they should que up with in the morning.

x2 for Xanax...

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    With no skid plates! Thank god for Xanax!
    ...way cheaper and more fun than Kilby plates!

jo

I agree with your idea Jo, but I would suggest we extend the rotating trail leader / gunner idea to the whole week. Otherwise the newbs and/or members with less interest / capability for difficult trails will spend the rest of the week searching for leaders. Someone stepped up every day, but deciding on a rotation (if not a trail) in advance would help the novice runs be better organized and (hopefully) start earlier.

Just a thought.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I agree with your idea Jo, but I would suggest we extend the rotating trail leader / gunner idea to the whole week. Otherwise the newbs and/or members with less interest / capability for difficult trails will spend the rest of the week searching for leaders. Someone stepped up every day, but deciding on a rotation (if not a trail) in advance would help the novice runs be better organized and (hopefully) start earlier.

Just a thought.
    And that has WHAT to do with Xanax?......

Sorry Ash, couldn't resist...

Choosing pre-designated trail Boss's & Tail Gunnerz sounds like some sort of attempt to organize.........

Ya might as well try to herd cats...

Ash...you also have to realize that not all that show up are on this board (there are peeps from at least 3 other boards that I know of). Also organization leads to other problems which is why Zuzoo is now an unifficial, unorganized "get together". Organization requires permits, permits require insurance, insurance equals big $$$...to make it leagle. Through Todd we used to get permited under ejs and the insurance for the week was reasonable...then the blm jacked the ins. rates sky high. The insurance wasn't to cover us but to cover damage to trail property. That is when the "organization" ended.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Seems that friends could simply pick times and leaders without requiring legal intervention. But that's not my area of expertise so maybe not.

I'm just saying that for members who can only visit every few years or maybe once ever a tiny bit of organization helps maximize the experience I think. Also for those that can't stay at the Stoop it's difficult to know when and where you're going each day unless you literally camp out there all day. We chose to stay at another hotel so the inevitable baby crying wouldn't bother the group, but in future years others (like Tom since he'll be driving the RV) will probably experience the same issue. So something worth considering I think.

I had a great time and everyone was absolutely welcoming, helpful, and great with the girls. I'm just offering a few thoughts as a new guy to the event to try and make it even better.

IMO...I dont think any set organization is needed.....

...beyond an initial new wheelers/ unmodified run.

I think that by the end of the "newbie" run, and after a beverage and chat at the stoop...
    ..most will have figured out who to wheel with , and what level of trails to wheel.

In past years many/most groups gathered and took off from the Portal camp ground...
    ..but now that is off the menu, the departure zone seems to be the "Stoop"

Assembling there in the morning after chatting the evening before seemed to work out fine this year....
    ...plenty of room, very patient management ()...and free ice!

Jo