Thread: thumping while going uphill

thumping while going uphill

recently my VX has started to "thump" while going uphill... started on steep consistent inclines when accelerating (like on an uphill highway entrance ramp) now it occurs on most inclines in the road and thumps as the gas is applied. the thump is regular when it occurs but does not occur constantly...seems to skip a beat or two. the TOD lights will jump from one to two as this happens, but not on every thump...maybe 2 out of every five thumps the lights correspond to the noise.

new tires bout 6000 miles ago...got 275s instead of the recomended 265s cause its all they had...fyi

any thoughts on what this could be? TOD issue?

also i shifted the vehicle in neutral while stopped into 4Wheel low and then back in drive when i went forward it sounded like a metal chunking noise accompanied by lurching. didnt go ten feet before i put it back in 4wheel high and continued on with no problem.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by myvxtobear View Post
    recently my VX has started to "thump" while going uphill... started on steep consistent inclines when accelerating (like on an uphill highway entrance ramp) now it occurs on most inclines in the road and thumps as the gas is applied. the thump is regular when it occurs but does not occur constantly...seems to skip a beat or two. the TOD lights will jump from one to two as this happens, but not on every thump...maybe 2 out of every five thumps the lights correspond to the noise.

new tires bout 6000 miles ago...got 275s instead of the recomended 265s cause its all they had...fyi
    The first thing I'd do, is to make sure all 4 tires are of equal pressure...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by myvxtobear View Post
    any thoughts on what this could be? TOD issue?

also i shifted the vehicle in neutral while stopped into 4Wheel low and then back in drive when i went forward it sounded like a metal chunking noise accompanied by lurching. didnt go ten feet before i put it back in 4wheel high and continued on with no problem.
    That's normal...4-lo is dirt only...or red sandstone...

Check the joints on your front propshaft (driveshaft). See if there is any play.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Did you replace all 4 tyres??
    Sounds typical of tyres of different diameter.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!