Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine is shot

CaptnMorgan: I am sorry for your loss.

Are there any statistics on the numbers of VXs with blown engines. Seems like this is fairly common (I recall this makes it about 5 or so engines so far, #1 in all of them). I am curious if it is the early produced models like the 99s or if it is striking randomly?????

Question

When I took delivery on my 2001 vx today(second ownership) I grilled the dealer on the warranty not all the sales folk could agree!!!
    After they came back from the huddle they told me its 3 yr 50,000 miles bumper to bumper and 6 yrs 60,000mi drivetrain.
    Should I belive them?!

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Get it in writing

Smile

Before you get it repaired... If I understood you correctly, you were wanting to trade this in anyway... How much will you take for the Vehicross right now? I need a VX for an electric conversion, so this would be perfect...

Brent
    www.xanderstudios.com

Cptnmorgan...

I had my engine (shortblock) replaced because of #1 when it was in its early 14k. And mine was an '01 too. So, I don't think that the issue is only isolated with '99s.

During the repair (under warranty), they replaced the shortblock and the timing belt since it was all taken apart. They assembled everything back with the other original parts. I believe that even though the incidences happen to VX owners every now and then, this is a common problem with the 3.5 and 3.2 engines which includes the Troopers and Rodeos (I think).

If the repair is done at the dealership, then it takes about a week or two to get it rolling again after receipt of the new shortblock. Good luck if you plan to pursue any type of warranty claim with Isuzu or someone else. Let us know of the final outcome.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Engine is shot

Sorry to hear of your problems, it is also worrying for me and probably fellow U.K. VX owners as I doubt if any of us have any cover for this sort of problem. Looks like this is an issue for further investigation

Some more info as well as some misinfo-

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...og&msg=1198.53

Don't overfill crankcase as this raises crankcase pressure.

Honda does not make the Isuzu Engine.

Do not wait until oil is a quart low to add oil. I keep mine at top mark on dipstick at all times. I change my Filter ( Amsoil-STP) do not use Fram Filters & oil ( Synthetic )at 5000 miles.

Dragon Bob

This is an 18 month old post that has been re-edited & the Link does not work. Basically, I use Mobil 1 OIL Synthetic WT 5-30- Change oil & Filter every 5000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. I clean PCV with brake cleaner & just yesterday checked & cleaned the EGR Valve. So Far So Good I don't burn any oil. I wonder if there have been any engine failures, when Synthetic oil was in use & what oil filter was installed when these failures occured. Also what is the failure rate in Japan if any & what does their warranty cover?
    Last edited by Green Dragon : 03/04/2005 at 07:20 AM
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

May possibly want to look at THIS?

Unhappy

Sorry to hear of your mechanical/financial troubles. Figures it happens AFTER the warranty ends. Good luck getting it fixed, and oh yeah... if it's a choice between the Axiom engine or electric, I vote Axiom (unless the batteries can put out 230 horses).
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Batteries won't put out high hp, but they will put out phenomenal torque numbers.

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    May possibly want to look at THIS?
    The auction states it's for the 3.2 liter engine. Will this interchange with the 3.5 liter? It says it will work for the vehicross if it's a 3.2???? The VX never had a 3.2 in the U.S..........
    3C FORMERLY VX #1876
    www.triple-cs.com

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    That is exactly how mine happened 2 months (and 2000mi) after I got my VX

She had 29,000 on her...

Sounded like a very light tap at first... then 2 or so miles later.... loud clanking...

Dealership repair, from day it was towed, to repair. was like just shy of 2 weeks ... most of it consisted of waiting for them to look at it, getting authorization, ordering the parts and waiting for them to arrive.

Installation itself took about a day and a half.

There were no signs of trouble prior to it going bad. It ran strong up until the noise started.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I had to call Isuzu directly to get my warranty transferred...
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Talking 99 Engine Still going

I have a 99 VX now with over 130,000miles....have not noted any serious engine problems....of the former type.....there is the usual mild valve noise you would have in any engine when the hoods up....

I have been using Mobil 1 since it had 8000 miles...maybe that helped

Of course maybe I just jinxed myself

Hmmm....I was told by my dealer when I bought the Ironman that Isuzu's warranty was for 7 years or 70k on the powertrain. Who knows for sure...Dealers have lied before.
    If I was in your shoes Capt. I would investigate the "replacement" Direct Injection motor (3.5, 250 ponies vs 215).
    I would be very interested to find out what actually happened with your motor. Can you post when you find out what caused the blow up?
    Good luck
    John

John, this is your correct powertrain warranty info right from the '99 warranty book.

Here's some other related warranty stuff-

"The Isuzu New Vehicle Limited Warranty is extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period."
    36 months or 50K miles.

Isuzu Roadside Assistance Program is for the duration of the stated warranty- towing, flat tires, out of fuel, dead battery, and lockout. Call 1-800-444-0303.

What is not covered: Misuse, abuse, etc. Tires.
    Surface corrosion on OTHER THAN body panels, battery, seat upholstery, A/C refrigerant, AFTER the first 12 months or 12K miles.

"The Isuzu Limited Warranty Covering Perforation from Corrosion is extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period."
    72 months or 100K miles.
    All body sheet metal panels for perforation or "rust-through" due to corrosion.

Warranty Covering Federal Emission Control Systems for new 1999 Isuzu Vehicles
    2 years or 24K miles.
    Air/Fuel System
    Evaporative Emission Control System
    PCV System
    EGR System
    Ignition System

8 years or 80K miles.
    Powertrain Control Module
    Three-Way Catalytic Converter

Warranty Covering California Emission Control Systems for new 1999 Isuzu Vehicles
    3 years or 50K miles.
    Any emission related part.
    Repairs due to Smog Check inspection failure.

7 years or 70K miles.
    Air/Fuel System
    Evaporative Emission Control System
    Catalytic Converter System

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 03/04/2005 at 07:09 AM