Thread: another rough idle problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    got home today and it is running and idling fine again - i was thinking since it was intermittent it was probably not the manifold gasket but im sure its never been changed and will need it soon regardless - maybe it took some time for the computer to recognize the new intake control valve?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    got home today and it is running and idling fine again - i was thinking since it was intermittent it was probably not the manifold gasket but im sure its never been changed and will need it soon regardless - maybe it took some time for the computer to recognize the new intake control valve?
    I'd guess that's possible, as I've never had intake gasket leaks that didn't throw a code, so...

Having only replaced the fuel pressure regulator out of the three repairs you've listed, I may be wrong about this, but I'd be of the opinion that the difficulty ratings of those three would be ranked as TPS (easiest), FPR (medium), Intake manifold gaskets (hardest).

Then again, I don't know if there's any sort of calibration needed as part of a TPS installation, so it may be FPR (easiest), TPS (medium), and Intake manifold gaskets (hardest).

Unless you already planned to do all three replacements anyway, I'm always a fan of trying easiest to hardest with the hopes that one of the easier replacements will solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Having only replaced the fuel pressure regulator out of the three repairs you've listed, I may be wrong about this, but I'd be of the opinion that the difficulty ratings of those three would be ranked as TPS (easiest), FPR (medium), Intake manifold gaskets (hardest).

Then again, I don't know if there's any sort of calibration needed as part of a TPS installation, so it may be FPR (easiest), TPS (medium), and Intake manifold gaskets (hardest).

Unless you already planned to do all three replacements anyway, I'm always a fan of trying easiest to hardest with the hopes that one of the easier replacements will solve the issue.
    might sound stupid but where/what is the throttle position sensor? i thought the fuel pressure regulator was pretty easy

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    might sound stupid but where/what is the throttle position sensor? i thought the fuel pressure regulator was pretty easy
    It's on the side of the throttle body, and only held on by two bolts. I took a quick look and it seems the only adjustment that even might need to be made during installation would be to the accelerator cable, so I'll rank it back at easiest of the three replacements (if only in effort and not necessarily impact on the wallet anyway)

"Throttle Position" (TP) sensor - Chapter 6 in the downloadable VX repair manual.