Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vicki needs a new heart...

Which side in #3 on? You probably only need to pull the valve cover on that side.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Wow, where the heck have I been?? I am so sorry to hear about this Mark!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    The valve covers should come off. The driver side might be a bit of a challenge due to the master cylinder/power booster. Passenger side should come right off.
    Buffy, that's kind of what I figured after looking at it this morning. I don't understand why the shop manual has you disconnect the battery, drain the radiator, remove the fan, remove the fan clutch, remove the timing belt covers and the timing belt. That's crazy just to remove the valve cover.

rsteinmetz70112, #3 is the center cylinder on the passenger side, and I plan on pulling just that valve cover this weekend to see if I can see a stuck valve or any other annomoly on that side.

For future reference the cylinders are numbered:

Passenger side: #1 (closest to radiator), #3, #5 (closest to fire wall)
    Drivers side: #2 (closest to radiator), #4, #6 (closest to fire wall)

Where HAVE you been Lisa? Having too much fun piddling around in Bob I'm sure.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Mark, the 3.7 H3 motor will bolt right up to the vx tranny and tod will work fine. Very similar power wise and the electronics should be very close.

The positive is that the blocks and parts are readily available, but custom mounts will definately need to be fabbed.

If you need me to run to a few shops and talk to em just let me know. Whatever help you need.
    Thanks for the offer Jack. At most I'll probably go the Axiom engine route. Need something to just drop in and go. Don't have the time or money to put into fabbing up new mounts, or figuring out intake and computer issues.

Probably need to go with a rebuilt engine too. Just never know what you're going to get with a used engine. Wonder if anyone is re-building Axiom engines.

Are the codes based on cylinder number or firing order?

I wish i had a good suggestion for you Mark, because I know how dissapointing it can be to have your VX motor die, its really not much fun.

Not to be harsh but this makes me feel better about mine blowing up. Whenever i tell people that i blew up the motor in my vehicle at 70k miles, they always just tell me, well if you didnt drive it as hard and offroad it as hard it probably would be fine. But you are the perfect example of a person who takes absolutely PERFECT care of his vehicle.

Definately look into the 3.7 H3 motor swap that the guys in Denver were talking about, and also look into the axiom swap as well, they seem like good options.

this is terrible news mark, i feel bad for Vicky and you. Let me know if there is anything i can help you with?
    Are there any threads about said 3.7 motor swap. Hell, if there is a write up about and someone who experienced this swap already, i'd do it now, while my engine still functions.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Are the codes based on cylinder number or firing order?
    The code is "Cylinder Three Misfire Detected" so I believe it is tied to the cylinder and not the firing order. Also, my cylinder three spark plug is all boogered up with soot, while the others look just fine.

Sorry to hear about Vicky. I dont have much to add on options for #3, a scope camera is the best option to figure out things without tearing the whole engine apart.

129 on #1 cylinder may not be all that low considering your elevation. It's been a long time since I've done a compression test on anything but I know it's always way lower then spec because of the altitude, and you are higher altitude then I am.
    --Dave

I wish i had a good suggestion for you Mark, because I know how dissapointing it can be to have your VX motor die, its really not much fun.

Not to be harsh but this makes me feel better about mine blowing up. Whenever i tell people that i blew up the motor in my vehicle at 70k miles, they always just tell me, well if you didnt drive it as hard and offroad it as hard it probably would be fine. But you are the perfect example of a person who takes absolutely PERFECT care of his vehicle.

Definately look into the 3.7 H3 motor swap that the guys in Denver were talking about, and also look into the axiom swap as well, they seem like good options.

this is terrible news mark, i feel bad for Vicky and you. Let me know if there is anything i can help you with?
    What guys in Denver are you referring to? I'm interested in joining that conversation. I would also like to know if I could replace the Isuzu transmission with a GM 4L60-E along with the LLR 3.7L.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I truly feel for anyone that blows an engine in anything, but it really is not the end of the world. All things mechanical eventually fail and what you do afterwards is what keeps things interesting. With all the possibilities that have been discussed on this forum and the countless others yet to be discovered, it's kinda like reincarnation of the mechanical kind. Im still waiting for the turbo-diesel conversion with a six speed manual...Maybe after I blow mine up!
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I truly feel for anyone that blows an engine in anything, but it really is not the end of the world. All things mechanical eventually fail and what you do afterwards is what keeps things interesting. With all the possibilities that have been discussed on this forum and the countless others yet to be discovered, it's kinda like reincarnation of the mechanical kind. Im still waiting for the turbo-diesel conversion with a six speed manual...Maybe after I blow mine up!
    I like optimistic people. Kudos. I'm not worried about mechanicals (tranny, engine, etc.) I'm just concerned about the cheap Isuzu frames that rot like its nobodies business. LOL! Mine is showing some pretty good rust. Just had to fix a rust hole last month in my rocker. Well, gonna have someone give me an estimate on sandblasting and por-15 before this winter. After my undercarriage is taken care of by a pro i'll be content with whatever else happens.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I somehow got really lucky when I bought mine sight unseen. It came out of West Monroe Louisianna without a speck of rust, lots-o-miles, but no rust!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I somehow got really lucky when I bought mine sight unseen. It came out of West Monroe Louisianna without a speck of rust, lots-o-miles, but no rust!
    LUCKY SOB. LOL!

Mark, sorry to hear the news.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Hey Mark that is so sad....

If you determine that you'll be doing the work yourself at some point I'd be glad to help!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up