Vicki (my VX for those that don't know her) has been throwing a P0303 (misfire detected in cylinder three) code, and has been running rough for a couple of months now. After exhausting all of my shade tree mechanics knowledge I finally broke down and took her to a mechanic. The diagnosis was exactly as I had feared; NO compression in cylinder three. The mechanic checked cylinder one for the heck of it and it is down at 125psi. I don't know the exact specs on our engines, but he thinks that's pretty low too.

SO, with that it looks like Vicki is going to need a new heart. I know others have done this before so I am looking for opinions on who to go to to get a new engine.

I know this information is on the site, and I will do copious amounts of research later, but pressed for time right now so I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

I'm thinking of going the new engine route since the current engine has gulped 3/4 of a quart of oil every 300-350 miles since I bought the VX with 35,000 miles on it. Doesn't seem to make sense to try and rebuild and engine that is loosing that much oil.

Any opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.