Thread: What's the biggest tire that can fit on stock rim?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For wider tires that won't rub and are damn near the same O.D. as OEM (29.5" O.D.)-- choose the tire size of 285/55R18 (30" O.D.). There are only a few brands available in this unique size and they are unlikely to require any trimming of the cladding if fitted onto the OEM 18x7 rim.

http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehi...allbrands.html

Probably your best bet is the MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER in 285/55R18 and it is priced right!!! Don't waste your money on the standard OEM size when you can have essentially the same O.D. which won't effect your speedometer and in a much wider tire giving your VX a much more meaner look and much better handling.

Again, the 285/55R18 (30" O.D.) should be bolt-on perfect without any cladding trim whatsoever if mounted on the OEM 18x7 rim.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLigh...-Marauder.aspx

Last edited by Riff Raff : 08/08/2012 at 07:24 AM Reason: Added "Link"

I'm really digging the new Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Whats funny is, about a year ago I sent Toyo an email suggesting they make their sidewalls on the A/T tire look a little more aggressive. Hmmmmm. Might see if I can get them in 265/60/18 (30.5x10.7) Only thing is it says this size will fit a 7.5-9.5 rim. Can anyone tell me what the drawback is to putting this tire on a smaller 7" rim?
    Thanks
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    I'm really digging the new Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Whats funny is, about a year ago I sent Toyo an email suggesting they make their sidewalls on the A/T tire look a little more aggressive. Hmmmmm. Might see if I can get them in 265/60/18 (30.5x10.7) Only thing is it says this size will fit a 7.5-9.5 rim. Can anyone tell me what the drawback is to putting this tire on a smaller 7" rim?
    Thanks
    I've always though the OC A/T have a real similar look to the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Rowhard has the O/C and I really liked them when I saw them in person in Moab '09.
    Both have a rather pronounced "square shoulder", with square-ish shoulder blocks. One tire guy told me last year that Toyo owns Nitto (or vise versa) and that's why they look so similar, basically same tire with a few differences in design....prob BS, not sure.

If you put a tire that says the min rim width is 7.5, on a VX 7" rim, you end up with a more "rounded" shoulder, and a bulgy looking sidewall. That's because it's got to stretch the sidewall all the way back to hold onto the narrower 7" rim.

I don't claim to know if it's doable or a good idea to do what you asked, but I do know it would end up with a very bulgy sidewall, and I personally wouldn't care for that look....because I specifically like the square shoulder look.

ORIGINAL OPEN COUNTRY A/T

NEW OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
    Last edited by VX KAT : 09/21/2012 at 08:46 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.