Thread: What's the biggest tire that can fit on stock rim?

What's the biggest tire that can fit on stock rim?

I need to put new tires on my '01 Ironman and I was told the largest tire size I could go w. my stock rim is 245-60-R18's. I've been reviewing them online, but they don't look like anything too fancy, not to mention they're expen$ive.

Anyone know how big I can actually go with out rubbing my wheel wells?

Thanks!!

285/60/18s will fit. There will be a little rubbing on the front left/right fender. A little trimming with a dremmel and no one will notice.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

You know what. I forgot I went with a bigger spring and cranked the torsion bars. Are you just wanting a bigger tire without a little lift?
    Peace.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by IronMan305 View Post
    I need to put new tires on my '01 Ironman and I was told the largest tire size I could go w. my stock rim is 245-60-R18's. I've been reviewing them online, but they don't look like anything too fancy, not to mention they're expen$ive.

Anyone know how big I can actually go with out rubbing my wheel wells?

Thanks!!
    This is probably among the most asked question on here.

Your RIMS are 18" x 7", your OEM TIRES are 245/60/18.
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=21

Use the SEARCH FUNCTION and you'll find a ton of info, what works, what doesn't, issues, etc...

As Tom said, the trimming required for 285/60-18 is SUPER EASY and you can do it in 5 minutes with a dremel.
    This is it, a tiny triangle shape piece.
    I did NOT have to make any change to springs or turn the TBs.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I've studied this exact question for years and here's the definitive answer(s) using the 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 rim:

VX at 100% OEM Stock Height (non-lifted) = 275/65R18 (32" O.D.)
    Some minor interior-side cladding trim will be required as VX-KAT has illustrated. An All-Terrain tire or Street version tire with smooth rounded shoulders will have less interference than a muscular square shouldered Mud-Terrain tire, so take that into consideration.

VX "Lifted" = 285/75R18 (35" O.D.)
    Important Note: The 285 series width is the absolute widest tire that can still be "squeezed" onto the OEM 7" width wheel.

If you absolutely don't want to cut/trim your cladding; but are after a wider/meaner stance, then consider the tire size of 285/55R18.

Thumbs up Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks for all the helpfu tips and the link. I haven't mastered the search function yet. When I tried it it kept sending me to VX's for sale and spare parts.

Anyway, if I trim the cladding and put the larger tire how much larger am I getting with the new size? It is just an inch or so? I'd hate to cut up my stock VX for .5-1" if thats the case.

I'm looking in to the following tires thafit stock:

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Season Tire - 205/65R15 94H VSB

Falken ZIEX ZE-912 TIRE 245/60R18 105H BW

Cooper WEATHERMASTER WSC 245/60R18

Nitto - NT850 Plus CUV

Firestone - Destination ST

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

THANKS!!

I'm running the Firestone Destination AT. It's a very good tire from my experience so far. You can't use mine as a guide though because mine are 33x12.50R15 with an abundance of offset.

I just wanted to let you know that basically it's a good tire ... but I've heard good things about the other tires as well.

BTW, to fit the 33x12.50s requires a 3 inch lift & some trimming as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

if you are going to drive mostly on city streets i have the falcon ziex and they ride and handle great

For wider tires that won't rub and are damn near the same O.D. as OEM (29.5" O.D.)-- choose the tire size of 285/55R18 (30" O.D.). There are only a few brands available in this unique size and they are unlikely to require any trimming of the cladding if fitted onto the OEM 18x7 rim.

http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehi...allbrands.html

Probably your best bet is the MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER in 285/55R18 and it is priced right!!! Don't waste your money on the standard OEM size when you can have essentially the same O.D. which won't effect your speedometer and in a much wider tire giving your VX a much more meaner look and much better handling.

Again, the 285/55R18 (30" O.D.) should be bolt-on perfect without any cladding trim whatsoever if mounted on the OEM 18x7 rim.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLigh...-Marauder.aspx

Last edited by Riff Raff : 08/08/2012 at 07:24 AM Reason: Added "Link"

I'm really digging the new Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Whats funny is, about a year ago I sent Toyo an email suggesting they make their sidewalls on the A/T tire look a little more aggressive. Hmmmmm. Might see if I can get them in 265/60/18 (30.5x10.7) Only thing is it says this size will fit a 7.5-9.5 rim. Can anyone tell me what the drawback is to putting this tire on a smaller 7" rim?
    Thanks
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    I'm really digging the new Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Whats funny is, about a year ago I sent Toyo an email suggesting they make their sidewalls on the A/T tire look a little more aggressive. Hmmmmm. Might see if I can get them in 265/60/18 (30.5x10.7) Only thing is it says this size will fit a 7.5-9.5 rim. Can anyone tell me what the drawback is to putting this tire on a smaller 7" rim?
    Thanks
    I've always though the OC A/T have a real similar look to the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Rowhard has the O/C and I really liked them when I saw them in person in Moab '09.
    Both have a rather pronounced "square shoulder", with square-ish shoulder blocks. One tire guy told me last year that Toyo owns Nitto (or vise versa) and that's why they look so similar, basically same tire with a few differences in design....prob BS, not sure.

If you put a tire that says the min rim width is 7.5, on a VX 7" rim, you end up with a more "rounded" shoulder, and a bulgy looking sidewall. That's because it's got to stretch the sidewall all the way back to hold onto the narrower 7" rim.

I don't claim to know if it's doable or a good idea to do what you asked, but I do know it would end up with a very bulgy sidewall, and I personally wouldn't care for that look....because I specifically like the square shoulder look.

ORIGINAL OPEN COUNTRY A/T

NEW OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
    Last edited by VX KAT : 09/21/2012 at 08:46 PM

We are running a discontinued Dunlop tire, Maxx Traction Mud terrian, 275/65 R18 on stock rims. Now the crazy thing is these wheels and tires were from my Amigo project. These tires (set of 5) now have about 50K on them. I took it in for balancing two weeks ago, average tread depth 15/32 (New 17 or 18/32").
    Now the only clue I have to why they are doing so well. These tires are 90psi (9 ply sidewall) tires designed for Heavy Duty Dullies.

Life is better when you go Topless

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VxSport View Post
    We are running a discontinued Dunlop tire, Maxx Traction Mud terrian, 275/65 R18 on stock rims. Now the crazy thing is these wheels and tires were from my Amigo project. These tires (set of 5) now have about 50K on them. I took it in for balancing two weeks ago, average tread depth 15/32 (New 17 or 18/32").
    Now the only clue I have to why they are doing so well. These tires are 90psi (9 ply sidewall) tires designed for Heavy Duty Dullies.
    I run terra grapplers which are 60psi tires and i run mine at 60 psi, ive already gotten around 50k miles on them and they still have loads of tread left...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden