Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Window Regulator

that's what I was thinking, just thought if we had something in hand that didn't have to stay in the VX might be handy.

I'll start with the extra drivers side regulator that I have on hand. The parts should be the same for both sides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

My regulator is new....and I didn't install it, but I thought those white thingies were part of the new regulator. You'd think with all new parts, it would work...at least for a while. Maybe I should take it to the dealer and let them figure it out? Is this a common problem to other Isuzus?

Those white guides were part of the new regulator. They may not have been in proper position when it was installed. Once the regulator is in place and the glass attached, those guides should stay in place (at least until the keeper part breaks off).

I don't know if other Isuzu's had similar problems. IIRC most other Isuzu windows are flat while ours are curved. That may make the problem unique to the VehiCross.

If I can get out of work early enough to hit the parts store, maybe I can come up with a quick solution for you. The regulator I'll be 'operating' on is an extra so if I can fix it, you can beta test it for us.

I have been staring at the picture for the past 48 hours. I can't think of a solution besides making that top guide clip thingy deeper. But you're right... My Mechanic may not have installed properly. I might try to unassemble completely and do it again.

I hate that you have to go through all of this ... but on the bright side, you'll know more about the guts of the door than most people on the forum.

My recommendation is to unbolt the glass from the regulator. Get the guides back on the track. Bolt the glass back to the regulator. Run the window up & down a few times before you put the door panels back in place. Don't forget to add more lubricant (lithium grease or graphite) to the tracks before you close it up (this is the rare occasion where "mo' is betta" ... you can't put too much lubricant on our window weatherstrip).

When you unbolt the glass from the regulator, it may be helpful to have a couple of suction cups on hand. Push the glass all the way up & put a suction cup at the front and back of the glass as low as possible. When you let go of the glass, the suction cups should hold the glass out of the way whilst you are working on the regulator. Don't laugh. The drivers side winder on my old Land Cruiser was held closed by suction cups for several years that way (yup, Toyota didn't get their regulator any better & it went KA-BLOOEY ... different failure mode though). It even made it through inspection that way.

EDIT:

You may find that after you get the upper guide back in place, you can do the washer thinggy to keep it aligned properly. With the top guide off, that part of the regulator is being held at an angle which is causing the lower guide to have more pressure on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    it went KA-BLOOEY
    is that a technical term mr. enginerd??
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    is that a technical term mr. enginerd??
    In this case, yes! It was a scissor lift mechanism with rollers on the cross bar. When the roller gave up the ghost, it made a very distinctive KA-BLOOEY sound.

Ya shudda known better than to try & out technoid me! Didn't the mayor learn you better-n that?

I'm still staring at the picture. haha. I'm thinking if Tom's genius regulator mind can't think of what can possibly help, I'm taking it to Little Joe's Isuzu on Friday. I would like to think they would "have" to find a way to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison3371 View Post
    I'm still staring at the picture. haha. I'm thinking if Tom's genius regulator mind can't think of what can possibly help, I'm taking it to Little Joe's Isuzu on Friday. I would like to think they would "have" to find a way to fix it.
    why don't you take some pics and post them. That should really help the enginerd I'd think.
    Let me know if you need help on how to post pics.

I put one on the thread I think on page 3. I can take more Thursday when I'm home.

I checked out my spare ... 'deformed' regulator. It looks like only one of the little white plastic guides is the problem. It's the lonely one ... the other side has two. The two guides (IIRC on the trailing edge of window) are much beefier than the lonely one.

Any-hoo, the white guides don't look like they can be removed and certainly not available at my corner store auto parts place.

So: I went to my local Ace Hardware (LOVE that place ... sorta reminds me of a Mayberry RFD setting). After perusing the aisles for a while, waiting for inspiration to hit me, I came across some small pulleys. I'll have to modify them to make the groove in the wheel deeper but I think I can come up with a fix for around $10.

I'll put on my enginerd hat when I get home tonight & let you know how it works out tomorrow. The only real problem I foresee is finding some shoulder bolts the right size (hello Fastenal ... here I come).

I'm trying to keep this 'fix' as bolt on as possible so anyone could replicate it for themselves.

Allison, do you want to 'beta test' the repaired regulator? Since my VX is in the shop for at least a few more weeks, I won't be able to test out the fix.

I'm game for anything you think might work. I really appreciate the help!

This is now a few weeks old, but I am just now getting to it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Allison3371 View Post
    OH JOY! So today I took my VX to my mechanic to install the new regulator. (As much as I wanted to do this myself, my lack of free time is minimal) It's installed BUT it's binding in the front. The rubber guide is split and he says that is causing it to bind...He said that's what broke the regulator and has instructed me to buy that and he will put it in. I see it really is split, but wondering if this really is my issue. I read a few of the posts (thanks Kat for putting the links all together) and I see there are other reasons it could be doing this. Anyone replace this rubber guide thingamadoobie with success on correcting the binding issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the rubber guide is "split". Are you talking about the rubber strip the edge of the the glass goes into?

If it's that one, it goes around the glass edge, then down IN FRONT of the tweeter panel, where I'm pointing.

This is the rubber channel we suggest be kept lubed with something like pure silicone spray, or Teflon silicone. It has several channels within it, (not just the channel the glass edge goes in) and I wonder if that's what your guy means by "split"?
    I think I know what this mechanic is talking about, and I think I agree with him! As the window travels up and down, it wears out the rubber in FRONT of the window! I am sure that lubricating since new would have help with this wear, but it is too late for most of us now.

That wear gives window extra space to tilt forward and bind up! That binding eventually damages already poorly fitting regulator and white clips on the window.

Replacing the plastic clips with metal brackets and getting new regulator does not solve the original problem: split rubber channel with extra space! We need to ether replace the rubber guides (are they still available?) or build up some material for TIGHTER window fit (front to back).

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    Replacing the plastic clips with metal brackets and getting new regulator does not solve the original problem: split rubber channel with extra space! We need to ether replace the rubber guides (are they still available?) or build up some material for TIGHTER window fit (front to back).
    She's replaced both the regulator and the rubber weather strip with new components & is still having tilting issues.

For some reason one of the plastic guides is not properly engaging the vertical track.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 01/30/2013 at 10:09 AM