Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it my imagination or...

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.

Is it my imagination or...

Do a lot of people seem scared or put-off by the recent rash of blown VX's?
    There seems to be a fair amount of long-time owners (relative term there) selling their beloved VX's. Is this a new phenomenon or is this the norm?
    Vixer Fixer

Nope, these things can run for ever, if taken care of properly and every precaution is taken........now same question but with Caddy Catera's..... i wouldn't accept one even if it was free lol

It's the bad news you hear everyday...imho...People are bombarded with bad stories all the time.The economy isn't that bad(depending on where you live, ect)When the election is over, everything will look better.Who ever wins will say everything is GREAT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by VEHISIC View Post
    Nope, these things can run for ever, if taken care of properly and every precaution is taken........now same question but with Caddy Catera's..... i wouldn't accept one even if it was free lol
    Not necessarily true. I babied mine all of it's life with it barely ever seeing anything over 3500 rpm. It drank a lot of oil, but I always stayed on top of it and it never even got to the half way mark on the dip stick, and I changed the oil religiously every 5,000 miles, used synthetic oil and had the pcv changed every oil change, and the egr cleaned every other oil change. Mine didn't completely blow, but it did lose cylinder three. I think some of them are going to go no matter what you do.

We have seen a lot of sales recently, but it seems like most of them are for either financial or family reasons. Maybe some just wanted something new. I totally plan on being a VXer for life, but this is the first car that I have owned for more than three years (going on eight now) because I always just wanted something else to play with.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Not necessarily true. We have seen a lot of sales recently, but it seems like most of them are for either financial or family reasons.
    Hardeman's point(s), and the rising price of gasoline (that doesn't seem to want to stay down while the economy is down), are the real issue here. If there's one thing I hate more than politicians (especial with all the BS commercials during campaign season), is the fat cat oil company execs....

Between the cost of fuel and the taxes we pay in order to step up MPGs (and buy a newer vehicle, it's a one-two "punch" they deliver while sticking their hand in our pockets!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Maybe the drought and corn harvest short fall will doom ethanol, at least for a while. Then everybodies mileage will increase.

I think the styles are catching up.... The VX might actually seem dated as more vehicles are coming out with high tech / futurama profiles....

Someone mistook my VX for a hyundai sonata.... I wanted to go ballistic

2000, Kaiser Silver Metallic, VEHIcross 0028
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSix View Post

Someone mistook my VX for a hyundai sonata.... I wanted to go ballistic

While alot of us love the car and will keep it forever (me), most people need reliable cars. And lets face it, the VX is a mechanical blunder and most people don't have thousands of dollars to fix Isuzu's shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, I love my VX, but I've never owned or heard about a car that had more obvious problems. I'm stubborn though, and I will have this baby in my driveway forever, while others see a more logical choice....cut and run. LOL!
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

You guys have it easy, gas in the states is cheap compared to Canada lol, and you made valid points but, personally I think 5000 miles is too long between oil changes, we do 3000 miles or 5000 kms....I do 3000 kms because I love my vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    While alot of us love the car and will keep it forever (me), most people need reliable cars. And lets face it, the VX is a mechanical blunder and most people don't have thousands of dollars to fix Isuzu's shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, I love my VX, but I've never owned or heard about a car that had more obvious problems. I'm stubborn though, and I will have this baby in my driveway forever, while others see a more logical choice....cut and run. LOL!
    Here's the thing with this forum, and most other forums - 'Ya just hear the BAD news! I rarely post on here simply because I HAVE no "bad news". I VERY carefully bought my VX from an original (high desert) owner 3.5 years ago with 58K miles. It's my daily driver, with just under 90K miles on it as I type. Including all the BRAND NEW cars that I've owned/driven this long, I've spent less $ in maintenance/repairs on this vehicle than ANYTHING else, to wit: $100 for a battery (the 10 year old original battery was STILL working fine when I bought it, it just made me "nervous" having a 10 year old battery!), $400 for tires, which I should get another year out of, $20 for a new serpentine belt (only 'cause the original had some light cracking), $150 to replace the rear pinion seal, one headlight bulb, oil/filter every 5K miles, change front/rear differential fluid; that's IT! It uses just under a quart of oil in-between oil changes - Boo-hoo! Driver's window had "troubles" when I bought it - 30 minutes of adjustment and it's been working fine since...

Now - if I became interested in a VX and did my "online research", leading me to THIS forum, I'd NEVER buy one in a thousand years! Did *I* get lucky? Maybe so, but I think it's more likely that there are a PILE of VX owners out there like me, that just DRIVE their vehicles without trouble. By analogy, my wife owned a Lexus SC430 for six years - ZERO trouble in 50K miles. I went on a Lexus SC430 forum one time to look for an "answer" to some question I had - could not BELIEVE the troubles that people were having with theirs! I thought I was on a YUGO forum!

Another thing that most people will deny, that I know to be true at 56 years old - people don't take care of themselves or their STUFF! My VX looks NEW, 'cause I take care of my stuff. Most people's idea of "maintenance" is to drive it like you stole it, then bitch when something breaks. Also - and most people on this forum won't wanna hear THIS either - the VX was NOT meant to be turned into a lifted, big-tired, rock crawler! This vehicle was built as "an assembly", with microcomputers at every wheel - just try dropping ten pounds out of one tire and see how "confused" your VX drives! Start changing the "arithmetic", and you're just asking for it - premature brake, axle, pinion, u-joint/CV joint failure will follow!

O.K. - caffeine-induced rant off. I know - "Hey Pops; better get home - your soup's getting cold!" Now pardon me while I go ride my bicycle 48 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Here's the thing with this forum, and most other forums - 'Ya just hear the BAD news! I rarely post on here simply because I HAVE no "bad news". I VERY carefully bought my VX from an original (high desert) owner 3.5 years ago with 58K miles. It's my daily driver, with just under 90K miles on it as I type. Including all the BRAND NEW cars that I've owned/driven this long, I've spent less $ in maintenance/repairs on this vehicle than ANYTHING else, to wit: $100 for a battery (the 10 year old original battery was STILL working fine when I bought it, it just made me "nervous" having a 10 year old battery!), $400 for tires, which I should get another year out of, $20 for a new serpentine belt (only 'cause the original had some light cracking), $150 to replace the rear pinion seal, one headlight bulb, oil/filter every 5K miles, change front/rear differential fluid; that's IT! It uses just under a quart of oil in-between oil changes - Boo-hoo! Driver's window had "troubles" when I bought it - 30 minutes of adjustment and it's been working fine since...

Now - if I became interested in a VX and did my "online research", leading me to THIS forum, I'd NEVER buy one in a thousand years! Did *I* get lucky? Maybe so, but I think it's more likely that there are a PILE of VX owners out there like me, that just DRIVE their vehicles without trouble. By analogy, my wife owned a Lexus SC430 for six years - ZERO trouble in 50K miles. I went on a Lexus SC430 forum one time to look for an "answer" to some question I had - could not BELIEVE the troubles that people were having with theirs! I thought I was on a YUGO forum!

Another thing that most people will deny, that I know to be true at 56 years old - people don't take care of themselves or their STUFF! My VX looks NEW, 'cause I take care of my stuff. Most people's idea of "maintenance" is to drive it like you stole it, then bitch when something breaks. Also - and most people on this forum won't wanna hear THIS either - the VX was NOT meant to be turned into a lifted, big-tired, rock crawler! This vehicle was built as "an assembly", with microcomputers at every wheel - just try dropping ten pounds out of one tire and see how "confused" your VX drives! Start changing the "arithmetic", and you're just asking for it - premature brake, axle, pinion, u-joint/CV joint failure will follow!

O.K. - caffeine-induced rant off. I know - "Hey Pops; better get home - your soup's getting cold!" Now pardon me while I go ride my bicycle 48 miles...
    X2...my ONLY problems are the window thing...a little oil burn and a cv joint now and then...but I've been to Moab 8 years in a row...no complaints here

Well, my VX has been nothing but problems!!! I've had to replace the battery, the tires, the oil and filter!! And that's just in the LAST TEN YEARS!! Not to mention having to put GAS in every few hundred miles.

But, seriously, I have owned several NEW cars in my life, but the VX has been the most reliable and maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned. I've taken it in for it's routine dealership service on schedule, and changed the oil/filter with Mobile1 synthetics since new, and have never had any major issues. The MAF needed cleaning once, and the serpentine belt idler bearing ate itself, but other than that, it's been uneventful. 135K miles! The windows still work, the CD player still plays, and no ABS or CEL lights (since removing the K&N oiled filter.)

I just returned from trips to Nashville, TN and Atlanta, GA (each about 1250 miles) and only added 1/2 quart oil after the Nashville trip. I'm planning to make a few more road trips in the near future and am not the least bit concerned about the VX letting me down. I've read all the threads about engine failure, and it may happen eventually, but I plan to get my engine rebuilt (not replaced) when or if that ever happens. More than likely, one of my kids will inherit the VX with the original engine intact.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Well, my VX has been nothing but problems!!! I've had to replace the battery, the tires, the oil and filter!! And that's just in the LAST TEN YEARS!! Not to mention having to put GAS in every few hundred miles.

But, seriously, I have owned several NEW cars in my life, but the VX has been the most reliable and maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned. I've taken it in for it's routine dealership service on schedule, and changed the oil/filter with Mobile1 synthetics since new, and have never had any major issues. The MAF needed cleaning once, and the serpentine belt idler bearing ate itself, but other than that, it's been uneventful. 135K miles! The windows still work, the CD player still plays, and no ABS or CEL lights (since removing the K&N oiled filter.)

I just returned from trips to Nashville, TN and Atlanta, GA (each about 1250 miles) and only added 1/2 quart oil after the Nashville trip. I'm planning to make a few more road trips in the near future and am not the least bit concerned about the VX letting me down. I've read all the threads about engine failure, and it may happen eventually, but I plan to get my engine rebuilt (not replaced) when or if that ever happens. More than likely, one of my kids will inherit the VX with the original engine intact.
    Congrats! You've been lucky. I hope i'm as lucky as you.

2001,Dragon,0719; 2000,Kaiser,0051; 2001,Kaiser(Blue),0638
    Well I am looking at getting a second in my driveway so I won't complain about people getting rid of theirs.

Gonzo
    I want a t-shirt that says: "TRD all thats missing is U!" on the back and a VX on the front.