So there comes a time where the heart dies in everyone's car. Mine came just recently and I'm thinking like a mad man trying to pick a good thought on the path I take. My engine has a loud loud knocking, it sounds like a rod (I have a audio clip of it). And no I haven't been hot rodding my VX. I do weekly checks on the oil so I was surprised when this came about.

Selling is not a option for me I love my car to much that being said I plan to put a good chunk of money to keep this bad boy running. I'm currently in no hurry so this is defiantly something I will spend my time on thinking about. Like I said this is a '99 I waited 11 years to own one and I plan to own it till it is that rusty monster you see still tearing down the road around town from the 60's. My personal dilemma is do I stay as close to the OEM route? Or go down the road it's time to raise and drop some power in this bad boy and custom it out?

I have read allot of older post and I'm kinda mixed feeling seeing that the end story for allot of the projects. I want to know from start to finish how allot of them went, and are currently going at the finish line. I just cant find a solid thread that gives me a good outlook or a clear idea. To many threads on this subject seems jump up and down. I would also like pros and cons, and maybe just make one thread to help clear up allot of mine and I'm sure allot others questions. So I would like to get opinions and facts. For those who have done the upgrade and went down the no OEM/Rebuild route please help me with these questions.

What kinda of parts did you use engine, tranny, etc:
How long/many miles have you driven:
How long did it take:
How much money did you spend:
Pros:
Cons:
Overall are you happy? what would you have done different?:
Did it pass the Moab test?

I know its a book of a post but thank you in advance for your time and opinions I look forward to reading them all! Feel free to add to the list of the questions I should of asked and didn't.