Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opening your headlights

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    So is using boiling water and slowly prying the headlight apart as the glue softens the only way to get our headlights apart? It is shown this way on page 1 of this thread, but I seem to remember someone using their oven and baking the headlights to soften the glue, maybe someone who installed projectors I believe?..... Anyone else open up their headlight housings?
    On my Honda it was use the over at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes...but you must watch it closely to avoid any unwanted issues. If you mess it up it will cost you. A replacement assembly for the Honda is only $90 and if it gets messed up not a big issue, just annoying. If you mess up the VX one it will cost you double that easy. Be Careful if you decide that you must take them apart.

Also seach the net for other options as there are tons of informative videos on youtube and such.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Why in the name of all that's holy would you want to do this?

Bart

Based on my cooking experience

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    So is using boiling water and slowly prying the headlight apart as the glue softens the only way to get our headlights apart? It is shown this way on page 1 of this thread, but I seem to remember someone using their oven and baking the headlights to soften the glue, maybe someone who installed projectors I believe?..... Anyone else open up their headlight housings?
    You need to heat the glue to loosen it. It can be done by boiling water or putting in the oven. However if you boil you get a much better even slow increase heat. In the oven even when you set a particular temp the oven cycles (notice the red light going on and off) in addition the racks will get hot and stay hot possiblibly giving a burn mark on your assembly oe even a melt mark on the lense if the plastic hits the rack.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

I have split head lights off my mini cooper with the oven before. It was very easy for me, I just took them out every 5 min ( with gloves on) and pulled until the glue was soft enough.

Again, what is the purpose of this???

Bart

I did it so I could paint the inside of the headlight black rather than the silver, and I also painted the ring around the projector red. It really tied in the whole red on black car theme.

Talking Going projectors.....

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-H...-p9377715.html

And the projectors will be HID of course ($200 for all in 1 package), and while I have them open I will paint everything black (ebony) to match the VX :-)

V-LEDS quote: "This kit is actually really easy, (*after you bake apart the headlights*) No modification to the headlight assembly is necessary as the projector unit mounts through the original bulb opening. It is a pretty slick design, and you can still aim the headlamps using the original adjustment screws!"
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 02/16/2011 at 08:32 PM

Done it a handful of times. Bake it between 200-225, and be VERY mindful of it. It can take quite a while too since prying a bit at a time might need to be done.

Sealing them back up is always the tricky part. You don't seal it well and you will have foggy lenses.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Ahhh, I see, I'd like to see pictures of this. I thought you guys were trying to fix something.

Bart

I don't have any pictures of my mini, but here are some of the pictures that are close to what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post

Sealing them back up is always the tricky part. You don't seal it well and you will have foggy lenses.
    How exactly did you re-seal them back together? I have heard some people just reheat and press back together.

This stuff is the best to use. A little pricey at autozone but its better than oem imo. Just make sure you clean all of the old goo out before applying "Right Stuff"

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_Maker.htm

Jay did this on his FJ and it looks slick. Hopefully he'll post some pics. When I saw his install in Moab I thought about doing it on the VX....looks like LittleBeast will be the guinea pig. Definitely post some pictures once you're done.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Jay did this on his FJ and it looks slick. Hopefully he'll post some pics. When I saw his install in Moab I thought about doing it on the VX....looks like LittleBeast will be the guinea pig. Definitely post some pictures once you're done.
    Yeah Jay's looks great. I've been looking onto a kit specially made for FJ's that I think would look great in the VX headlight assembly.

The biggest problem with adding basic projectors to our headlights is that they are long and need to stick outside the headlight. Check out whaleboy's gallery- he already added projectors a while back.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yup, lots of people with colored cars do this to match the car...

also, like others said, its common to paint them black, to give them more of a smoked look without loosing any lightpower.

i'd like to do this to my Runner, but need to pick up some 'laser cut lenses' rather than the old 'projector' style i have now.... the 00-02 runners have laser cut but the 98-00 was projector.

I just havent wanted to cough up the dough yet
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden