Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: glass cleaner

glass cleaner

Another "my owners manual says" question. Again I dont have it in front of me so the wording may be different (its a 2000 manual)

The book says NOT to use glass cleaner on the interior windows due to some metal imbedded into the glass. I cant imagine just soap and water working good. But that is what the book recommends (or just plain water)

Any opinions or insider knowledge about this?

Never heard of this, but please scan the page and share it with us. Thx

Its 8-32 in the 2000 manual. I cant scan from home so I will quote.

Cleaning Tinted Glass Surfaces:
    The tinted heat-reflecting glass has a metal coating on the interior side. To clean the interior side of glass, use plain water or a neutral detergent. Do Not use harsh chemicals. Wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel
    that is the complete quote. nothing left out.

It was short, I think the quote is sufficient. It talks about glass cleaners in the prior instruction about general glass cleaning and they are ok for that. By omission I assume they are not OK for the tinted rear interior glass.

I've been told by window tint installers to never use any glass cleaners containing ammonia because it will break down the glues. Never heard anyone mention anything about metal in the tint though.

the metal in the glass prob has something to do with the flux capacitor - i use stoners invisible glass and it works fine - tint safe too

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Actually, if I read the Advanced Forward Base Operations Manual (AFBOM for short) correctly, the Unobtainiam in the glass is for stealth purposes...Just sayin'.
    Vixer Fixer

Holy crap on a cracker!

If the 'tinted heat-reflecting glass metal coating on the interior side' comes off that easy, we don't need it no-how.

I'm just sayin.

Prolly too late for me. I've been using windex on mine religiously (twice a year) for the past 3 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Holy crap on a cracker!

If the 'tinted heat-reflecting glass metal coating on the interior side' comes off that easy, we don't need it no-how.

I'm just sayin.

Prolly too late for me. I've been using windex on mine religiously (twice a year) for the past 3 years.
    At Christmas and Easter...right Tom...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Most of the time I can just use a dry rag and end up with perfectly clear glass. I haven't used anything more than a light spray of water (re-used an old empty Windex bottle) & a rag on my vehicles for over a decade and it's never let me down. It takes care of dust, finger prints and the snot-hieroglyphics left by my dog. May be my imagination, but it seems to attract less gunk than anything else I've ever used so I don't have to clean them as often. For interior glass, chemicals are highly overrated IMHO - save your money!

Ok I have a feeling some of you all are not taking me serious. Thanks rick.

One last question. After I get home from work (30 hwy miles) I have a green light on my dash that says "Cruise Main". While I do enjoy cruising main. It is beginning to get expensive. How does my car know when I am on Main?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    ...and we're not taking you serious...

Quote Originally Posted by bssage View Post
    How does my car know when I am on Main?
    It's the only paved street in Keokuk, IA....haha...my wife is from Pella so you'll excuse the IA humor.

I apologize in advance...

LMAO Didn't you know owning a VX means you agreed to be tracked by satellite at all times?!?! The gubment's gotta know where all us weirdo VX fans are at all times!

Hmmm, going back to my "attracts less gunk" comment, now that I've thought about it a little more, I switched to "water only" about the same time I stopped using oily "armour all" type treatments in my interior. Maybe they were evaporating and coating the windows? For years I didn't treat the interior plastic with anything at all, but didn't really have to since my vehicles were always fairly new. Two years ago I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on the interior of my VX. It seems to dry to a hard coat (instead of remaining oily) - maybe it doesn't evaporate and "out-gas" as much. The interior plastic on the VX still looks the same as when I first applied it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    It's the only paved street in Keokuk, IA....haha...my wife is from Pella so you'll excuse the IA humor.

I apologize in advance...
    Wow

But we have like 18 bar's. And we all know that is the measure of any good small town. Not the fancy high class paved roads.

Quote Originally Posted by bssage View Post
    Wow

But we have like 18 bar's. And we all know that is the measure of any good small town. Not the fancy high class paved roads.
    Sounds a lot like Tipton and Stanwood where we lived for a few years up near Cedar Rapids...back in the day...