Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UGH. MIGHT have to sell my baby...

UGH. MIGHT have to sell my baby...

Well, here we are. A decade later and still in love, but might have to go our separate ways...

I'm having a REALLY hard time making this decision.

With my first daughter, I was working for myself and so it was very easy to let my wife drive the VX (Since I could get the car seat in and out of it) on days I needed to pick up Ella, and my schedule was easy to deal with.

But now with daughter number 2, and me back in a full time job we have to split the pickup/dropoff duties and I was finally forced to get another ride that was easier to get the girls in and out of.

I absolutely love my VX, but it's just sitting there, waiting for the occasional weekend drive alone, just the two of us, and I feel like she's really just being left alone most of the time.

It makes me nervous about it not getting driven enough.

On top of that, with the market like it is, and likely not to be doing much better anytime soon, we aren't going to try and sell the house and move, so we need to make some long overdue improvements to the current abode. That makes it even harder to justify the VX.

UGHHHH. I feel like I be THAT GUY that had his dream mustang, or vette, etc and sold it, only to REALLY regret it years later.

I've seen cars sit though, and it's rarely a pretty thing.

I'll have to mull it over a LOT more in the coming weeks, but if she's gotta go, I REALLY hope someone from the family might be interested. I just can't imagine her going to someone who doesn't "get" it.

Just venting to the crew...

- holt
    macintosh man

No. No!!!

Say it isn't so.

We lose more family members to that than any other reason.

We understand your reasons though & hope you find a better alternative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Yup, having a child (or two) is the #1 reason people sell their beloved VX. Hmmm, perhaps it's time to get a 4-door version of the Range Rover - Evoque (they also make a 2-door coupe version as well). See link:

http://www.landrover.com/us/en/rr/range-rover-evoque/

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    For what it's worth, sitting doesn't hurt a car. It doesn't get depressed and want to end it all. That said, where it sits does hurt a car. Parked in tall grass, under a tree, out on the street, or in that marshy spot out behind the garage...not good! Now, parked in a well ventilated garage with the proper mouse proofing in place and driven from time to time with the proper maintenance? No problem! I've been doing it with a whole assortment of vehicles for over thirty years and I haven't had any problems or concerns yet. So, be not afraid of the dreaded idle car for the only thing to fear is the occasional rough idle!
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Now, parked in a well ventilated garage with the proper mouse proofing in place and driven from time to time with the proper maintenance? No problem!
    And don't forget the Battery Tender or similar! I just drove my Cobra yesterday after sitting for the last two months. No issues. My Mustang has been sitting in the driveway (covered) for the better part of six months, hooked up to a battery tender, and I plan to fire it up tomorrow for a short drive around town. Check the tires and fluids before starting, and drive far enough to warm everything up completely, and you should be fine for a long time. And you can lower your insurance by claiming lower annual mileage.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Yup, what Gregg said!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking on it pretty hard. Kind of obsessing over it, really. Who would have thought someone could really be this attached to a freaking car?

I mean, friends and family actually identify me partly with this car!!!!

It's good to know it can sit... Anyone have a recommendation on the different covers we've been over on the site? I'm not even sure half of them would even be made anymore.

I'm very tempted to get the oil changed, do a new coat of RR on the cladding, polish the wheels, put in the new headlights and seats and the just make her a weekend driver.

I'm just convinced that at some point one of my daughters would love to have her. I mean, they are unique now, just imagine in 25 years!!!!!

I'll keep you all posted. It's kind of weird, I'm not as active of a poster as everyone, but always on the site and having watched everyone's lives unfold on here for a decade now is really crazy! I feel like we're all this pen-pal family of sorts!

Cheers!
    David

Weekend driver? Hell yes!! She's bought and paid for, been a loyal companion and she gets "looks", why wouldn't you want to keep her. Good luck finding another in the shape she's in five or ten years from now!! I say "KEEP HER"!

Mine is a weekend play toy that I might drive to work once every two weeks or so. My one-way commute is about 33 miles. I like to run around my small town in the VX on the weekends and let it sit at the house during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    Mine is a weekend play toy that I might drive to work once every two weeks or so. My one-way commute is about 33 miles. I like to run around my small town in the VX on the weekends and let it sit at the house during the week.
    I feel ya. My commute is 45 miles each way so the VX only gets to go with me to work when I need to tow the trailer in or sumpn.

Of course, the mileage on the VX has doubled in the past 2 years since Boy has been driving it to school & cruzin & wheeling & stuff.

Man, I must be insane. We're considering starting a family and I bought a 2nd VX! ANOTHER PROTON! My OG VX is in mint condition and sitting in my in-laws garage. Junior (as we call him) is now my daily driver as I spend way too much time and $$ fixing him after rescuing him someone that didn't take good care of him at all. One day, he'll be almost as good as big brother. So don't get rid of your VX...Get another one!!
    Last edited by Baldwin : 09/08/2012 at 10:20 PM
    Call me a geek, or maybe even nerd, but face the facts, we da ones be rulin' this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Man, I must be insane. We're considering starting a family and I bought a 2nd VX
    Not insane at all. It's a little tricky when they are too young to buckle themselves but as soon as they can the VX is a great kid hauler

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Hmmm, perhaps it's time to get a 4-door version of the Range Rover - Evoque
    You expecting...

Tech...if you can afford to keep it, without having to turn baby depends inside out...do it!

Thanks for all the support. You guys are like pushers! Hahaha.

Dub, I'm hoping something works out. I REALLY don't want to have to do it.

Well, I can give you some insight. My daughter is 4 years old now. Loves riding in the VX (bouncy buggie). I have just made sure that the driveway had two other 4 door vehicles in the driveway. My VX was a weekender for awhile, blowing the dust off her now.

And I am in the same boat, my second child is due this spring. There will always be a VX in the garage.

Hope this helps..... Keep it
    chris