Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert MN....October?

I will definitely be camping, and I have only 1 tent so I will take you up on your open campsite. Is this campground popular enough where its generally required to reserve a camping spot so early in advance? Just wondering. PS I will not be following that buggy too far down the trail with my measly 3" lift, and hopefully I will be driving to AND from the site. No need to get in enough trouble to have to be brought home on a flatbed.

Lol, yeah I think they will be running different trails than most of us...unless Larry wants to test out his new locker.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Oh, and, a minor word of advice: wear your grubs, because that red mud (as seen on the buggy's tires) will stain clothing and is nearly impossible to get out. If the weather is dry, no big deal but if it rains...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian08 View Post
    I will definitely be camping, and I have only 1 tent so I will take you up on your open campsite. Is this campground popular enough where its generally required to reserve a camping spot so early in advance? Just wondering.
    No, it isn't that popular, but the BEST site at the campground is E6, so I reserve as soon as I know I am heading that direction. E6 is out on a hill-top overlooking the lake/mine pit, plus it's back in the woods. It's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian08 View Post
    PS I will not be following that buggy too far down the trail with my measly 3" lift, and hopefully I will be driving to AND from the site. No need to get in enough trouble to have to be brought home on a flatbed.
    I don't follow that buggy either since I drive to AND from as well! That's my man-friends home made buggy, which is an ISUZU!! It will fit right in!! It used to be an Isuzu Rodeo

Also - I second the comment about the Gilbert red mud - it will never come out of clothes so wear grubby ones!
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate View Post
    That's my man-friends home made buggy, which is an ISUZU!! It will fit right in!! It used to be an Isuzu Rodeo
    Ah yes, I can clearly see the resemblance...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    He needs to at least throw a Zu grill on it to represent!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    He needs to at least throw a Zu grill on it to represent!
    The rig still has the Isuzu steering wheel!! AND the rear axle, 3.2 engine, trans, and transfer case, although it has been re-geared, are all original equipment!!

BTW, Triathlete - he just completed his first Ironman a week and a half ago...Ironman Wisconsin - 10 hrs 45 mins - I am so proud of him!!

The rig still has the Isuzu steering wheel!! AND the rear axle, 3.2 engine, trans, and transfer case, although it has been re-geared, are all original equipment!!

BTW, Triathlete - he just completed his first Ironman a week and a half ago...Ironman Wisconsin - 10 hrs 45 mins - I am so proud of him!!
    Nice, that is a pretty good time for a first Ironman. How many other tri's has he done?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

I like it cuz it has spectacles...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Nice, that is a pretty good time for a first Ironman. How many other tri's has he done?
    He has only done one half iron (12 yrs ago) and a few other little adventure races. He used to be a professional mountain biker (multiple National titles) until he crashed and took out his shoulder. He hasn't raced in over 4 yrs, period. He got motivated to try an Ironman and did it. He hardly trained for the run - never over 10 miles, so he could do a lot better just right there. He just wanted to see if he liked racing again and he loved it. He's looking for another one to do next year! He will improve, I'm sure of it! Any seasoned veteran advice you could pass along?

PS - I was SO inspired watching him finish that I signed up for my first Half Iron in August of 2013 :-) (not Ironman sponsored, called the Superior Man with the swim in Lake Superior :-)) I'm excited!!

You'd be surprised how many people see it and go, "what was the base for that?" He says an Isuzu Rodeo and they say "oh yea, now I see it!" I have NO idea what they see, but hey, who am I to say what they do or don't see. You'll have to test your eyes for yourself I guess

Any seasoned veteran advice you could pass along?

PS - I was SO inspired watching him finish that I signed up for my first Half Iron in August of 2013 :-) (not Ironman sponsored, called the Superior Man with the swim in Lake Superior :-)) I'm excited!!
    Congrats...it's addictive...or you will totally hate it, there is no inbetween! )
    As far as advice...
    make sure you are properly trained for the swim. That is one thing you can't fake. You can coast on the bike, walk on the run but if you stop swimming you drown! Also hold back a little on the bike...your run will thank you. Proper race nutrition is vital. Slowtwitch.com is a great place to search and read a lot of info but you have to wade through the people who " think" they know what they are talking about! If you have any questions drop me a pm.

You'd be surprised how many people see it and go, "what was the base for that?" He says an Isuzu Rodeo and they say "oh yea, now I see it!" I have NO idea what they see, but hey, who am I to say what they do or don't see. You'll have to test your eyes for yourself I guess
    I'll be interested to look it over.

Anyone else interested in joining us in Gilbert, MN on October 13/14??

Right now I have 3 North Shore Wheeler's rigs attending - 2 TJs and 1 4runner all lifted on 33s w/lockers. Plus, the boyfriend's rock crawler.

For camping I have the 4 rigs above plus Lucian08. That fills the two spots I have reserved, but I am SURE there are other sites available if we want/need them.

Some others are staying at a hotel/motel - Ldub and BigSwede...anyone I am missing here?

I am looking forward to it. Anyone else going to join this "elite" MN wheeling group??

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    OK, Oct. 13th weekend is on the calender. Dunno if I'll be camping or hoteling, we'll see how the weather looks. I know Ldub and Jim are not into the camping thing. The Budget Host Inn looks quite affordable, $45 AAA rate.
    Well...I TRIED to reserve a room there, but it became readily apparent that the English speaking part of their assimilation to this country hadn't kicked in yet...
    I called the Bud Host 800# & told them I'll be happily taking my business elsewhere...

Kokes Motel in Eveleth, will be getting my business...