Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Top speed?

It is quite common for the manufacturer to "limit" their vehicles according to the "safe" top speed of the O.E.M. tires. I've had 2 Dodge Daytonas...an '89 with a run of the mill 2.5L 4-banger and it topped out around 115m.p.h. I also had a '92 IROC RT with a twin-cam turbo 2.2L 4-banger rated at 225 hp and I took it up to 130mph on a speedometer that went up to 160mph. I never did find out how fast that one could go! It had Goodyear Gatorbacks rated at 160mph continuous top speed as O.E.M. tires.

My Dad's F-150 4x4 says in the owners manual it'll only do 90mph.

Just so long as I can outrun any "wise guys" (aka mafia)....especially anyone by the name Soprano! LOL.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 11/03/2003 at 07:10 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    What's up John. I guarantee someone's bitin' their tounge on this one!
    Ya know mine's a bleedn' bad!!
    Scott / moncha.com

Let's not forget when VX was introduced. I first saw it on Boston Car Show in '97 or '98 maybe... (BTW I never thought I would own one). So in that timeframe I guess it was the fastest SUV out there - there was no Caenne or Infinity FX. For sure it is not a sports car but rather VERY fast SUV. 0 to 60 in 8 sec or so (please correct me experts who clocked stock VX) To me this VERY respected result for a SUV wich is for sure heavy. Why the hell on earth it is THAT heavy (frame, gearbox,engine, body panels which are pretty thick)

And for one this is not a pissing contest - majority of us here on the forum share ideas, help each other with advice, expand horizon of knowledge. One does not have to have PhD to understand that people who bought VX in the first place wanted to stand out, have fun under the sun and GO FURTHER !

Proud owner of '99 IRONMAN
    Andrey

That's true - for what it is, the VX is fast. I believe at the time it came out here in 1999 the only faster SUV was the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It always has amazed me how underpowered so many SUVs are, and particularly with the heavier 4x4s. This is one of those things the VX helped lead the way in changing.

Just as a side note, I once read the RAV-4 had the class-leading turn radius, but the VX had the exact same turn radius (34.1 feet, I believe). Of course, many publications don't count the VX and you'd think it never existed looking at some of them. Several used car publications do not list it, and there's no crash test data anywhere that I'm aware of. Although some members here can personally attest to its crashworthiness. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it had steel beams in the doors, but after being in there working on my windows, I have to say I don't think it would protect anyone in a side impact worth a damn. There's really nothing there to stop anything.

I love the thing anyway. :-)

Doesn't bother me. Some tennis shoes look pretty cool.

I've separated the EMC modification portion to it's own thread

Looks like my shoe comment above got moved from that thread to this one in the process. :-)