Thread: Shock squeeking

Shock squeeking

I have just bought my first VX. After I brought it home we took it out to try it out. After playing in a couple of very average ditches we noticed something in the front end making a consistent squeeking noise. I assumed the noise is suspension related? Is this normal? To my knowledge it is all original and has spent a good deal of it's life well protected in a garage without having alot of off road use. Could it be everything just needs to be "limbered" back up?

Ironman

I've noticed by reading on here that Ironman additions are white? Information on VIN comes back with the Ironman title, but my VX is black. What does this mean? Has it been repainted?

Suspension squeak, could be a hundred things, bushings, shocks, sway bar, who knows?!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for the Ironman, my proton says the same thing, but if you really want to know if its a repaint, check door jams, inside enhine compartment, under rear carpet. If its black, than you have an original Ebony, if its white, then you have a repaint

The ironman also had monogrammed carpets, (and maybe the seats?)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

No monograms anywhere. No white paint either! I may be paranoid about the noises. I was a little nervous in purchasing this VX. I have heard parts are expensive and sometimes hard to come buy. But this was love at first sight!

Front end squeeks are usually associated with rubber parts...as Marlin said above sway bar bushings, suspension bushings, shock bushings etc. In a vehicle of this age it is common. Dirt introduced by offroading will increase it (mine squeeks a lot). Parts can be pricey however if you are not affraid to get a little dirty you can save a lot of $$$ by doing most work yourself. There are a lot of how-to's here to guide you. Labor is what really jacks repair costs up.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by karrijp View Post
    I've noticed by reading on here that Ironman additions are white? Information on VIN comes back with the Ironman title, but my VX is black. What does this mean? Has it been repainted?
    Has to be a repaint, or a DMV error maybe?

Ironman Edition were all WHITE, and had all these but all could have been removed, except seats, they would have to have been replaced.:
    • Ironman in white letters across hood insert, closer to windshield
    • Ironman logo embossed on front leather seats (on the seat back)
    • Carpetmats had IM logo
    • Rear door had IM logo DECAL (not 3D) on left side of hump
    • B pillars had IM decal directly under "VehiCross"
    • Had the OEM factory Yakima Roof Rack (2 crossbars)

DId I forget anything gang?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks. Must be a DMV error. Has anyone taken a look at my post concerning tune ups? Wondering how far I should go with the "tuning" it up and it also sounds like the plugs can be tricky to reach. We were going to do this at home. Would I be better off going to a mechanic to do it?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Thanks. Must be a DMV error. Has anyone taken a look at my post concerning tune ups? Wondering how far I should go with the "tuning" it up and it also sounds like the plugs can be tricky to reach. We were going to do this at home. Would I be better off going to a mechanic to do it?
    Plugs are EASY on our engine. Don't worry, just take your time and you won't have any problems.

I changed out NGK plugs for Pulstar plugs a few weeks ago. Feels like I took 50K miles off the engine.

I did my spark plugs myself.....so ANYBODY can do it!
    It does take some muscle though, I had to have hubby loosen 5 of the 6.
    The passenger side, back plug is the hardest one to access.
    There's a How-To in maybe just a post that describes how to do it.
    As a newbie who'd never done this, ONE TIP I definitely followed was to tape the sparkplug puller to the socket so it didn't come off in the well

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    And use a good length of rubber tubing that fits snugly of the spark plug end to lower it into the well and get it started.

I did this when I tuned mine and it was a great way to ensure the gap stayed in place and plugs started off smoothly.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

It may be something as simple as the hood bumpers not being high enough and you get some squeaking because there is not enough pressure keeping it in place over bumps and rattles. Very common, and I adjusted mine this morning to fix the same issue.

Open the hood, and there in front of you on the front right and front left are two round-ish hard rubber stops. Turn them counter clockwise to raise them up a little more. If that does it, it'll be the easiest fix you ever did. Let us know!
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Wow! I am just loving this site! And it does this girls heart good to see another one who can do things like I do! I will definitly have my fiance's help with this. I just bought everything to spend my weekend detailing my new toy! I am so in love with it. It's going in our garage tonight to try the suggestions I have been getting. Thanks for all your help!