Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Maddawg's Madness /starting a make-over.

Maddawg's Madness /starting a make-over.

The jury's still out on whether or not I will be just upgrading to 33" tires or going all out for the body lift and 35" tires.

From what I have read here in the forums, the 35" tires are a no-go without the 4.77 ring and pinion to maintain a reasonable proximity to the stock 4.35 R&P gearing with stock 29.6 dia tire. Probably finding Nessie in your swimming pool would be easier as I understand it. But I'm not ruling out the possibility.

So for openers here's what I'm beginning with: My VX already with a 3" suspension lift. General Grabber 255/55R18 tires.

I have received the Procomp wheels I will be mounting for either a 33" or 35" tire. 16x8 / 0" offset (4.5" backspace) / 108mm center. In case you're wondering, the outside edge measures 1 1/2" further outboard, the inside edge measures 1/2" further outboard than stock.

Nah, you can't have my old wheels, they're going onto my Axiom.

Now its sit on my hands and wait to hear (its been a week now) from the two outfits who are going to do the body lift. Stay tuned for further developments!
    Last edited by Maddawg : 08/17/2015 at 09:45 PM
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Still plan on parking it in the garage when you're finished?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    35's and standard gearing is NOT a "No Go" IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    From what I have read here in the forums, the 35" tires are a no-go without the 4.77 ring and pinion to maintain a reasonable proximity to the stock 4.35 R&P gearing with stock 29.6 dia tire. Probably finding Nessie in your swimming pool would be easier as I understand it. But I'm not ruling out the possibility.
    :
    I've been driving on 35's for approx 3 years with the OEM diffs...including Moab twice.

Yes, there are changes to acceleration and shift points...
    ....and your speedo will read under.

But its perfectly do-able with a little driver modification!!

The 4.77's are difficult to find...but not impossible.
    I have found two matched sets in the past 1.5 years......with help from friends here
    and also a simple " 4.77's Wanted" post over at the Planet.

I blew the back one up from the original set immediately ( bad seal)....
    .......hence searched for a replacement set.

I will be putting the 4.77's on with my 35's...but its more because I got a set with Aussie Lockers front and back...than a gearing issue for me.

Why not start a search now for the 4.77's....go with 35's....
    ....and swap out the OEM diffs when ya find the 4.77's?

Just a thought ....

And ....a body lift is not required for 35's...given some grinding and hammering.
    Plus..no body lift helps keep Center of Gravity lower.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Still plan on parking it in the garage when you're finished?
    Darn right, and chained to the floor, lol. Yes, I know what your asking, it will get used regardless of pretty. I sunk about 25K into my previous Baja and everyone thought "Thats it, he'll never take it off-road again", wrong! I doubt if I will get to the "swamp buggy" tires, I kinda like the rally look, but just thinking at the moment, still not sure. I like Little Beast's setup a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    35's and standard gearing is NOT a "No Go" IMO...

I've been driving on 35's for approx 3 years with the OEM diffs...including Moab twice.

Yes, there are changes to acceleration and shift points...
    ....and your speedo will read under.

But its perfectly do-able with a little driver modification!!

The 4.77's are difficult to find...but not impossible.
    I have found two matched sets in the past 1.5 years......with help from friends here
    and also a simple " 4.77's Wanted" post over at the Planet.

I blew the back one up from the original set immediately ( bad seal)....
    .......hence searched for a replacement set.

I will be putting the 4.77's on with my 35's...but its more because I got a set with Aussie Lockers front and back...than a gearing issue for me.

Why not start a search now for the 4.77's....go with 35's....
    ....and swap out the OEM diffs when ya find the 4.77's?

Just a thought ....

And ....a body lift is not required for 35's...given some grinding and hammering.
    Plus..no body lift helps keep Center of Gravity lower.

Jo
    Thanks for the tip Jo! This is really good feedback. BTW, I never heard of the Planet. I'll see if I can find it. Can you tell me what to expect price wise for the 4.77's, just a ball park number. You can PM me if you dont want to mention it here. I was measuring my tire clearance at the back and with 33's I will need to put the hated rear bump stops back on. (They've already been cut, but they were bottoming out so I took them off. With the 35's and no body lift I will have to put the Energy full size stops back on. Then the hard ride returns. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    Last edited by Maddawg : 09/30/2012 at 01:18 PM

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    You have a PM....

Darn right, and chained to the floor, lol. Yes, I know what your asking, it will get used regardless of pretty. I sunk about 25K into my previous Baja and everyone thought "Thats it, he'll never take it off-road again", wrong! I doubt if I will get to the "swamp buggy" tires, I kinda like the rally look, but just thinking at the moment, still not sure. I like Little Beast's setup a lot.
    I was meaning, will it fit through the door when you get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    I was meaning, will it fit through the door when you get finished.
    Duh, that's a good question, not thought of that. Well, it probably will but now it will be a tighter squeeze for me, between it and the workbench.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Duh, that's a good question, not thought of that. Well, it probably will but now it will be a tighter squeeze for me, between it and the workbench.
    A lot of times, headroom (door clearance) becomes an issue as you go up...

Mine is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    A lot of times, headroom (door clearance) becomes an issue as you go up...

Mine is too big.
    Thankfully I have roll up doors. Hadn't thought of up clearance, but my Avalanche with 4'' lift fits with extra room, so I think it should be alright. But the old adage, measure twice and cut once applies in all cases. Yes, I was looking at yours this morning, nice rig Ldub! I doubt if I will be adding a roof basket or lights at the top. One thought I have is removing the backseats and adding a spare tire mount inside. Any driving lights will be on the front.
    Last edited by Maddawg : 09/30/2012 at 10:46 AM

I had a nice talk with JoFotoz by phone last night and he was very well versed in pros and cons of 33'' and 35" tires and gearing also turned me on to Planet Isuzoo. Thanks very much for the help!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Thanks very much for the help!!
    No worries...I'll take any opportunity to say: "mine is too big"..

Thankfully I have roll up doors. Hadn't thought of up clearance, but my Avalanche with 4'' lift fits with extra room, so I think it should be alright. But the old adage, measure twice and cut once applies in all cases. Yes, I was looking at yours this morning, nice rig Ldub! I doubt if I will be adding a roof basket or lights at the top. One thought I have is removing the backseats and adding a spare tire mount inside. Any driving lights will be on the front.
    Here's some ideas:

1) With my rear seat removed (and long gone!), I laid mine flat (31.5"),
    then used 2 ratchet straps in an "X" configuration woven in and out of the spokes and secured to each of the factory metal tie downs on the floor. IIRC my straps were rated at 7,500 lbs.

2) Rowhard did a spare tire mount in the rear, with the tire in an upright position.

3) I believe JollyRogerVX made a spare tie down like the ones you see in the bed of pickups...tire is up at a 45 degree angle.

Check out their galleries for pics and ideas.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I have to agree with Jo that 35's with stock gearing is just fine. Yes its a good bit slower accelerating and the speedo is off, but that's easy to get used to. In 4-low it creeps along plenty slow for most stuff and I actually like the effectively longer gearing for normal street driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    No worries...I'll take any opportunity to say: "mine is too big"..
    Wait, are we still talking about your car here??