Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 'ZuZu VX - May 2013: 5/12/13 - 5/18/13

I really want to go this year. As I mentioned in my "maybe" RSVP, my sister got me a gift certificate to rent a 4-wheeler (Razor thingy) out from Moab (she said it was all she could think of for the guy who has everything - I checked and am pretty sure some of my everything is missing! But it is a cool gift).

The problem is I am just starting back to work after more than a year off on awful medical leave, so I have zero vacation saved up (burned that before the medical leave kicked in) and am still only working half time. So I have to see how things go and measure the likelihood that my boss would approved the time off so soon after getting back. We are swamped at work, and they, in all modest, need me, since they hired a bunch of college grads that are willing but inexperienced mechanical engineers. I somehow became the wise old man of the engineering dept. Even my boss is two years younger and less experienced in oil and gas than I am. *sigh* (note: I am only 43)

What the situation with rooms? How many do you think are still available? Also, if I do go, my dad wants to come too. Which would at least be nice to have a second driver for the trip out and back.

Fingers crossed. I am just going to have to whip these green kids in to shape so they can do real work before May.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    TO CONFIRM...

Just talked to Devon at Red Rock...
    (Gismo heard 'em talking about us!!)

Call DEVON.. 1-435-259-5431

Invoke the VX deal...and get :-

No event fees
    15% discount.

All good.

Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by twalker920 View Post

What the situation with rooms? How many do you think are still available? Also, if I do go, my dad wants to come too. Which would at least be nice to have a second driver for the trip out and back.
    Call the motel, talk to Devon.

Thought a little graphic and pics would help the noobes get a feeling for the motel and "The Stoop".

The motel rooms are laid out as two separate rectangles, one story, and both sections face the parking lot in between the two.
    Parking lot is only about 4-5 car lengths wide, so everything and everybody's rooms are really close by. There's parking spaces in front of each room.

The block of rooms with numbers 101 - 112 is the "older" motel, smaller rooms, very basic, lined up side by side by side, with a cement walkway /sidewalk along the front of the rooms.

The other block actually has two segments, #114 - 119, AND #120 - 125 one segment has 6 rooms then another straight segment has another 6 rooms, and an outdoor hot tub between them.

Each asterick is a room, the black parallel lines are the street along the front, and the red circle is the hot tub.

#112-------------------------------------#101
    *********** ||

---------------------PARKING LOT-------------------------- ||

****** O ****** ||
    #125-------------#120-------#110---------------#114 ||

There's a little grassy/dirt area next to the end room #112 (LDub's) as well as a little extra paved area in front of that room that has a picnic table. Dub sets up his Choco Monkee making factory on the picnic table, and we all bring lawn chairs and set up along the walkway and the parking lot toward the end of the building?.and it's magically transformed into what is affectionately known as "The Stoop"

Can see the "older" section of motel to left:

And the other section, to the right:

Can see rooms behind my truck?think that's room 106.

Last edited by VX KAT : 01/23/2013 at 12:45 AM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    BOOM, finally booked.

Last room on the Stoop RM #101.
    Quote Originally Posted by ND92 View Post
    I be booked!!!!! Not sure what room it is but it's in the new part. Wish I could have gotten the same room as last year but its just me this year.
    Can't wait to see everyone again!!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Got the reservation amount all fixed finally! And got room 121 again, checkin sunday.....checkout friday.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

I remember being on the trails down in Moab back in the early 2000's in May and running across awesome Isuzu's all the time. Now that I'm the proud owner of a Trooper, I hunted around for this gathering and found it here.

I'm relatively new to Isuzu's, but not to Moab (been heading down there many times a year in Samurai's since 1993) and I'd love to tag along for this gathering if you'll allow another non-VX.

How is 'Zu Zoo structured? Do you guys have planned trails for each day or is it more of a wake up in the morning and figure out whats going on?

SRN, welcome to the forum.

ALL Isuzu's are welcome at Moab. The whole thing started off as an organized, official, event where you had to register and sign up for trails ahead of time. Over the years it got too complicated, and too expensive (insurance) so it sort of de-evolved into what it is now; a bunch of Isuzu nuts getting together to have a good time in the desert (or is that dessert?). It's, sort of, turned into a mostly VX thing, but a few other Isuzuers show up too. We have a few Troopers show up every year, and one or two Rodeo's.

As for trails, it's mostly a rag-tag, seat-of-the-pants, kind of thing. Everyone meets at "The Stoop" (the Red Rock Lodge) each evening for drinks and stories and trail teams will kind of naturally form from there, but some trails are decided on the morning of while everyone is sitting in line.

Come on out, it would be great to meet more Zuers.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    We have a few Troopers show up every year, and one or two Rodeo's.
    Im starting to think the stoop goons have selective memorirs, they always manage to forget Jay and myself, showing up in anything but a Zu.
    Once a VXer, always a VXer.

Oh, and dessert is the yummy one mark, you always want more, so it has 2 s'es.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Im starting to think the stoop goons have selective memorirs, they always manage to forget Jay and myself, showing up in anything but a Zu.
    Once a VXer, always a VXer.

Oh, and dessert is the yummy one mark, you always want more, so it has 2 s'es.
    Yeah, we are joining Zeus as the red-headed step children that are "never spoken of publically".

Plus it doesn't help that most of us have more grey hair every year and do our best to kill as many brain cells as possible with alcohol each night on the stoop.

Sorry guys (Jack and Jay) didn't mean to exclude either of you. I just look forward to seeing everyone and I could care less what they drive. Like y'all said, I still think of you as Zu owners and keep forgetting that you own anything else.

So basically what we're saying is that everyone is welcome, but you have to play nice.

I sup'pose we will let it go this time Mark...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    It would help if you had the appropriate "Isuzu" or "Vehicross" badging on your outcast vehicle. Then we'll at least know you're part of our group and not the annual Runner/Rubicon Mid-May Safari Jamboree.

Example: The Isuzu FJ -

I'm thinking about making a trip to the junkyard today, I'll look for the appropriate badging for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    It would help if you had the appropriate "Isuzu" or "Vehicross" badging on your outcast vehicle. Then we'll at least know you're part of our group and not the annual Runner/Rubicon Mid-May Safari Jamboree.

Example: The Isuzu FJ -

I'm thinking about making a trip to the junkyard today, I'll look for the appropriate badging for both of you.
    Hey, that's at the stoop and with a VX on either side….who's is that?
    mhill's VX on the right, so it's either 2011 or 2012.
    I was there and I don't recall seeing it, oh wait, that's not unusual for me when I'm on the stoop.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Hey, that's at the stoop and with a VX on either side….who's is that?
    mhill's VX on the right, so it's either 2011 or 2012.
    I was there and I don't recall seeing it, oh wait, that's not unusual for me when I'm on the stoop.
    If I remember right, that is Craig's FJ. He was at Moab 2012 & led a group of us through Poison Spider.

Yeah its Craigs FJ that replaced the little trooper that could. He only had the Isuzu badge on for one day.
    --Dave

Get me a VX wannabe badge and ill sport it Jon