Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 'ZuZu VX - May 2013: 5/12/13 - 5/18/13

'91 Trooper. ('86 Trooper II, under constuction)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRN View Post
    I'd love to tag along for this gathering if you'll allow another non-VX.

How is 'Zu Zoo structured? Do you guys have planned trails for each day or is it more of a wake up in the morning and figure out whats going on?

Yo Stephen!!! Glad to see you over here.

Structure???
    What is this you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Guess who's in room 104. Huh? Can you guess?

Here's a hint: he'll have Idaho air in his tires.
    Awesome!!!
    We are in 103. I will likely be in the new Trooper. She's so purty.

95 Days!

Quote Originally Posted by Donner View Post
    Awesome!!!
    We are in 103. I will likely be in the new Trooper. She's so purty.
    you got a new trooper!? 2nd gen?
    '93 Trooper 3" lift 32"s. '00 VX

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)
    How about a Russian member, folks? I will be in California in the first half of May... So - will you let me join you without a Vehicross?
    Vodka... Connecting people

Come on up Petos. You will have no problem finding an open seat.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Petos View Post
    How about a Russian member, folks? I will be in California in the first half of May... So - will you let me join you without a Vehicross?
    Awesome Petr, will be great to meet you!
    Let us know if you need picked up at an airport or anything.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Denver Convoy

Ok, I am going. I don't care what work says about it. Or the fact that I owe an enormous amount of taxes this year.

So, I need to book somewhere to stay, and I wanted to ask the Denver peeps (such as VXorado and PBkid) when they are heading out and if they want to convoy out together (safety in numbers....for mechanical reasons...I am reminded of the burning Jeep we had for just the beginning of one of our trail rides we did).

I think my dad wants to go too. He's retiring at the end of May, but already has Short-Timer's Disease.

What say you Denver dudes?

um or well this might be a stupid question but, what is the worst that we will have to put our babies through? I mean in terms of the obstacle? i have moded my vx out but i donT want to be breaking anything now lol. i dont want to sound like a little girly man but it is my DD.
    whitebread

Quote Originally Posted by twalker920 View Post
    So, I need to book somewhere to stay, and I wanted to ask the Denver peeps (such as VXorado and PBkid) when they are heading out and if they want to convoy out together (safety in numbers....for mechanical reasons...I am reminded of the burning Jeep we had for just the beginning of one of our trail rides we did).

What say you Denver dudes?
    Most of the fam stays at the Red Rock Lodge in downtown Moab: http://www.red-rocklodge.com/ This is the place that we have all be calling The Stoop. It's a, relatively, cheap place to stay and they tend to put up with our shinanagins. Most of the trail runs usually start from the parking lot of The Stoop too. It's kind of the center of our little Moab universe.

Others will camp at some of the various camp grounds around the Moab area, but I think most stay at The Portal ( http://www.portalrvresort.com/ ), but it sounds like some people are having/ have had issues with these guys. I think they have cabins you can rent too. Moab really isn't that big, so anywhere you stay you'll still be close to the action. There is another 1960ish motel called The Apache Motel ( http://www.apachemotelinmoab.com/ ) and it looks like it could be promising. There has been talk that if the Red Rocks Lodge ever closes down (they've been threatening) we'll just move the party to The Apache.

We have done a big Colorado Convoy before, but it seems to have broken down over the past few years with a few of us heading over at different times. I'm over in Carbondale and I'll be heading to Moab on Sunday afternoon/evening so if you want to head over then I can meet you in Glenwood Springs and we can convoy over from there.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebreadx View Post
    um or well this might be a stupid question but, what is the worst that we will have to put our babies through? I mean in terms of the obstacle? i have moded my vx out but i donT want to be breaking anything now lol. i dont want to sound like a little girly man but it is my DD.
    You can really push your baby as hard as you want to in Moab. Everything from dirt roads to big gnarly ledges and rock gardens. My VX is my daily driver too and I am always VERY careful how I drive it out in Moab. I really don't want to ding or scratch it and, so far, I've done pretty good. It's amazing what a bone stock VX is capable of, and I know that my VX is capable of WAY more than I am. I just get nervous and don't really like getting all tippy.

We usually break up into a few groups when we go out on trails and you can always jump in with the group that suits your skill/comfort level. In the past we have done a VX only run where all of us go out together, and we usually pick a pretty gentle trail so that all of the new people can get their Moab feet under them. It was decided to NOT go on the VX only run any more because it usually ended up being a very long day, and some people got a little bored with some of the trails that we did. We did decide to do a newbie run on the first day of ZuZoo (usually that Tuesday) where a few of the "old guys" would volunteer to take the new people out on an easy trail so that they could get a better feel for what their VX is capable of.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Most of the fam stays at the Red Rock Lodge in downtown Moab: http://www.red-rocklodge.com/ This is the place that we have all be calling The Stoop. It's a, relatively, cheap place to stay and they tend to put up with our shinanagins. Most of the trail runs usually start from the parking lot of The Stoop too. It's kind of the center of our little Moab universe.

Others will camp at some of the various camp grounds around the Moab area, but I think most stay at The Portal ( http://www.portalrvresort.com/ ), but it sounds like some people are having/ have had issues with these guys. I think they have cabins you can rent too. Moab really isn't that big, so anywhere you stay you'll still be close to the action. There is another 1960ish motel called The Apache Motel ( http://www.apachemotelinmoab.com/ ) and it looks like it could be promising. There has been talk that if the Red Rocks Lodge ever closes down (they've been threatening) we'll just move the party to The Apache.

We have done a big Colorado Convoy before, but it seems to have broken down over the past few years with a few of us heading over at different times. I'm over in Carbondale and I'll be heading to Moab on Sunday afternoon/evening so if you want to head over then I can meet you in Glenwood Springs and we can convoy over from there.

You can really push your baby as hard as you want to in Moab. Everything from dirt roads to big gnarly ledges and rock gardens. My VX is my daily driver too and I am always VERY careful how I drive it out in Moab. I really don't want to ding or scratch it and, so far, I've done pretty good. It's amazing what a bone stock VX is capable of, and I know that my VX is capable of WAY more than I am. I just get nervous and don't really like getting all tippy.

We usually break up into a few groups when we go out on trails and you can always jump in with the group that suits your skill/comfort level. In the past we have done a VX only run where all of us go out together, and we usually pick a pretty gentle trail so that all of the new people can get their Moab feet under them. It was decided to NOT go on the VX only run any more because it usually ended up being a very long day, and some people got a little bored with some of the trails that we did. We did decide to do a newbie run on the first day of ZuZoo (usually that Tuesday) where a few of the "old guys" would volunteer to take the new people out on an easy trail so that they could get a better feel for what their VX is capable of.
    oh okay cool thanks that is really helpful info. I just wasn't sure how is was but thanks for the info.

Even if you never get out on a trail in Moab, just hanging out with the rest of the Isuzu family is well worth the trip. Doing a trail or two is just icing on the cake, and a lot of fun to boot.

Mark, us campers haven't stayed at Portal for a few years now. The campground most use now is Pack Creek.

Whitebread, if you find someone with a similarly built vehicle that has some experience the best thing to do is line up behind them. You can follow them and see the line they take. All of us have to drive home at the end of the week so we are not out to destroy our rigs however some of us are a bit more comfortable pushing our rigs a little further than others.If at any

....time you are not comfortable just give a yell and someone will jump out and spot you over an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Even if you never get out on a trail in Moab, just hanging out with the rest of the Isuzu family is well worth the trip. Doing a trail or two is just icing on the cake, and a lot of fun to boot.
    Not getting out on the trail is blasphemy!