Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where should I live???

Go West my son, go West.

I moved out here from Chicago 6 years ago. There is NO comparison. Set your VehiCROSS free!!!

Bart

Talking Thanks!

Awesome guys this is helpful! Also, I didn't know all those companies were in Colorado. They're kind of up my ally since I've spent some time in aerospace at Sundstrand already. Its harder than it sounds to search companies by city. I went to Denver once and LOVED it, so leaning that direction, but I want to keep my eyes and mind open to all other ideas too.

KEEP IT UP! more opinions welcome, this is a major decision (duh...) so the more I know the better. I'd like to do some visiting. I'm hoping to get a couple places to fly me out for interviews if I can manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Go West my son, go West.

I moved out here from Chicago 6 years ago. There is NO comparison. Set your VehiCROSS free!!!

Bart
    Too freakin' cold there too! I am West (of you, lol).
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    Too freakin' cold there too! I am West (of you, lol).
    Reno? Cold? Naaaa. Chicago is cold. Wisconsin is cold. That place where Dub lives, is stupid cold. Reno has very mild weather in my opinion. I like 40s/50s/60s/70s. Outside of that is too cold or too hot.

Bart

If you like mountains or skiing, move to NH.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

This should have been a poll thread, but I'm going to pitch in my two cents for WA. You get mountains, desert, snow, ocean, all within a few hours of each other!

Quote Originally Posted by HeckaTrebeka View Post
    This should have been a poll thread, but I'm going to pitch in my two cents for WA. You get mountains, desert, snow, ocean, all within a few hours of each other!
    You should work for the Chamber of Commerce, or do you, lol??
    You didn't mention the fog, rain for about six months a year.

Well if we are planning someone else's life. I think to stay in the automotive industry I would pick a small village called Sant'Agata Bolognese or perhaps the larger city Maranello.

Hmmm, trying to think of how to promote Oklahoma. Our license plate slogan used to be "Oklahoma is OK" which I always thought was the same as putting on, "Hi, we're mediocre."

Seriously, though... if you spend a little time looking around - it's actually kinda neat! Desert-like scrub in the southwest, some big sand dune-y areas in the northwest and hills / forests in the east. Lots of great fishing lakes & rivers and the Wichita Mountain range (while ancient and worn down to nubs) are awesome for hiking, climbing and exploring. Most of these various terrains are about 2-3 hours away from the near-exact center of the state, Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City-life is also also diverse. Like any major city there are rich and impoverished areas intermixed with phenomenally wonderful schools and universities. Rabid allegiance to collage sports, OKC Thunder basketball and minor league hockey & baseball. We have plenty of world class employers interested in engineering talent.

Housing? Cost of living? WOW! Cheap, cheap, cheap!

May not be a first choice for those not willing to go out of their way for outdoor excitement, but due to the low cost of living is a prime early retirement spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    You should work for the Chamber of Commerce, or do you, lol??
    You didn't mention the fog, rain for about six months a year.
    Haha, well if I sound like I'm promoting Washington, it's because I've lived here almost all my life(with one year lived in AZ)

We just had an end to this year's 80 day drought which, IMHO, I can't wait to bring on the rain! But really, there are desert areas of Washington which do not see that much rain. Overall, Washington is drier than most other states. It's just the western coast of Washington that gets most the rain. I would say more like 9 months out of the year! I live on the rainy side of WA, but I love the rain and it really help you to appreciate the summer months when it's hot and dry out here.

I'll add another vote for Colorado. Wasn't enthralled with the Fredericksburg/DC area. MD is a pit. Orlando is like Hampton Roads for me... great for work and play for a while, but it gets old quick. I will say that if you can find someone to pay you to live out here, Hawaii doesn't suck. When that gets old for me, I'll try the Pacific Northwest next (unless I can con someone into paying me to live in NZ) before I return to Colorado.
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I like 40s/50s/60s/70s. Outside of that is too cold or too hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeckaTrebeka View Post
    We just had an end to this year's 80 day drought which, IMHO, I can't wait to bring on the rain!
    X2 on both

If you're not living in California you're in denial.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Another vote for CO here. There is absolutely every outdoor activity possible, plus the general public is the friendliest i've ever met. Our general cost of living is pretty reasonable, definately much cheaper than any of the coasts.

Plus it never hurts to live in a state where there is a big following of 'car buffs'. Like Jon said, more sunshine than any other state.
    Sure, there are about 3-4 months of the year where its chilly and snows, but its nothing compared to where you are now, much drier and it melts by the next day, and the weather is back up to mid 60's.
    some of the cheapest gas in the nation, which doesnt hurt when you drive a VX ;-)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Another vote for CO here. There is absolutely every outdoor activity possible, plus the general public is the friendliest i've ever met. Our general cost of living is pretty reasonable, definately much cheaper than any of the coasts.

Plus it never hurts to live in a state where there is a big following of 'car buffs'. Like Jon said, more sunshine than any other state.
    Sure, there are about 3-4 months of the year where its chilly and snows, but its nothing compared to where you are now, much drier and it melts by the next day, and the weather is back up to mid 60's.
    some of the cheapest gas in the nation, which doesnt hurt when you drive a VX ;-)
    Aaaand with legalization just around the corner...

You know.