Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine is blown, please help me decide what to do..... :-(

Engine is blown, please help me decide what to do..... :-(

For the past few months if I drove the VX for more than 1 hour at a time the check engine light would come on and it might die once, but then I just put it in neutral and it started back up no problem, but I still was worried I might be occasionally loosing compression to one of the cylinders.

So a few days ago I started smelling some oil/gas burning from the VX while driving, I hoped it was no big worry. Well 2 days ago while stopped at a stop light I started seeing smoke and it was coming from my tailpipe. So I dropped it off at my faithful honest mechanic that I know very well (and he knows the VX a little too well).

He called me today:
    -oil is getting up to the #6 cylinder spark plug fast.
    -he cleaned the spark plug and as much around the area as he could and it ran fine for a few miles, but very quickly turned back into a smoke machine.

What do I do?????

Options:
    #1 - total rebuild using all new parts bored out 20/1000ths from Texon Motors = $3600 (3yr warranty, all new everything) http://www.texonmotorcenter.com/
    #2 - let mechanic at McIntyre auto do minimum rebuild $?
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 10/17/2012 at 08:48 AM

Dpends on your budget, but personally, I would go the more expensive route. You have put so much work and money into it, why cheap out now. I often smell gas in mine, but I fortuntatley throw no lights other than 0440. If mine dies, I am really going to look at putting a diesel in it. But I have 3 vehicles so time is not a huge deal. I hope to never have to make that decision at 140K miles and meticulously performed maintenance. How many miles do you have?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

The diesel is an interesting option but pricey and difficult; you'll probably have to import an engine from Japan (new) or Canada (used) along with the right ECU and everything else you need. And then good luck finding replacement parts quickly for an engine that was never marketed in this country.

Still a diesel would be an Isuzu solution and (probably) dramatically increase your fuel economy. But I would also consider a swap to an Ecotec or V8 depending on price.

156k miles, and I have done all oil changes with Mobil 1 full synthetic myself :-(

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    sorry to hear Ryan! I would go the extensive rebuild route.....you have the best VX out there! I know I only drive mine once every couple weeks now and drove it last week, its just eating oil and I noticed last week it smelled like it was burning oil so much so that I checked the oil again when I got to work and had to add an entire quart, so I know its time too......as soon as it cools down we are pulling my engine out of my original VX and getting it ready for transplant. I am too nervous nilly to drive mine much now til thats finished. Good luck and lets make it a Houston meet and we can all help out!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

It sucks to have a blown engine. Mine went at around 60,000m's. I wasn't apart of the forum when it happened so I was in the dark as to what to do. My family mechanic and i phoned around to almost every mechanic in the city and province to see who could help but no one would even look at it (had a few hang up on me). So my mechanic took it on and outsourced an engine shop to help. It turned out that my left camshafts seized up and blew the rods into the heads, destroying them. They tried to fix it but couldnt, so they searched for parts for months. I wish I new about the new engines at st.charles or a swap with a different engine because it would have cost the same as what I paid for a top end rebuild. I agree with Marlin, depends on your budget. But the complete rebuild would be worth it.
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.

Ryan, this is terrible news. It seems like we've had a spat of engine's going out recently. Like you, I was very faithful on oil changes and never really dogged the engine (I rarely reved it past 3500 rpm's), but I guess some of them are just going to give up the ghost no matter what.

Of the two options you listed, I would go with the full rebuild if you have the dough. Make SURE that the new pistons have the extra oil drain holes in them or you'll end up with an oil burning issue again (if you had one in the first place). Texon looks like a good company and the Isuzu engine is just an engine so if they're business is rebuilding engines then everything should be just fine. Do you know what is wrong with your engine? I'm just afraid that they will get into it to rebuild it and find something that they can't fix so you'll be out of a useable VX AND the money that it took to get into the motor to find out it's unfixable. I'm usually an optimist, but that was my biggest concern when my motor needed to be replaced. What if I spend all this time and money to have the engine removed and broken down only to find that it can't be rebuilt then I have to spend more money for a new or rebuilt motor AND the VX is out of commission for an undetermined amount of time (it's my daily driver).

If money was no object, or you could take out a loan for it, I would totally endorse buying a new Isuzu motor. When I got mine there were only 16 left in the country so I have no idea if there are many left. The motor that I bought was, apparently, manufactured in 2011 and has the updated pistons with the extra oil drain holes in them. I've been driving on the new motor for over 4,000 miles now and I've only had to add a tiny bit of oil after about 3,000 miles (I used to have to add 3/4 of a quart every 300-350 miles). I'd be happy to get you in touch with Jerry Lemond as he can get a little bit of a discount on new Isuzu motors.

Good luck.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Dang it Ryan...so bummed to hear this.
    Talking to Jerry Lemond would be a good plan either way...IMO.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerry is the man when it comes to parts. I which I had known about him with I rebuilt my motor, it would have been cheaper and way quicker. I had a nightmare getting my engine timed correctly after a reputable shop built it. They claimed to know how to build it but failed miserably. Actually met Jerry during the build process and had him call the machinist to instruct him on how to properly install the cams and time the engine!

After watching Xtreme 4x4 put a VW diesel in a samurai I wondered about putting it in the VX.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Mechanic said minimum would be $2k, so I called Texon and they are towing it to their shop for a complete rebuild. I am not worried about their work, they are a top of the line engine shop. 3.5L will be better than ever and guaranteed for 3 years. But I will be out $3500. Just when I was going to buy the HD front torsion bars!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    That sounds like a great deal Ryan.
    Glad youre getting it sorted without spending a (huge) fortune .

jo

Man, I feel like I should buy one of those few remaining motors just for prosperity!

Bart

The LittleBeast is at Texon Motors and they are taking the engine out now. Number 6 cylinder had 95% failure on compression, but it still starts right up, haha. They will bore it out 20/1000th, but it may also be that my CPU is bad as well. Any ideas there?

I will run by there today or tomorrow for some photos I hope.

I know you don't want to do this, but you should do an LS swap. By LS I mean LS1 or LS6 made by chevy.