Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lifted 2 VX in one day.

Lifted 2 VX in one day.

I am happy to say that we (my wife and I) lifted her Proton 1" and my Ebony 2" in one day.
    the results are awesome and we do not have any of the vibration issues or clunking or noises that are reported by others in other links. I have met 2 other VX owners in Salt Lake and will help them lift if they would like. I thought I would post a pic if I can for our friends we met and miss from the 2012 VX Moab meet. We hope you are all doing good and look forward to seeing you in 2013.
    Jerry and Lizette.

Congrats! How long did each lift take you and what did you use for lift?

They only took about 2 hours each because I'm so particular about how things are to be when I put parts back together. I made sure to put antisieze on all of the bolts and everything.
    For the money the lift with a spacer and cranking the tortion bars is a simple way to go and you don't mess with much.
    After talking to a lot of folks about different options I decided I like the stock ride just not the ride height. I didn't think that OME springs are the best option for reasons discussed with other owners that have used the springs. I know that this is a preference deal, and have lifted other vehicles in the past. My expereince is that when you mess with one part you better be ready to mess with others. I wanted to keep this to a minimum for now. A spacer is a simple addition and simple to take out if I want in the future. If I want to lift with new springs I will talk to a shop that made springs for my other Money pit car and have the spring Pysically taller than the stock spring so when wheeling the spring stays in place.

For the bucks it is easy and looks the same as others that paid more. Now I have the bucks for other parts that I plan to add. The spacer is for a Dodge ram 94-11 truck and fits the spring nicely. You can pick these up for about 60-70 bucks. best lift for 70 bucks and rides just fine.
    Last edited by arcobarco : 10/21/2012 at 03:26 PM

Good job, man. The front seems a bit tall though. Did you max out the crank?-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    If I want to lift with new springs I will talk to a shop that made springs for my other Money pit car and have the spring Pysically taller than the stock spring so when wheeling the spring stays in place. .
    Man you two got IT BAD, dontcha! 3 VXs within, what...10 months?
    Looks good, love that black out look. Looking forward to seeing you both in May!

Is that a Corvair in the back ground???
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Vendetta,

I thought the same thing but when I measure from the ground to the edge of the wheel well on all of the tires at the center of the hub it is the same so I thought that this is appropriate. If not then let me know. My drive way is a little slanted so, it may be due to that. Otherwise the vehicle seems to be just fine while driving. guess I will see as things progress, and I'm condiering the Heavy duty front torsion bars. I would like to have a front winch located under the cladding if I can manage to fit it. Well see I am able to Jerry rig things pretty good.

Kat,

The car infrnt of the VX is my other money pit. It's a 1962 Buick Skylark 2dr hardtop. It has a few modificatoins and is no where near stock any more. I have a small forturne investied in it and I am now shifting from it to the VX. I have plans to sell it to take the $ to invest in to the 2 VX's we have. My wife wants to have some of the goodies she has seen on the other VX's so we will be getting some upgrades for her. Then we plan on seeing you all at then next VX meet in Moab a little better prepared for some trails. I sure miss you and all of the other VX folks. We had an awesome time whith everyone there. See you soon.
    Jerry & Lizette
    P.S. We just picked up an Astral for my step daughter from one of the Forum members and it is on the way here. It needs an engine, but if all goes well she may join us for the fun in Moab to. Now it's a family event.

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    Vendetta,

I thought the same thing but when I measure from the ground to the edge of the wheel well on all of the tires at the center of the hub it is the same so I thought that this is appropriate. If not then let me know. My drive way is a little slanted so, it may be due to that. Otherwise the vehicle seems to be just fine while driving. guess I will see as things progress, and I'm condiering the Heavy duty front torsion bars. I would like to have a front winch located under the cladding if I can manage to fit it. Well see I am able to Jerry rig things pretty good.
    Jerry,

The default VX stance has a slight forward rake to it. Purely cosmetic I'd assume, providing you left some breathing room in the torsion bars. But if it works for you then I say run with it.

-V

Couple things, those spring spacers are $20-30 on amazon, I got the 1.5's to go along with my OME 912 springs because the 2" spacers were too much with the 912's.

Looks pretty good however I would suggest the front be 1/2" lower then the rear for multiple reasons. A few being: headlight angle, CV angle, handling, and looks :-)

Also just because you do not have vibrations yet does not mean they will not surface, if so just get adjustable lower links easy fix.

Looks great so far! :-)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Looks great Jerry, can't wait to see it after the 1" body lift and bigger meats.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Couple things, those spring spacers are $20-30 on amazon, I got the 1.5's to go along with my OME 912 springs because the 2" spacers were too much with the 912's.
    I'll challenge that, do you have a link of a 2" poly spacer for $20-30?

Jerry and I bought our spacers from Bob's garage off Ebay/amazon. Best price I could find was around $60 for 2" poly spacers.

Foot in mouth if I overpaid 2-3x.

These were what I was referencing sorry I meant $40-$50 :-)

1" spacer $44 free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1.5" spacer $40 free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    These were what I was referencing sorry I meant $40-$50 :-)

1" spacer $44 free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1.5" spacer $40 free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
    lol it's all good. I looked back at the thread and realized Jerry didn't mention the $70 was specifically for a 2" spacer. Just had to check since I recommended the vendor to him, now I can sleep better knowing we didn't overpay.

Yeah, with shipping it was arround 70. I guess I could have saved a little more $. I probably rounded up a little but can't exactly remember, and Im not an accountant (hate math kuz its hard).
    I'll watch the handling and adjust the front after a little drinving. I do want to make sure I'm not giving everyone the light in the eyes treatment for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Exactly the point about saving on the springs. Now I can get the adjustable lower links and make all the other parts happy again.

Also I would suggest lifetime alignment at Firestone after you get things squared away. I paid once years ago and have had MANY alignments done since then each time I change something with the suspension and steering and no additional charge. I have started to feel bad :-) I think it was originally $130 and it is unlimited alignments for the life of the car after that. Oh and that is the only thing I let Firestone touch on the VX, haha :-) but seriously.

Is a spring compressor needed to add the spacers??
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

No